PDA

View Full Version : critique please

Art_man
08-31-2004, 08:32 AM
Hi,

Well, I'm at it again. I figure I can get a few more caricatures in before school starts on Thursday. Here's my latest. Please, comments, feedback, and suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
Ricky :)

AFM159
08-31-2004, 03:15 PM
Hey Art Man!

Just a couple thoughts. I'm not particularly qualified to critique caricatures, so I don't want to discourage you in anyway. I would rather encourage you to keep after it. And I wonder if the best way for you to proceed with these is to maybe practice doing regular portraits of people for a while till you get the hang of capturing a likeness. Then go back to trying to exagerate.

Keep at it whatever you do.

designbyjen
08-31-2004, 09:50 PM
the points i would have personally thought to exaggerate (that is...if i could DO a charic.-ha ha), these are features that 'stick out' to me anyways: the eyes=real squinty w/ the almost clumped lashes, the upper teeth, the pointy nature of the underside of the upper lip, the top cheekbone area=there's a good ballish quality going on there that could be played w/.
for your drawing...i feel her teeth def. deserve more attn. then that bottom lip. big pearly whites & a good gumline really stand out to me.

that's my dig on it.
welcome back kotter (whoops, way b-4 your time)...welcome back to school :rolleyes:
~~~jen

Jason Seiler
09-01-2004, 11:21 PM
Hey bud, just wanted to say that I think you did well on this one. I agree with what others have said...its important to understand the features realistically, understanding the muscles, the shape, the form of the face. This will help you get the likeness...then go ahead and try exaggerating more.

The one feature that I think throws this one off a bit is the mouth. Her teath are much bigger, and the curve of her teeth and jaw are much different then what you put down, also I'd hold back on her bottom lip a bit!

You're doing great man! I bet you encourage a lot of people here on wetcanvas, the way you keep pumping these out! Keep it up man...
-Jason

Art_man
09-01-2004, 11:41 PM
Hi Everyone,

thanks so much!!!! I appreciate everyone's kind words and encouragement. Everyone here inspires me. I think I went a little overboard on the bottom lip (er, that's an understatement) hehe. I still have a hard time knowing what to exaggerate. I do see that it would have been better with squintier eyes (is squintier a word - oh well, it is now lol), maybe bigger teeth and a wider mouth (but smaller lower lip). Oh well, I'm going to re-work this one using everyone's suggestions. I'll post it when it's finished. In the meantime, I posted a WIP pic of my newest portrait that I'm working on. It's posted in the sketching & drawing forum and the portraiture forum. Check it out!!! Thanks again for the kind words, inspiration, and encouragement.

Ricky :)

Axl
09-02-2004, 12:04 AM
Just thought I'd hop in and add a link to your current portrait, so everyone can go take a peak :D http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=213448

AFM159
09-02-2004, 12:04 PM
Cool, thanks Axl.

I went and checked it out. It looks like you were already doing what I suggested, so keep it up! Looks good!