PDA

View Full Version : WIP: Stephanie Style Bracelet #2!

TurtleBay Jewelry
08-30-2004, 07:56 PM
Ok, so here's my second attempt. Not too bad all things considered. I can't wait to see if I can get into her class this next weekend! I have spiny knotted fever! LOL.

Anyhoo...this is all I have done so far. I'm taking my time, being careful and using lots of beads this time.

It's fun to do something a little different than my wirework for a change!

~Danielle

Beads-Me!
08-30-2004, 08:48 PM
Very fun Danielle! Where's she teaching?

Lori Peterson
08-30-2004, 08:57 PM
I think that looks GREAT!!!! I can't wait to see it when it is all finished and on your lovely arm! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

TurtleBay Jewelry
08-30-2004, 09:01 PM
Aww, thanks guys!!!

Nan, she's going to be at Kollectibles by Kathleen in Berkley...are you going to be there?? I can only dream to live up to the example you've set with her style pieces that you do so well! I've been drooling over them for ages. LOL.

Lori, thanks a bunch! I'm working away at it as I sit here...it's such fun! :D

~D.

dogmaw
08-30-2004, 09:06 PM
That is beautiful! I can't wait to see it finished.

Jo

Beads-Me!
08-30-2004, 09:19 PM
LORI!!!! Hey there girlfriend! Good to see you around here my darling!

Danielle - no kidding?! I didn't realize she was going to be there. If you go tell her I said hi!

TheBlueBetween
08-30-2004, 09:24 PM
It's beautiful already! I wish she was teaching around here sometime soon! Hope you get in :) :clap: :clap:

TheBlueBetween
08-30-2004, 10:12 PM
I have a question - does it matter which end you start with???? Thanks :)

TurtleBay Jewelry
08-30-2004, 10:37 PM
Pam~

I'm by no means an expert on these; I can't even be sure I'm doing it properly, but according to the old style instructions, you have to start with the loop, and I imagine from my experience with hemp jewelry that it makes a big difference.

~Danielle

Gingerbiscuit
08-31-2004, 08:15 AM
Danielle, this is absolutely gorgeous! I love it! (A great big lot!)

Can't wait to see it finished. :)

Cyndi L
08-31-2004, 08:21 AM
Danielle, that is going to be stop-in-your-tracks gorgeous! Please make sure to post a pix of the finished piece :)

debkauz
08-31-2004, 08:56 AM
IwantitIwantitIwantit! How gorgeous it's going to be--it is already! I can't wait to take her class at B&B next year.

Debbie :wave:

Andee
08-31-2004, 11:20 AM
Danielle - it's gorgeous already, can't wait to see it finished! :clap:

GardensOnGlass
08-31-2004, 03:37 PM
Yep, start with the loop, finish with the clasp. You have to do this so you can weave the loose ends through the finished bracelet. Danielle, you're only adding beads on the top and sides right, not on the back? Have I finished my bracelet from the class I took with her in early spring? NO! I'm gonig to have to call her and get a refresher on how to finish, it's been so long & I'm getting confused looking at the instructions. At the end of our class she said to call if we had questions & we could perhaps come to her studio for her to help us with a problem & get a tour. Evil, I know, evil :evil: !

TurtleBay Jewelry
08-31-2004, 04:43 PM
Lori, you big tease! Go to her studio for help, indeed!!! LOL.

Yes, I am only adding beads on the top and sides. I am using a flat macrame stitch, not the round spiral that she used in the tutorial in B&B. That seems to be working more to my advantage and it's more comfortable to wear. The instructions I have for finishing the piece aren't altogether clear, so I'm trying to figure out how to finish it neatly as well. Bleah!

~D.

beclectic
08-31-2004, 11:01 PM
Hi Danielle, What a georgeous bracelet. I've been wanting to make a spinny knotted bracelet. You are giving me hope that I can actually make some sense of the old instructions. Looking forward to seeing the rest of this beauty.

TurtleBay Jewelry
09-01-2004, 11:19 AM
Here's the finished piece!

As mentioned over in S&T for today, the only thing I'd do differently is use a single color of perle cotton, as I like clean lines. All in all though, I love it!

~Danielle

beclectic
09-01-2004, 01:26 PM
I love the way you used those MOP buttons with bali silver spacers and a bead. I thought they were decorated fancy buttons at first. Great look for the bracelet. I agree about the different colors of perle cotton at the button end, I think I would have liked one color better. All and all a stunning creation. Thanks for the WIP.

TurtleBay Jewelry
09-01-2004, 03:29 PM
Thanks everyone for the wonderful support. Barbara, it's hard for me to stay away from a silver element somewhere in my pieces. ;) I thought it was a nice way to jazz it up a bit.

