PDA

View Full Version : My first pastel attempt

mzshodan
08-30-2004, 10:43 PM
Hi Everyone, my name's Jenni and I'm new to soft pastels. I've been following this forum for a little while, trying to get some hints and tips along the way before I started. I usually do graphite and charcoal portraits, I've dabbled a little bit in watercolour but really wanted to try my hand at pastels. I bought a set of micador pastels and used my A3 arches watercolour paper for this rose. I chose this particular subject as I didnt want to be overloaded with colour on my first attempt. I needed something that I could use to practice technique more than anything to start off with (if you know what I mean). I would appreciate any comments or critiques.

Jenni

SweetBabyJ
08-30-2004, 11:09 PM
Hi Jenni- welcome to the dusty side. Good-looking rose there- I don't know the brand of pastels you're using, though. S'okay- you cannot ever have enough colours, and soon you'll be buying stick after stick like a seasoned pro. Nice delicate touch, it looks like- is the paper showing through as your white? Darks and greens are difficult sometimes; but they seem much easier once you have LOTS more colours. Well, I lie- but that's the excuse we use for buying more and more and more....

mzshodan
08-30-2004, 11:39 PM
Thanks SweetbabyJ, I think the pastel brand is just a cheapie but I thought that was safer to try to see if I like it or not. Yes thats the paper showing through as my white, guess thats the drawer in me lol. After reading your comment it occured to me that my paper is offwhite and I've got white pastels so why the hell didnt I use them lol. Ah well, all part of the learning process I guess. With the greens I really couldnt see the leaves in the reference, but new that they were there so I used a dark green then highlighted slightly with a light green and stopped before I ruined it completely.

Thanks for the comments, I'm going to enjoy hanging over at the "dusty side"

Jenni

K Taylor-Green
08-31-2004, 03:16 AM
Oh Jenni, you are going to get soooooo addicted!! Really nice first try. If you love to draw, you are going to love pastels. Welcome!

mzshodan
08-31-2004, 05:09 AM
Thank you so much Kate, I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can from you guys!

Jenni

Khadres
08-31-2004, 06:44 PM
Welcome to the only place on the net where dust bunnies are considered okay! :D Very nice rose, specially for a first try and NOOOOOO, I wouldn't go back and use white for your lights at all! The off-white is much the better choice since white pastel tends to chalkify...new word there...and deaden things...same with pure black. Looks like you're doing very well with your first pastel experiment! Can't wait to see more as you progress!

Deborah Secor
08-31-2004, 08:10 PM
Hi Jenni--Nice meeting you and welcome into the dust! Yep, it's addicting all right. I like your rose, especially the gesture of it, with it's petals going off and away there a bit.

If you want to see a little more about techniques in pastel you might take a look at the ESP thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209061), which has a bit about scumbling, glazing and feathering, or take a peek at our Reference Library. Be careful, though, if you haven't been there before--we've lost people for a loooooong time in there!

Hope we see more of your pastels. Have fun! :)

Deborah

DGrau
08-31-2004, 10:55 PM
Great first attempt. Your rose has a nice soft look to it. Do check out Dee's esp thread and give it a try. Looking forward to seeing more of your paintings :)
David