PDA

View Full Version : Q re photo file size

jackiesimmonds
08-31-2004, 07:38 AM
I seem, lately, to be having problems with my photo file size, and so often have to resize to fit WC's requirements.

Even if I resize my photo down to less than 600 pixels on the biggest side, I still often end up with a photo which is more than 100 K. None of my photo editing programmes tell me the K size, only the pixels and the byte size. For example, one of my photos is 397x490 pixels, plenty small enuff for WC, and it is 584,080 bytes ... but it is more than 100 K.

How do I get it right?

dexonsbabe
08-31-2004, 07:45 AM
I have been having the same problem I change pixel size to 600 x 500 and still get error so have to change the print size then it seems to load. :confused:

Kathryn Wilson
08-31-2004, 08:36 AM
Hi Jackie! Welcome back - looks like everyone had a great time in Santa Fe.

You didn't indicate which program you are using to re-size your pictures, but in Photoshop when you save the photo as a JPG file, there is a menu that pops up called "JPG OPtions" - if you lower the "quality" down to 8, I've been having better luck in getting the pictures down to acceptable size for WC.

See if that helps.

meowmeow
08-31-2004, 09:24 AM
One of the problems is that it can be 500x600 but not 600x500!!!! This is a royal pain if you do landscapes. I posted about this at onetime and Scott kind of explained why but I didn't really get it.

Mary Robinson
08-31-2004, 11:16 AM
You can right click on the photo and go to properties it will give you a k size :)

Mary

Deborah Secor
08-31-2004, 11:51 AM
Jackie, I'm no computer expert (needless to say) but the way I understand it there are three elements that come into play: height and width in pixels AND the resolution of the digital photo. I think this is the same thing Kat is suggesting... :) If you have the resolution higher, the picture is still a large file (often over the limit), so by resaving it in a lower resolution it will be smaller. I often choose 72 pixels per inch, or less, to make it smaller in Photoshop.

Hope that helps a bit more.

Deborah

Khadres
08-31-2004, 12:52 PM
Yep, I ran up against the same trouble! Apparently, the max WIDTH can only be up to 500 whereas it can be 600 tall. And when you save your .jpg file, tell it to save it at a lesser "quality"....as Kat says, set it for 7 or 8 or so if you're given the option at save time. I've gotten in the habit of just resizing everything I plan to post before getting online....if you have a bunch to do, it's easier to do 'em all at one sitting. And be sure to keep your original safe, so that you have the best size and quality for future use!

SweetBabyJ
08-31-2004, 01:04 PM
It's metric, Jackie- and computer language, too. There are:

bits
bytes
kilobits
kilobytes
megabits
megabytes
gigabits
gigabytes

That's smallest to largest, okay? But, because they're computer, they don't add up quite in the tens and hundreds way we expect metric to do. So...

Here's a nifty little site that'll help you figure out bits to bytes to megabytes et al: http://www.matisse.net/mcgi-bin/bits.cgi Try popping 1 in the "amount" area, and then choosing "kilobytes" (which is what 1k means) and then you can see how many bytes and bits and all that is.

Another thing to watch out for when messing with pics in photo-editing is the file form they're saved in- a .jpg file extension means the pic has been compressed into jpg format and is, relatively, small size-wise. But a .bmp (bitmap) is comparatively huge, file size-wise. Make sure you're converting and saving in jpg- no matter what size the pic is pixel-wise.

You may have to break down and learn some basic photo or paint shop pro, Jackie- it's the standard, and is only confusing right at first. If you want a quickie tutorial, let me know and I'll give you an easy-to-follow "click this, click that" list of how to do basic editing with it.

CarlyHardy
08-31-2004, 01:42 PM
I save files for the internet at 72 dpi which is fine for viewing but not fine if its printed out. Then I size the image to 6.5 inches x whatever along the longest side. Then the longest side is under 500 pixels.

If you use the uploader instead of the attachment feature, your image will get resized to fit....unless its exceptionally large :)

carly

Deborah Secor
08-31-2004, 04:44 PM
Whoohooo! Julie--that web page is worth the price of admission here alone! (Okay, more... :rolleyes: ) Thanks so much for linking it!!! I really need that one.

Deborah

CanOBeans
09-01-2004, 06:51 AM
A couple things to add...

For on-screen viewing, it's generally useless to have a resolution of more than 72 dpi -- so be sure to check your resolution.

Also, in PhotoShop (6.0 and higher) there is an option under the file menu to "Save for web." This will optimize the compression, etc. for images posted on the internet. A huge time saver and it always gets me much lower file size than doing it manually. My files usually end up between 25 and 70K. Check your programs for something similar.

And always save in .jpg -- but! -- avoid saving and resaving images in .jpg format because each time you compress, you lose quality. If you plan to do many edits to a file, save it in .tif format.

HTH,
Jill

jackiesimmonds
09-01-2004, 06:58 AM
thanks for all this info. I do use 72 dpi, but clearly the file sizes are large, so that doesn't help enuff.

I will do what everyone suggests and see what happens.

later: I tried the photoshop "save for web", and that worked beautifully. Will stick with that in future. ( See my post about Albert Handell's demo in Pastels Studio.)

thanks again
Jackie