Here's my next one; after this, I think I'll have the urge for these outta' my system enough to concentrate on my silver work again. LOL. This has some really funky and fun colors though:

Gingerbiscuit
09-01-2004, 05:00 PM
Fabulous Danielle. So is your new piece. :)

Andee
09-02-2004, 04:48 AM
Danielle - this is going to be another lovely, very nice! :) I'd love to try one out myself one day, but I wouldn't know how to do it...

Oskadis
09-02-2004, 05:04 AM
Yummyyummyyummyyummy :clap:

Beads-Me!
09-02-2004, 08:41 AM
Very fun Danielle! :clap:

debkauz
09-04-2004, 08:45 AM
Gorgeous work, Danielle! I can't wait to see the second one finished, too! I love the colors in that one especially!
Deb

debkauz
09-04-2004, 11:31 AM
Dumb question...how big do the holes in the beads have to be?

Deb

TurtleBay Jewelry
09-04-2004, 11:57 AM
Deb:

Thanks hon, I love the way this turned out as well...here's the finished piece. I posted it over in a S&T a day or so ago, but in case you missed it:

Also, regarding the bead hole size...flat beads work well along the base, and the holes only have to be big enough for one pass of the waxed linen...however, all the beads the make up the sides and the top, I used larger holes so I could make two passes and not have strings showing around the sides of beads everywhere. Hope that makes sense!

~D.

Mary Riggs
09-04-2004, 04:33 PM
Danielle, both bracelets are fabulous, but my favorite is the first one because of the color compatibility, the textures you achieved with the different finishes on the beads, as well as the shells and silver. GORGEOUS ! :clap:

Could you kindly steer me to a pattern for these "Stephanie Style" bracelets?
They are new to me but I just love the variations that can be made with them.

debkauz
09-04-2004, 04:59 PM
Danielle,
Those are some gorgeous bracelets! I really have to take her class at B&B. I have directions but thjat's not always the easiest way for me to learn to do things. THe 'beadbabe' group that I belong to is going to do projects this year. We each pick something and then we all try to figure it out all together. Maybe that way we will learn to do it in spite of ourselves! Maybe we could get YOU to teach the class as you do it so well! LOL!

Deb

AlisaGoldens
09-04-2004, 08:08 PM
I am so suddenly taken with these bracelets - I think the recent article in Bead and Button did it to me. Danielle, both of your bracelets are fabulous!!!! :clap:

BTW, hello everyone! This is my first post in Wearable Art...I followed a thread in the Glass forum with regard to these Stephanie Sersich-style bracelets. I am considering a class with her in the fall - just need to work out the schedule. I should probably do a separate post, but I'll start here first - does anyone know of a good source for the waxed linen? I inquired at my local Michael's and looked around a bit, but couldn't find it. Any thoughts?

Alisa

tamjai
09-04-2004, 11:27 PM
danielle - the bracelet is gorgeous..... :D a couple of months ago when we were discussing the lush garden bracelets i tried my hand at this technique - but i can't find these magnificent beads you all use! - here is my version with semi-precious stones and my bead for the toggle - i'm inspired to try again but with other projects on the go ...... oh you're all evil!!!!
tam

TheBlueBetween
09-05-2004, 01:31 AM
danielle - the bracelet is gorgeous..... :D a couple of months ago when we were discussing the lush garden bracelets i tried my hand at this technique - but i can't find these magnificent beads you all use! - here is my version with semi-precious stones and my bead for the toggle - i'm inspired to try again but with other projects on the go ...... oh you're all evil!!!!
tam

Tam, I like your bracelet just fine! what are you talking about???? yes give it another go, because the first one is great !

But I do have to agree, the finding of just the perfect beads to put it all together IS the challenge, isn't it? Certain beads work just fine for one technique and different beads for another.

GardensOnGlass
09-05-2004, 08:05 AM
Mary, Bead & Button has instructions for sale on their web site. An article was previously published about Stephanie Sersich's style of knotting a necklace/bracelet. It's a bit different than the way she teaches it now, but it's a good start. Someone help me with the month & year I can't remember off the top of my head, but October of 2002 maybe?

Alisa, you can purchase the Irish waxed linen from the Beadin' Path in Freeport, ME. They have a web site www.beadinpath.com. You can also do a google search for Irish waxed linen. I had found a site, I'll have to check my favorites to see if I still have it. They sold a spool for $8.50 I think. It's $11.50 at Beadin' Path. Beadin' Path does sell wholesale with a resale license, though. I think the linen is either 10 or 30% off, can't remember which.

Danielle, the bracelets are beautiful! I've got to finish mine this week.

Andee
09-05-2004, 08:12 AM
Tam - your bracelet is lovely! I like it! :clap:

debkauz
09-05-2004, 08:53 AM
Mary, Bead & Button has instructions for sale on their web site. An article was previously published about Stephanie Sersich's style of knotting a necklace/bracelet. It's a bit different than the way she teaches it now, but it's a good start. Someone help me with the month & year I can't remember off the top of my head, but October of 2002 maybe?

Alisa, you can purchase the Irish waxed linen from the Beadin' Path in Freeport, ME. They have a web site www.beadinpath.com. You can also do a google search for Irish waxed linen. I had found a site, I'll have to check my favorites to see if I still have it. They sold a spool for $8.50 I think. It's $11.50 at Beadin' Path. Beadin' Path does sell wholesale with a resale license, though. I think the linen is either 10 or 30% off, can't remember which.

Danielle, the bracelets are beautiful! I've got to finish mine this week.

It's the August 2000, I think. I bought their directions from B&B and when I downloaded it, there were no pictures included with it! I ended up getting my money back. If anyone PM's me, I have a few copies of the directions I will send out. I think I have 2 or 3 left at present time. I have also seen waxed linen in much smaller spools for a few bucks a spool. Where...who knows! LOL! The bigger spools are a TON of waxed linen so try to get smaller ones if you can, I think.

beclectic
09-05-2004, 09:55 AM
Here is a source for Waxed Irish Linen in anything from 2-ply to 12-ply. The link is to their wholesale page. 4-Ply is $7.25 for 100 yd. spool. They have lots of colors. To meet their wholesale requirements they have a minimum order of $50. They only ship UPS so you should be able to figure out the weight of what you are ordering and then find out what ground would cost from Mansfield, Ohio to you.

http://www.royalwoodltd.com/cat14-17aw.htm

My directions from Bead & Button did include pictures so I don't understand why your's didn't Deb.

tamjai
09-05-2004, 11:00 AM
I actually ordered those directions as well - then - smacks forehead!- found I did have that issue! So, if any wants my copy (only have the one) of the instructions(they are black and white) pm me and i'll send it!
tam

debkauz
09-05-2004, 11:36 AM
Here is a source for Waxed Irish Linen in anything from 2-ply to 12-ply. The link is to their wholesale page. 4-Ply is $7.25 for 100 yd. spool. They have lots of colors. To meet their wholesale requirements they have a minimum order of $50. They only ship UPS so you should be able to figure out the weight of what you are ordering and then find out what ground would cost from Mansfield, Ohio to you.

http://www.royalwoodltd.com/cat14-17aw.htm

My directions from Bead & Button did include pictures so I don't understand why your's didn't Deb.

I emailed them about it and got some song and dance about some of the instructions not having pictures...then they refunded my money. All I really wanted was pictures! Someone did send them to me in color so that was a big help. I just need to have some time to sit down and work on them. Next beadbabe meeting we are going to do a freeform peyote bracelet and then maybe that one next.

Deb :wave:

Mary Riggs
09-05-2004, 04:35 PM
Thanks so much, Lori & Deb, for the info. on how to get the directions and in what issue of B&B. That's a great help and I will check into it. You are both so sweet to help me :D

debkauz
09-05-2004, 06:13 PM
Thanks so much, Lori & Deb, for the info. on how to get the directions and in what issue of B&B. That's a great help and I will check into it. You are both so sweet to help me :D

Mary, just send me your snail mail addy and I will send you a set of directions on tuesday. If you don't already have the issue, B&B is out of it--at least the last time I checked.

Deb

Mary Riggs
09-05-2004, 06:55 PM
Oh Deb, what a sweetheart! I'll do that ASAP.

Wheeeee..........a new project to learn. You are a doll. Thanks so much. :wave:

debkauz
09-05-2004, 07:58 PM
Oh Deb, what a sweetheart! I'll do that ASAP.

Wheeeee..........a new project to learn. You are a doll. Thanks so much. :wave:

No problem, Mary! I'll let you do it and then I'll bug you for help with it when I try! LOL!

I have one more set of instructions handy if anyone else needs them. I will send them anywhere, so don't worry about asking if you are not in US.

Deb :wave:

AlisaGoldens
09-05-2004, 08:24 PM
Lori and Barbara,

Thanks for the sources on waxed linen - I also found some on eBay so between the three I should be all set. I bought the old Stephanie instructions from B&B and may try them but I know I'll do much better off taking the class. I hear there is one at the Beadin' Path in October - I'm trying to shoot for that one!

Thanks again,

Alisa

Beads-Me!
09-06-2004, 09:09 PM
Wow have you guys been bust while I was gone!! Looks like everything is under control though... Welcome to WA Alisa! Anyone who has the chance to take Stephanie's class should. She's a sweetheart and the bracelets are so darn fun to make and wear!!