PDA

View Full Version : Ocean Tide

beachbug
08-31-2004, 09:14 AM
Please critique. I can take it :rolleyes:
I am just learning.

Artguy29
08-31-2004, 09:24 AM
Great colors and composition, beachbug! I think you need to adjust the trunk of the palm trees. It looks as if there is no way that they can hold up those leaves. To do this, simply make them wider at the bottom and just go up the trunk, getting narrower as you go up, but wider then you have them now. The sand also needs some more color. Try adding a varity of earth tones (burnt/raw sienna, burnt/raw umber, etc.) using little dabs of colors here and there. Try and use or mix as many earth tones as you can; this will give the sand a lot of interest. Another thing I would suggest doing is to have the water come up over the sand. You want to avoid "lines" in your paintings, which are formed, in this one, from the shape of the sand. And by the way, what surface is this on? Size?

Dave

coherent
08-31-2004, 09:33 AM
I like the palm leaves, good job. A little hard to tell if it's the photo or the painting but the sand looks a little light. Only thing about it that didn't look right was the sun. Not sure if it's a bit out of round or the colors. Maybe someone else can offer advise there. Thanks for sharing and keep it up. Looking forward to seeing more of your work in the future.
-marc

Lady Carol
08-31-2004, 10:02 AM
Beautiful and serene. You have some good advice, I do not have anything else to add.

You might also want to post this in the Marine Art forum and see what they have to say over there.

BRIDGES
08-31-2004, 10:41 AM
Nice to look at..But..needs more variety in colors. The palm leaves too uniformed. Need also colors, burnt umbers whitened, lightened..darks and lights..some falling down etc.dead sheaves, study a palm..other peoples, if not near any...
Do enlarge palm trunks. Water way too stark bright..more like photo. nature is softer,,shadowed. But keep on painting it all comes with many works, and looser strokes. Bridges

jbitzel
08-31-2004, 12:31 PM
The sun is the only thing that bothers me, it looks too muted. The sky can be soft and hazy but the sun is always very bright. James

sassybird
08-31-2004, 04:41 PM
I agree with all the suggestions given, the only two things that bother me are the color of the son and the waves, both need more light to them. Where the waves crest you need some good high lights to punch them up.