PDA

View Full Version : Yucca in the Evening

SweetBabyJ
08-30-2004, 09:29 PM
So anyway, after not doing much this weekend, I dove right in this morning warming up with this piece I've been wanting to get to for awhile. I figure it's good practice for the next one- which will be a real challenge in colour control. C&C if'n you like, and thanks for looking. (Standard Disclaimer: 10" x 5" I think it is, hards over softs mostly, Wallis)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Aug-2004/9169-eveningsunyucca.jpg

Edit: Seeing it here, I can see I didn't lose edges quite as much as I thought, so will go back and feather them in a bit more in places.

Dyin
08-30-2004, 09:37 PM
I like how they look lit from below and the strong color choices...got me curious about your next one now :)

SweetBabyJ
08-30-2004, 09:42 PM
lol- me too!! :wink2:

hahaha!

One of ElGeeko's pics- splashy colour- yummy. It'll be tricky- trying to layer blue-violets over bright yellow without going to green.... it'll be fun, anyway.

Thanks- I liked the way they were lit, and the way dusk was caught in their colours.

Meldy
08-30-2004, 09:52 PM
Sooo Beautiful! You have captured emotion in this one. I totally want to look at it forever. :) I can't wait for your next one!!!!

Dyin
08-30-2004, 10:31 PM
don't know if you can do the softies same as oilies, but on toitle I laid down a red violet over the yellow and then the blue violet...no greens :D Can't wait to see!

SweetBabyJ
08-30-2004, 11:17 PM
Why, thank-you Meldy! What a nice thing to say! I'm pleased with it- as always, it's better "in real".

That's kinda what I figured to do, Sue, lay in a red-tone, and then take it to blue-lavender- if I'm very careful with placement (Ha! With MY hands- right!) it'll work. I think. I hope. I'm almost sure, anyway....

No coffee tomorrow morning, methinks- I don't need my nerves firing any more weirdly than they already do....

dexonsbabe
08-31-2004, 05:58 AM
Very nice Julie as always :clap: :D

Dark_Shades
08-31-2004, 08:41 AM
Our Yucca's are different here.... definately Yucca :) .... yours are definately yummy ...... love the colours and warmth...... another great piece SBJ

khourianya
08-31-2004, 11:32 AM
This is positively luminous! Beautiful job, SBJ!

SweetBabyJ
08-31-2004, 11:45 AM
Thanks, Lori- but better scratch the "as always" part- I have a whole stack of "waiting for the garden hose" pieces currently in the corner awaiting their just punishment.

I always thought yucca were aptly named, Dawn- they're oddly striking the first time you see them, but after a few weeks (years) they lose some of their charm. And then you see them with the light on them juuuust right, and *POW!* They're gorgeous again.

lol- Thank you, Cori- apparently, I'm into colour....

K Taylor-Green
08-31-2004, 12:31 PM
Wonderful piece, Julie. Gorgeous blue-purples!

binkie
08-31-2004, 05:03 PM
Julie, I love this one. I have yuccas all over my yard but don't pay much attention to them. Now I'll have to go have a second look. Your colors and the light source is just soooooooooooooo beautiful!

gwen

SweetBabyJ
08-31-2004, 06:20 PM
Thanks Kate- I was afraid it was too blue, but it seems to show the light I wanted, so must be okay.

Yeah, Gwen- it's kinda backlit, and by a sunset, so the colours change, and the light-dark pattern is quite minimal. Means where the light DOES strike, it's very important. Maybe you should try getting some pics of yucca at sunset one evening and see what happens.

meowmeow
08-31-2004, 06:38 PM
Ooohhhh....I love it! The color is fabulous and the way you did the lighting is really intruiging. Very nice. Now I'll wait for the next one! :D

Sandy

SweetBabyJ
08-31-2004, 09:51 PM
lol- Thanks, Sandy- luckily it worked so you didn't have a long wait....

DGrau
08-31-2004, 11:02 PM
Wow..cool. didn't know yuccas flowered and so beautifully at that.
well done sweet
david

SweetBabyJ
09-01-2004, 01:13 AM
Yup- yucca's put up a spire or four of bell-shaped, usually yellowish white flowers- they're quite striking in that gray-green very sharp foliage. Sometimes, the outer petals have a pinkish blush, but usually, you'd need an odd light source to get these kinds of colours- odd in this case being the last rays of sun in the evening.

prestonsega
09-02-2004, 01:43 AM
Now this is a truly great work,,one that would make a good inspiration pic for a living room make over! :clap: :clap:

Paula Ford
09-02-2004, 02:01 AM
Oh Julie, this is beautiful. Love the colors, they are so rich and lovely!! Paula

SweetBabyJ
09-02-2004, 04:32 PM
Thank you, Paula- I'm pleased with the glow.

Preston- there ain't no way I'd subject you to the horrible stress of redecorating again- I feel badly enough as it is, you know. Truly guilty. Honest.

You get that new studio area all done up yet?

bnoonan
09-02-2004, 05:30 PM
I likka the yucca.... ittssaa greatta!! Good collloraah!

Excellent work and I do think you love those macros!

Barb :clap: