PDA

View Full Version : Oil pastel: Still experimenting

digistyle
10-18-2001, 06:00 PM
Tried out quite a few things on this study.

1. I blended only using the pastel sticks, no fingers or stumps.
2. Used hard pressure on the bed covers, blending colors by overlaying color.
3. Used lighter pressure on the walls, allowing the tooth of the paper to contribute to the texture.
4. Built all of the shadows by layering multiple colors.
5. Defined the figure with short strokes of color.

There are a number of drawing/proportion errors in this one (I went straight to the pastels without an under drawing), but my main goal was to try out the various techniques. One other thing I learned is that I need to paint on larger paper to do any justice to figures.

The reference photo was from a "how to shoot..." photography book. It helps that these types of photo are composed similarly to paintings.

Any comments/suggestions welcomed.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2001/nudeoilpastel.JPG

Javier
10-19-2001, 07:57 AM
Digistyle, first of all I want you to know that I am a watercolourist, but in a watercolour art class the other day I heard the instructor say, "....oil pastels are so hard to work with that she doesn't even own any...".

Not knowing what effect you are trying for and I am assuming that you have art experience; therefore, I looked at you painting as a realist would, because I am a realist.

There is a shadow missing from the left front bed post.
Your subject will have to sit up in bed -- the bed is to short.
You need contrast to show detail.

Just some thoughts.

The Best of Luck,

digistyle
10-25-2001, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the critique, Javier! I am finding oil pastels to be a real challenge. I'm going check out the links that Artistry posted and try another one soon. I'll plan it out better and use larger paper.

digistyle

Tony Perrotta
10-25-2001, 08:31 PM
Hi Digi, I like it. I've still been experimenting with the oil pastels that I have. I find that my work comes out looking too 'crayony' looking,and like I said before it seems hard to cover the paper. I am a beginning painter in all mediums so maybe I am expecting too much. Have you tried soft pastels, I think that is what I am going to do. I don't like the resistance of the oil pastel stick on the paper it doesn't seem smooth to me. What do you think.

Tony

Katie Miller
11-21-2001, 09:24 PM
did you copy this from edvard munch's "puberty"? the compostition is a bit different but the pose of the figure is exactly the same.

kjsspot
11-21-2001, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Javier
Digistyle"....oil pastels are so hard to work with that she doesn't even own any...".
I love using oil pastel. =) On my ebay auction artwork (http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewListedItems&userid=kerryjo&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25) you'll see a unique method that I use with oil pastels. It's a form of resist that works rather well for me.

Also I have another method that works well for me as well. Lemme see if I can find a photo of one... Basically I lay down a graphite drawing first. Then I use my oil pastels and take a brush to it with a solvent creating a wash. Still looking... OK. Not the best photos but here ya go. Here's a detail of the picture.

http://members.aol.com/kjodesign/pics/baby2.jpg

And here's the whole picture

http://members.aol.com/kjodesign/pics/babyTN.jpg

digistyle
11-21-2001, 10:58 PM
Tony: I've tried hard and soft pastels, chalk and most recently, pastel pencil. I think that I will continue to work with all of them, oil pastel included. I've been doing more reading and experimenting. I expect that something will "click" eventually.

Katie: I looked up edvard munch's "puberty" on the web. You are right, the pose is the same. I got my reference from a photography book. After seeing the painting, I can see that the photographer was recreating munch's work, "puberty," with the camera lens as the medium. A case of art imitating art imitating art :).

kjsspot: I like your work! The candles painting is my favorite. Thanks for sharing! I have some Turpinoid that I plan on using on my next oil pastel. I'll post it if it doesn't trun out too bad :).

digistyle

kjsspot
11-21-2001, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by digistyle
kjsspot: I like your work! The candles painting is my favorite. Thanks for sharing! I have some Turpinoid that I plan on using on my next oil pastel. I'll post it if it doesn't trun out too bad :).
digistyle

Thanks, I appreciate your praise! =) The ones on ebay are paintings that I can do fairly quickly so they can sell for lower $$. My more expensive stuff is on my website. <g>

For the resist style, I prefer a good watercolor paper with some tooth to it.

For the wash style, I prefer something that is very smooth.

I also have worked in one more style with oil pastels. I forgot to mention this one. This is just straight oil pastel. The color is layered and blended as it's applied. The thing to keep in mind when doing this style is to make sure you keep your sticks clean. Keep a cloth nearby to wipe them with because they will pick up the other colors and mess it up if you're not careful. Here's an example of this last style. (http://www.kjmontoya.com/santa.html)