PDA

View Full Version : WIP--Ruby CKCS Puppy

Irene Prior
08-30-2004, 11:11 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Aug-2004/31201-Ruby-Puppy-Pastel-83004.jpg

Ok, I know you're all goning to get tired of seeing Cavaliers, but what can I say...I'm in love with the breed :D

Anyway, this is my 4th pastel painting and I'm still not sure what I'm doing. I've bought at least 6 pastel books, each one describes different ways to apply pastels, never being clear enough for me to grasp technique. I've bought two pastel magazines and really love some of the paintings and the fine detail the artists were able to achieve. This is the stuff I would like to someday be able to produce. I guess I'm seeing with each pastel I've done, it's a matter of how heavy your hand is when you apply the pastel, using different directions to achieve texture, and figuring out that it's building of color that makes the difference.

This painting was done on Wallis paper using sennlier soft pastels,pastel pencils, and nupastels.

Now having said all that...using pastels has been a real learning experience. I like the fact that the painting goes fast, but the dust and messy fingers is a real problem for me.... I guess I'll figure how to work around the dust and keep my fingers cleaner :)

Anyway I'm just babbling C & C appreciated.

Irene

Artistammy
08-31-2004, 01:23 PM
After having done what you've done with reading books, practice is the next most important thing. The more you work at it, the better you will do.
As for the dust, the products like Body Glove you rub on your hands keep the pastel from adhering to your hands as much & it washes off easier also.

Deborah Secor
08-31-2004, 02:03 PM
Hi Irene. I love painting dogs too! Is this one a puppy or is it a mature one that looks a bit puppyish? (Sorry, I don't recognize the breed... :confused: )

If this was my painting I'd do a couple of things: try adding some stronger dark colors into the area beneath the dog's chin to give it some depth, maybe by layering in some dark purples or blues (or use black if you must), then the reds back over it. Add some stronger darks to his eyes, too, so the nose isn't so prominent. Then, add a little lighter chin to bring his face forward, and some strokes of grass up over his paws.

I love your color choices--and the pose is cute. He looks like he's about to dart off in one direction to play!

Show us what you decide to do...!

Deborah

K Taylor-Green
08-31-2004, 03:18 PM
What an adorable face!! You have some good advice from Dee. Looking forward to updates.

binkie
08-31-2004, 03:42 PM
What a cutie!

gwen

Khadres
08-31-2004, 06:36 PM
Cute pooch! Dee's advice is good....and you might want to just take a small sheet of Wallis and dabble with different techniques...doodles, so to speak, giving yourself a chance to just experiment with the best ways for you to achieve what you're after. I'm learning that "wasting" a bit of paper is WELL worth it...specially if it's Wallis, cause it's never really wasted anyway...can clean it off and start all over as often as you want!

DGrau
08-31-2004, 10:09 PM
Youv'e already gotten some good advice so will just say cute dog. It looks as if it is ready to pop up and dart in an instant ;) You also really captured an intense reflection in its eyes
Good job
David

Irene Prior
09-01-2004, 01:35 AM
Thank you Artistammy,Dee,Kate,Gwen,Khadres, and David for taking a look and commenting.

Artistammy...your right about practice and thanks for the tip about the body gloves.

Dee...this is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Ruby puppy that's about 8 weeks old. I own Cavalier's so they are the source of my inspiration :D
I like the suggestions you gave and will incorporate them into my painting.

Khadres...this painting was actually done on a scatch piece of Wallis paper that was given to me by a very good friend of Kitty's. Ann gave me a rather large piece so I plan to use for practice. I haven't tried re-using the Wallis paper yet, but that is next on my list. Running this under water!

I will post after I re-work the suggestions that Dee gave me.

Thanks again...

Irene