SweetBabyJ
08-31-2004, 11:48 AM
I been practicin'....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2004/9169-autumnH2O.jpg

10" x 20", hards over softs, Wallis

emmachester
08-31-2004, 12:13 PM
Julie,

You have been practicing indeed! You have amazing control. This one would look great on the wall of my office to cheer me up during our dreary winters. Who needs full spectrum lights?

Sherry

K Taylor-Green
08-31-2004, 12:28 PM
Wow! Julie, Yummy colors, great reflections. No hose for this one!!

Meldy
08-31-2004, 02:14 PM
AMAZING CONTROL! This is beautiful. I only have one complaint... WHEN are you going to do a WIP??? Would love to see you do something like this over time. You make me so curious as to how this progressed! :)

Kitty Wallis
08-31-2004, 02:42 PM
MMMMMMMMM... Delicious!

Deborah Secor
08-31-2004, 03:32 PM
ZING! SNAP! POW!!

Kewl work, Julie...

Deborah

binkie
08-31-2004, 04:42 PM
Gorgeous!!!!!!!

gwen

SweetBabyJ
08-31-2004, 06:15 PM
It's a pretty *wow!* piece, even I get wowed by it when I try and sneak up on it to get a critical look at it. Thank you- I'm right pleased with how it came out.

Me and WIPs don't usually get along, Meldy- easier for me to just tell you how it was done. I toned the Wallis with a medium yellow NuPastel, scrubbed it in and off, and then laid in a light yellow (Schmincke, I think- could be wrong- just a nice pure yellow). Then I came in with a light yellow-y orange, and laid in the patterns there, then used the NuPastel yellow to "glaze/blend"- just a smear kinda to meld the two hues a bit so they weren't so raw. Same with the reds and greens and brownish areas- 'cept they're melded with orange instead. The lavender was done by brushing off the area carefully with a watercolour brush, then a medium blue, a pinky-lavender, and then melded in with very light pinks and lavenders. Grass was done dark-dark green first- just to indicate the clumps and some general stems, then a medium green laid in the rest. Went back in with a few darks and lights and gave the clumps depth. Reflections done by laying in squiggly patches, then smearing straight down, then going back over with squiggly yellows, oranges, and various greens. Voila`! :cool:

Worked for this anyway....

meowmeow
08-31-2004, 06:40 PM
Wow! is right! THis is amazing....you did a fabulous job. Amazing color. Just amazing. Did I say this was amazing? :D Well, it is! You should be proud of yourself...you are dong a bang up job lady!

Sandy

dexonsbabe
08-31-2004, 07:45 PM
What can I say that hasnít already been said WOW FANTASTIC MARVELOUS GREAT WOW WOW AND DOUBLE WOW actually think that now should be TREBLE WOW oh what ever it is DELICIOUS :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Pinecone Conniff
08-31-2004, 09:20 PM
Awesome!! :clap:
I love it!!...Keep "practicin"... :D
Annette

SweetBabyJ
08-31-2004, 09:53 PM
Thank you- I'm glad y'all seem to like it as much as I do.

Kitty? I might use your "picture-plane-extending" framing trick for this one- it'd look luscious that way.

Dyin
08-31-2004, 10:03 PM
two words....show winner :clap: :clap: :clap:

SweetBabyJ
08-31-2004, 10:06 PM
:cool:

But will it get me on Jeopardy??

Dyin
08-31-2004, 10:08 PM
only after it's been stolen :p

SweetBabyJ
08-31-2004, 10:10 PM
HAhahaHAhahaHAhaha!!

DGrau
08-31-2004, 11:14 PM
Looks like you've been practiin' ...........and it PAID OFF!!!!
great job sweet
David

SweetBabyJ
09-01-2004, 01:14 AM
Thanks, David- I'm liking it, too.

Now let's see if I can translate what I've learned to a real live landscape (eeeeeep!)

Kathryn Wilson
09-01-2004, 01:24 PM
ummmm . . . COLOUR!!!!

ummm . . . yeah!!

Wonderful color in this Julie - it just pops off the screen. I think anyone would love to have this in their home. Hope it sells for you!

Dark_Shades
09-01-2004, 02:03 PM
well your practisin :) has definately paid off...... wonderful piece SBJ... I know no one has mentioned it.... so I suppose I am the official 'party pooper' lol .. but my eye does get a little distracted by the lilac ripples cutting across on the top right.... but as Im the only one, take no heed..... always did feel like I was the little boy and the Emperor's New Clothes lolol

..... well done

Kitty Wallis
09-01-2004, 02:35 PM
Without those blue ripples (blue on my monitor) The piece wouldn't be as well composed for my eye.

Meldy
09-01-2004, 02:46 PM
Oh yes.. they whip my eye back into the pic and around again. :)

SweetBabyJ
09-01-2004, 03:10 PM
Oh, I know what you mean, Dawn, they are a secondary center of interest, though, and supposed to draw the eye.

See, this piece is about COLOUR composition- not values. I've always said I see colour differently than most folks- I see specific hues- not values of a RBY and the secondaries. It's one reason I have so damned much trouble with trees- there are far too many greens in them which I cannot match- and without the match, it is not THAT tree.

Look at this in grayscale:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Sep-2004/9169-autumnH2Ogs.jpg

You can see how slight a variation there is in values- apart from the grass, which is noticeably darker. That forces the grass to be a center of interest. However, in grayscale, it's a nifty little piece and all, but only technically- the "look" of water surface is technically well-done and catches the eye a bit. But otherwise, it's pretty danged boring: Two grass clumps in water- oh... wow, she deadpanned. That's where colour comes into play.

The piece is yellow-orange; even with the reds and greens, it's yellow-orange, no two ways about it. Green is analogous to yellow, and so provides very little excitement; using just green as a foil would result in a more monochromatic look. But blue-violet is yellow-orange's complement- and allowing that in to play against it, makes the piece *zing*. The eye enters on grass and reflections, and is then quickly caught by the complement play- it zips up to the right, courtesy of that blue-violet, and then down to the darker reds and browns, then back through the grass- helped along by more blue-violet- to the other side. You can see in grayscale that, without that complement play, it's just a pretty picture- nothing to engage the viewer.

I know it is not comfortably "normal", but, excitement isn't really comfortable, is it?

And, thank you, Kat- I think this may go into the ArtWalk here; I'm in negotiations with my favorite brunch place for this upcoming festival. They've not entered in a few years, but they really, really like me- the owner has made it clear to the wait-staff we are to be treated exceptionally well. I commented once the scalloped potatoes weren't as rich as usual- had they changed the recipe? The owner refused to give me a bill. The Chef will come out to the table to visit with me- and we trade food ideas and jokes. Only drawback is, they're a waterfront cafe, with a waterfront theme thing going on- and I don't do boats. I'm hoping the owner doesn't mind the incongruity.... :rolleyes:

Stoy Jones
09-01-2004, 07:31 PM
the "look" of water surface is technically well-done and catches the eye a bit. But otherwise, it's pretty danged boring: Two grass clumps in water- oh... wow, she deadpanned. That's where colour comes into play.

I agree, it is much more powerful in color, but I think it is more than just well done in grayscale! Water in any color (or lack there-of) can be quite fascinating as it is always changing and reflecting with unnumbered variations to the surface. I think you caught the behavior of water extremely well here! :clap: I think your physical use of this medium is doing as well as all the other aspects of your work! Thanks for the explanations of your piece, too! Whenever I stop in, I always pick up on something new!

Stoy

SweetBabyJ
09-01-2004, 11:16 PM
Thanks, Stoy- like I said in the glass article, explaining something helps me put the pieces into my very own "big picture", so allow me to thank you (and Dawn) for the opportunity to solidify knowledge.

pjo
09-01-2004, 11:45 PM
Wow, I haven't been here for a while and look what I've been missing. Wonderful just doesn't begin to describe it. It's just toooooo good for words.

prestonsega
09-02-2004, 12:51 AM
Its ok if you like that sort of thing....probably needs a touch of gray :rolleyes:

Seriously I think its great....I love colorful paintings...it makes me happy :clap:

SweetBabyJ
09-02-2004, 12:56 AM
Fine- for you, I'll have it printed in grayscale, and then pull a TK on it and just kinda smear a bit of colour over the top- how's that?

Thanks Paula- I likes it.

And now, I'm off to bed- *some* of us don't sleep all day long... (besides, I gotta go grocery shopping tomorrow and plan on it being a heating pad kinda day. I hate grocery shopping)