PDA

View Full Version : S&T, Tuesday August 31

MadameKali
08-31-2004, 04:13 AM
Well, I finally finished something... lol

The necklace is the finished product of my beach glass thingy. I made little hemp ropes, then finished it off with chain and a temporary clasp (I need to run and get more clasps ASAP!). I'm going again with the natural vs. industrial look. I also discovered today that I mistakenly bought aluminum wire instead of steel. :crying: it's much weaker, and has a gross black rub-off. Grr! Now I'm stuck with 50 feet of useless wire.

Also, by request (I don't remember who requested it, but hopefully they will read this S&T thread), I'm adding a couple of OT pictures in today's WIA thread of my graphic art. (I hope this is kosher, since it was by request? I don't want to send people searching through unfamiliar forums...)

Oskadis
08-31-2004, 04:54 AM
Ahh that necklace is looking better and better ;) Great item.

Would love to see a closeup of the spiraly wire element at the back tho :)

Here something from me. Kind of an afterthought from my "choker outburst". It's black :evil: cluny lace, czech glass beads and an acrylic sewn-on faceted drop in the center - it is so black that I am afraid it is not showing well in the pic. Oh well ...

Jacinthe
08-31-2004, 07:16 AM
Susie - I really like the combination of the hemp and the metal work, but that clasp is too busy for the simplicity of the rest of the necklace.

Karen - I can see your picture just fine. Looks like the wire work is shining VERY brightly.

Hugs from Holland,
Sarah

MadameKali
08-31-2004, 08:50 AM
Yep, I dunno if I forgot to mention... the clasp is a "temp" clasp--so I could see how it lay around my neck! I'm low on general clasp supply at the moment.. *blush*

TheBlueBetween
08-31-2004, 11:32 AM
:wave: :wave: I have something , I have something!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sorry, it's been awhile :o

So... it turned out art deco looking - not at all what I started out to make... everything about this is new for me - beaded bezel, square stitch, the design.... it took me days to get it done. I need a good Ott light ASAP before I go blind.

Andee
08-31-2004, 12:13 PM
Susie - nice necklace, it looks great with the ropes!

Karen - another great choker!

Pam - you have something, you have something! :) :) And what a beautie! Absolutely gorgeous, and I just love the colours! :clap: :clap:

beclectic
08-31-2004, 12:31 PM
Karen, I like all that draping crystal. Your jewelry makes me think of opera.

Susie, vey beachy looking, I like the asymentry. You said you tried it on, how does it feel? What are you planning for a clasp? A thai silver starfish and hemp loop would be neat.

Pam, I like the colors, the work is beautiful and the design is interesting and attractive, but, and you knew there was a but didn't you? It just doesn't look like your style. That might be a good thing in that you don't want people to always expect you to do the same thing but this just doesn't say PAM to me. I don't know why. I really like the beaded bezel and I think you should explore it's possibilities more. I hope I haven't hurt your feelings, that would be the last thing I want to do.

Nothing for me today.

TheBlueBetween
08-31-2004, 12:40 PM
Barbara - don't you worry! I know exactly what you mean and I meant to say that - this is soooo NOT me! I don't know where it came from! It just evolved. Which is a good thing sometimes I think - it's no fun being stuck in a rut - and I have been stuck in something for a couple of weeks so I'll take what I can get. This little bezel thing kept me up for 2-3 nights trying to tell me what it wanted done with it... I drew sketches and everything. It was going to be a necklace. And see what happened. LOL.

I'm sorry Karen and Susie I totally spaced commenting on your pretties! Nice work both of you! Susie, the hemp looks better than I thought it would... gives it a beachy feel after all. Looking forward to seeing it with your final clasp.

Juls
08-31-2004, 12:48 PM
Susie, Your seaglass necklace is really unique and lovely! I love the natural combined with the metal work...great job!!

Karen, That choker makes me want to put on stilettos and go clubbing. ;) Too bad I'm 33 and not 23....

Pam, I love your bracelet! I have a huge fascination with beaded unique closures on my jewelry...so much so that they often are interchangeable with the focal for display! As a dear friend of mine always says, "less is just less after all~" Great color scheme and unique use of accent beads in your design! :clap: :clap: :clap:

As for it perhaps not being your typical style, it can be wonderfully fulfilling to get out of our creative boxes and get some fresh air and ideas. I play in several bead groups, and I am inspired by all of the jewelry I see in them...and some of it definitely influences my future work!

Nothing from me. I have been playing with fire mostly and still haven't finished that bracelet I started last week. :p

hugs~
~Juls

TheBlueBetween
08-31-2004, 12:50 PM
I really like the beaded bezel and I think you should explore it's possibilities more.

I plan on it! LOL., I really like them too - I walked through an order of cabs from Fire Mountain and then didn't submit them - it came to over $90 and I really have spent too much money lately. And then I would need all matching colors in size 14/15 seed beads... more money.... I need to use up what I have and sell what I make before I get anything else! I have a couple of glass cabs here that want to be necklaces... and I want to experiment making some lampwork cabs of my own... but i need some torch time. Time and money....

TheBlueBetween
08-31-2004, 12:59 PM
Pam, I love your bracelet! I have a huge fascination with beaded unique closures on my jewelry...so much so that they often are interchangeable with the focal for display! As a dear friend of mine always says, "less is just less after all~" Great color scheme and unique use of accent beads in your design! :clap: :clap: :clap:

As for it perhaps not being your typical style, it can be wonderfully fulfilling to get out of our creative boxes and get some fresh air and ideas. I play in several bead groups, and I am inspired by all of the jewelry I see in them...and some of it definitely influences my future work!

hugs~
~Juls

Thanks Juls! I can definitely credit you for influencing this piece ;) Thank you so much for the tutorial - I'm just thrilled I can do this now. I beaded a bezel on a square glass cab this weekend and it came out great too. And I went to Micheals and got those tiles you used in your beautiful bracelet - I'm dying to make something with them but I"m afraid I'm going to end up copying yours I love it so much!

I picked up a book yesterday that you might enjoy if you don't have it already: Exquisite Beaded Jewelery by Lynda Musante - lots of freeform seed bead work - just your thing - it's great!

Andee
08-31-2004, 01:07 PM
Hi again!

I didn't think I could come up with anything today, but decided to give it a try nonetheless. Glass and freshwater pearls in a nice eggfruit-like colour which doesn't show too well on the pic... And yeah, it's uninspired, but at least I made something! :)

TheBlueBetween
08-31-2004, 03:24 PM
Andee just brought it to my attention that I never posted my gift for the Chinese Auction over here! It happened right as I was heading out the door to the bead thing at Pegs this weekend and I totally spaced it! So here it is.

And Andee - I like the color combo - pretty nice for uninspired ;) But what is an egg-fruit? Is that an Eggplant? Purple squash looking vegi?

Smooches,
Pam

Andee
08-31-2004, 03:43 PM
Pam - I'm glad you posted the pic here, more people need to see it!! :) As I said, that necklace is stunningly beautiful! :clap: Erm, yeah, I thought eggplant = the plant and eggfruit = the fruit that grows on those plants... :D

TheBlueBetween
08-31-2004, 03:46 PM
Erm, yeah, I thought eggplant = the plant and eggfruit = the fruit that grows on 'em... :D

LOL! I didn't know if you called them something different in your part of the world or if you were talking about something else alltogether!

Andee
08-31-2004, 03:48 PM
Pam - yeah, actually we just call them Auberginen, but the "old" name is Eierfrucht which is the literal translation of eggfruit, so... ;)

MadameKali
08-31-2004, 06:06 PM
All righty, quick gushy post ;)

Karen, as USUAL, I love the choker. I think the beaded chain works really well with it, too.

Pam, even if the bracelet isn't your usual style--it's purdy and sometimes you need to make SOMETHING just to be.. keeping your place? :) Yeah, I ended up using the hemp :o the leather was a good idea--I just wish I HAD some, where I already have copious amounts of hemp. (grumbles, can't wait til payday) I definitely love your Chinese auction piece, too!

Ooh, Barbara--Starfish, eh? I don't know much about thai silver, but if I could find a base metal starfish to go with the base metal that I used..... that would be awesome.

Juls, you can go clubbing at 33, you silly! Heck, my friends who are 40 go clubbing with me.. they actually drag ME out to the club :)

Andee, I dig the "eggfruit" necklace ;) (And think it would be an adorable name for the piece--Eggfruit. hehe) I don't generally like purple, but the purples I DO like are usually either lilac or eggplant, really light or really dark.

Okay, I have to scuttle off to work! Anybody need a cappuccino?

Juls
08-31-2004, 06:51 PM
I beaded a bezel on a square glass cab this weekend and it came out great too. And I went to Micheals and got those tiles you used in your beautiful bracelet - I'm dying to make something with them but I"m afraid I'm going to end up copying yours I love it so much!

I picked up a book yesterday that you might enjoy if you don't have it already: Exquisite Beaded Jewelery by Lynda Musante - lots of freeform seed bead work - just your thing - it's great!

Pam, a square one! :clap: :clap: You are my hero! I tried a square one when I first learned...uh huh..yeah..riiiiiiiight. It was months before I had the patience to try again.

As far as an alike bracelet, I don't mind if you don't! I didn't invent the use of the attached cabachons...and they are so wonderful to make and wear. Yulia Crystal is the first person I saw making them a couple of years ago...and I could sit staring at her website drooling on my keyboard for hours at her precision. (she was featured in a B&B this year finally!)

I don't have that book....will definitely have to check it out! Thanks for the tip.

hugs~
~Juls

Juls
08-31-2004, 06:58 PM
Juls, you can go clubbing at 33, you silly! Heck, my friends who are 40 go clubbing with me.. they actually drag ME out to the club :)

Okay, I have to scuttle off to work! Anybody need a cappuccino?

:D I don't think my DH would like it very much since he is in Korea for a year. The few times I have gone out with the girls in the past, I have encountered that "well, you are here and he isn't, so you MUST be looking for something" jerk...or 5 of them...

But you can bet he owes me a few nights out when he gets home! :evil: :angel:

and mmmmmmmm, an English Toffee Cappuccino sounds divine!

hugs~
~Juls

beclectic
08-31-2004, 08:33 PM
Pam - yeah, actually we just call them Auberginen, but the "old" name is Eierfrucht which is the literal translation of eggfruit, so... ;)

Our languages share a lot. We call that color aubergine.

Beads-Me!
08-31-2004, 09:28 PM
Interesting work today my friends! :)

TheBlueBetween
08-31-2004, 09:39 PM
Here is another one from me - and a little bit about its inspiration. I bought another book yesterday all about healing stones/crystals and colors - it was in the bargain section at Borders so what the heck - it has some great pictures of stones and gives some great info about what certain stones can do for people and how colors can make people feel. It also has just some wonderful photographs - for example a little villiage in Greece with the blues and terracottas, a zebra, some sunsets, some pink flamingos in tall green grass - a picture of a woman in a pink shirt wearing a turquoise necklace and bracelet... inspiration kind of photos. Fun stuff!

So I was looking through and recognized a stone that I was drawn to at the Two Crane's booth earlier this summer - there were prettier ones (I must have looked at 50 of this type) but this one called me. It's Rhodochrosite and it's supposed to help encourage a more positive view of oneself. Well what woman doesn't need a little help in that area? So I made this for myself. Rhodochrosite and turquoise (turquoise is supposed to give the wearer confidence and strengthens life-energy - I need more energy).

I would never have come up with this color combo on my own but I really like it! I do wish the stones were even blue-er. But this works for now!

beclectic
08-31-2004, 10:52 PM
Pam I love that color combo. I have some bluer turquoise but not in those nice fat rondels. This is an outstanding piece it makes me feel good to just look at it. I like the way you made it asymetrical. What are the stones/beads next to the pendent, more rhodocrosite? I may have some rondells, I just remembered. I'll look and let you know tomorrow.

TheBlueBetween
08-31-2004, 11:15 PM
Hi Barbara - thank you ! They are silver rondels next to the focal - it looks like they are reflecting the pink, though - IRL they look silver. I'm really happy with it, I don't think I'm going to take it off for awhile ;)

Oskadis
09-01-2004, 04:11 AM
Hi!

Beautiful work!

Pam, that bracelet is beautiful - love the evenness and shimmer of it. I bet it must feel really soft to the touch :) And wow! that necklace for the chinese auction. With what stitch did you make the rope? It's wonderful.
I like the turquoise-rhodochrosite necklace too - although indeed, if the turquoise had been bluer it would have made still a better contrast.

Andee, that necklace is very elegant. Inspired or not - très chic, madame :wink2: .

Not clubbing at 33?? I am 31 and nobody is gonna stop ME :evil:

Have a nice day!

Gingerbiscuit
09-01-2004, 09:32 AM
Our languages share a lot. We call that color aubergine.

And we call the colour and the fruit "aubergine." :)