PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble - 8/30 - 9/6

Kathryn Wilson
08-30-2004, 09:43 AM
Good Monday Morning Everybody! Exciting news coming in from all fronts. Join in on the action and tell us about happenings, news, thoughts, family, pets - whatever you want to talk about.

-------------

Looks like the news and photos are trickeling in from Santa Fe - check out the Santa Fe Report if you haven't, lots of great photos of people you know from WC.

I know Sandy has lots to tell us about her daughter's wedding.

We are getting the remnants of Hurricane Gaston this morning - heavy rain and wind, so going to make this short before we lose power.

See ya on the forums!

meowmeow
08-30-2004, 10:18 AM
You keep safe and dry, Kat! Hurricane remnants don't sound like fun, although better than the real deal I suppose.

The wedding weekend was wonderful. Everything we dreamed it would be. The weather yesterday held for us, with us holding our breath. It was overcast, which turned out to be a good thing because it was breezy and never got to hot so we were able to have the ceremony outside on the lawn by the water. It was gorgeous. I only cried a little bit...even hubby started to fall apart on us! :D. My mother was there for the ceremony. WE had her sitting up on the inn porch so she had a terrific view of things but didn't have to hassle any stairs. She stayed a while afterwards and then said since she still felt good it was time to go...before she felt lousy. Good call.
Everyone showed up and seemed to have a good time. The food was terrific. The kids looked beautiful and seemed incredibly happy. My grandson did a little reading from Dr. Seuss at the ceremony and did a super job.
I did bring my digital camera but of course never took a single photo. :D I was just too busy. Hopefully I'll have some photos soon. RIght now I am still a little high and beginning to get a case of let-down...not helped by the fact that we will be heading back home in a little over a week and I don't want to leave Maine. But all in all I cannot complain at all. This has been an interesting and productive summer.

I hope everyone has a good week. I will try to check in on everyone's painting projects and give my learned opinion! :D

s.

Kathryn Wilson
08-30-2004, 10:27 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Soooo glad that the wedding went well and that your mom was able to attend. :D The let-down is normal - just do something for yourself and relax for a day or two. Curl up with a book or watch movies - some down time for you!

Boo hoo on leaving Maine - I know you love it there.

Khadres
08-30-2004, 12:02 PM
Sandy, I was wondering how your big weekend went! So glad it all went beautifully and that your Mom made it to the ceremony after all! Now, kick back and try to enjoy your time in Maine! You've done good, girl...time to do whatever YOU wish for a few...!

Kat, I hope that storm doesn't wreak too much havoc back there! It's been amazing this year, the way storms have gone through with SO much wind and rain! I'll keep my fingers crossed for y'all.

Well, I'm finally pretty much rested up from my big journey (big for me, anyway!) Today we get to TRY and make various appointments for Gary with endocrinologists, cardiologists, and every other type "ologist" one can think of. It's ridiculous when they tell you they DEFINITELY want you to see so and so within a week and then so and so's office says, well...can't fit you in for FOUR weeks! But at least his heart rate is staying down pretty well with the medication and he's gradually beginning to complain about little stuff like the pain at the IV site and stuff, so I think he'll survive, although I can sure tell he's lost more weight in just the few days! Guess that's the overactive thyroid again.

I managed to haul all my gear back down to the studio area yesterday...if I'd known I wouldn't get to actually paint on the trip, we sure could've saved some space in the car by not taking all that stuff! I did open up my new pastel acquisitions to gloat a little last night...the Ludwigs are so yummy looking, I'll almost hate to use 'em! Was so funny when I picked those out...the lady who was helping at the booth handed me a box with 32 slots and said, "Don't worry, you don't have to fill it!" So....ten minutes later I HAD filled it. And then I spied the whole green range and asked for another box! Then Terry came over to see what I'd picked and kept up a running commentary...."Uh-oh! She's spotted the BLUES now!" So another box later I finally tore myself away to go in search of a lightweight easel. Believe me, places like that play the very devil with supply junkies like me! But they are beautiful colors as are the handful of Schmincke's and the Jacaranda Blues from Art Spectrum than I bought to replenish those I've nearly used up.

NOW, I just need to get stuff put away and cleaned up and I plan to PAINT! Gary will be home for at least this week on short term disability, so keeping an eye on him will be the big issue.

He's FINALLY going to apply for a handicapped parking placard...so when he does go back to work, he won't have to hike half a mile (literally) just to get TO the security portals on the base. I think it's time we put this getting old and decrepit stuff to USE!

Anyway, I hope everyone has a great week, creates great art, and continues in good health!

Deborah Secor
08-30-2004, 12:37 PM
Sandy, I can't wait to see the photos. So glad it went off smoothly and your mom was able to be there. I know it must have meant a lot to all of you! Blessings on the new couple!!

Kat, rain? Blow hard this way, okay? We've had lovely storms all around us... tantalizingly close. I took photos on my way back from SF yesterday of the lovely clouds, but we could use some real rain!

So you fell victim to the Ludwig table too, Sooz? MMMMMM, too lovely, great prices--and Terry is a real pusher. He knows we have a need. :rolleyes: Tell your hubby to work all the angles. Take good care of him!

I'm off to care for my mom today and then go to a training class at church tonight.

Paint on...

Deborah

K Taylor-Green
08-30-2004, 12:54 PM
Sandy, Sounds like it was a beautiful wedding. And sounds like some down time is in order. I can't wait to see pictures. I want to see her gown. I just love wedding gowns.

Kat, We have been having rain and overcast skies here. Nothing drastic, but we did loose another tree limb to the wind Sat. night. Course those Bradford Pear trees that line our lane become so delicate after they are about 15 or so, it doesn't take much to blow off limbs!

Sooz, Happy painting. I can just see you taking out each new stick, making a mark on paper, then sighing a big happy sigh, cause that's what I would do!! :D Hope Gary gets a definite diagnosis soon. I'm sure the anxiety doesn't help the situation.

We spent a very quiet weekend for a change. I hope to get my new painting to the detail stage today. Hope everyone has a happy week!

meowmeow
08-30-2004, 12:56 PM
I can't wait for pictures either! :D I am hopng some of the many people who took digital pictures sends me some. It will be a few weeks before we have the profressional ones.

THat is so frustrating, Sooz, about the doctors. Unfortunately I think it is the name of the game these days...you need to be seen right away but it never happens. But I also agree that if he is grumbling about little stuff he must be feeling okay. Of course, I know you are worried. Keep us posted..I hope it all gets sorted out and he is on the mend soon. And yes, take advantage of some of the old decrepit stuff that you are due!

meowmeow
08-30-2004, 03:54 PM
Got a couple of photos from our son. Yay! Sort of obvious but they are hubby walking her down the steps to the lawn and down the "aisle" and then hubby and daughter dancing...it was a Jimmy Buffett tune they both liked! :D

bnoonan
08-30-2004, 04:06 PM
Beautiful photographs Sandy - Congratulations!!! Now if you can, just relax a bit and enjoy the rest of your time in Maine.

She's beautiful by the way!!! Barb

pjo
08-31-2004, 09:28 AM
Hi all, I've been quite absent from WC lately, but am planning on participating a bit more than I've been able to.

Kat-I hope your power stays on and you "weather" the storm in good shape.

Sandy-The wedding photos of your husband and daughter look great. It looks like it was a beautiful day for an outdoor wedding. Weddings are wonderful events, but emotional and they do take a bit of a toll, so take it easy for a few days if you can. Blessings on the new couple too.

Sooz-I was very glad to meet you in Santa Fe, I wish we had more time for a chat. I hope you get very good service for you upcoming Dr. appts for your husband, that seems quite a bit rarer these days. I have been absent lately so I'm ignorant of his condition, but will look backward and pray for him and for Doctors wisdom, if that o.k. with you. I got some Ludwigs too, and have'nt yet taken them out of the box or the set of Giraults (small 25 piece landscape set) either. I hope between appointments you can reset up your studio space and paint.

Deborah-You sound as busy as ever! You were such great company on Friday, I'm so glad we could carpool, and I hope Sunday working in the booth at Girault went o.k. for you.

Kate-A very quiet weekend? Hold on to those when you get them, they seem mighty rare around here.

I anticipated a nice, quiet weekend, but.... after a paint out with Artistammy on Sat, by husband hurt his knee again. He had injured his "good" knee while playing baseball with my grandson about 6 wks ago (he's had 6 surgeries on his bad knee) and was scheduled for a MRI in about 2 wks, but while working in the garage he heard a pop, then his knee collapsed, and down he went. He was in such excruciating pain that I couldn't touch his leg, nor could I lift him or move him (cause I've had back surgery), so we called my son and brother-in-law to come over to try and help. But because it was so painful, we ended up calling the paramedics, who were able to give him some morphine before they moved him. We got home well after midnight, after being stopped on the way home by the local police for a burnt out headlight. Thank God I only got a warning. Anyway, we are pretty sure he is facing knee surgery, and I'm praying it is not his ACL, but maybe another lessor ligament. MRI was moved up to today, so we should find out in a few days. I told my hubby that "he doesn't have a leg to stand on", but he didn't think it was very funny. Other than that, there is not much new.... Oh I just saw a coyote cross the back yard, I'm glad my cats are in. I better check on the chickens and turkeys.

Have a great day everyone!

Kathryn Wilson
08-31-2004, 11:13 AM
Got a couple of photos from our son. Yay! Sort of obvious but they are hubby walking her down the steps to the lawn and down the "aisle" and then hubby and daughter dancing...it was a Jimmy Buffett tune they both liked! :D

Sandy, what a beautiful bride! What a special moment with father and daughter. :D

Deborah Secor
08-31-2004, 11:23 AM
Good grief, PJ! What next? I'm praying for your hubby and you, for serenity and wisdom for all involved... and if you need anything you know I'm here! I hope the chickens and turkeys are okay! We'll all be glad to have you back and more involved here, too!! :wave:

Sandy, your daughter is just glowing. What a delightful picture! Take a day off...put your feet up...enjoy the day. :) Where are they honeymooning???

My plumbing is backed up. I only need to wash every dish in my house as well as every single bit of clothing we have--that's all....and it all requires plumbing. So, I guess I'm forced to spend time here--ya think? :cool:

Actually, I need to write an interview before it goes cold in my mind. And maybe paint a little. I need to get those new pastels under my fingernails!

Deborah

Khadres
08-31-2004, 12:15 PM
Lovely photos, Sandy! Did you have the wedding at your HOUSE??? I can't imagine the uproar getting ready for THAT must've been. We had my older daughter's reception here at home and NEVER again. I about killed myself cleaning and spit shining everything in the place while out of town company went behind messing things up...I don't think I've ever been as tired as I was once all that was done! I'm so glad your daughter's day went so beautifully!

Pjo, I enjoyed meeting you, too...like you say, we'll have to try and VISIT more next time! I'm sitting here cringing at the thought of your husband's poor knee! I tore a bunch of ligaments in my right one about 3 years ago when I fell down the stairs and broke the left one. Believe me! The broken one was a LOT less painful for a lot shorter time! I do hope they can do something for him quickly!

Deborah, you LUCKY thing, you! Backed up plumbing! This is one of those VERY special times when one has the opportunity to ponder and appreciate the marvel of modern plumbing and just what a horrifying thing being WITHOUT it can be! And let me guess....everyone in the house is already wearing the LAST of their cleanish clothes and has suddenly developed a desperate need for bathroom usage above and beyond anything near normal. Yep, this is when one has the odd thought that marrying that Roto Rooter man who asked for a date eons ago might not have been such a bad idea after all! Ah, well....this, too, shall pass and I hope it does very SOON for you!

My hubby seems to be getting steadily better...heart rate's staying down and swollen feet seem to be his biggest complaint right now (men have no knowledge of swollen ankles, usually, thinking it's something we women whine about unneccessarily...he's finding out what it's really like now, but of course, HIS swollen ankles are so much WORSE than any I've ever had...pfffttt!). He goes to his primary doc this afternoon and got his appointments with the others for next week. His appetite seems on the mend, as well....so I'll be cookin' today for sure...grumble, grumble. It's good to see him coming back to normal, tho, and thanks for ALL your prayers and well wishes for him! He's a pretty good egg, all in all, and I still much prefer him over the Roto Rooter man! (of course, our plumbing's just FINE right now, so I may change my mind at some point!)

Anyway, I've ALMOST got everything unpacked and put away. Spent a lovely couple hours yesterday drooling on my new Ludwigs and Schminckes and Art Specs. Who knows? I might even get to USE 'em some today!

Hope you all have a great day, too!

meowmeow
08-31-2004, 12:39 PM
I'm so glad hubby is getting better, Sooz.

We had a catered BBQ at the house the night before the wedding for the out of town people but the wedding was at a wonderful inn on York Harbor...hence the lovely old building with the stairs. I have the say even the BBQ turned out to be more work than I anticipated so I am glad I didn't try to do the wedding at the house.
I wasn't going to say anything about this because it has been so cuckoo but I just talked to my daughter and basically the honeymoon as been postponed till January. They are going to try to go away to the WHite Mountians for the weekend just to relax.
She has been sick as a dog off and on since Friday night! It got so bad that her new hubby had to take her to the emergeny room yesterday afternoon. They ran all sorts of tests (no, she isn't pregnant) and everything came back essentially fine. She has been seriously vomiting. Can't keep a thing down. The only good day she had was Sunday (fortunately)...we have been really concerned but we are not getting word filtering back from people who were here saying they now have an intestinal bug...even the baby who came. So apparently she got it Friday and Saturday, it might have been gone but with all the stress and exhaustion it returned in style.
So hopefully this will all pass and she will remember the wonderful wedding and not the barfiness surrounding it.
Never a dull moment.
And it is Jamaica, mon! :D So now it will be in January, which will cost them more but it makes no sense to go and not me able to eat. :D

Khadres
08-31-2004, 12:45 PM
Awwww, so sorry to hear the bride is ill! Reminds me of Monica....she went down the aisle with a raging bladder infection all but doubling her over and the honeymoon was postponed for them until they got back to England! They've been married now for 16 years, tho, so I guess the messed up honeymoon didn't do them any real harm, but it is sad to have such a special occassion marred with illness!

Kathryn Wilson
08-31-2004, 01:01 PM
I hope they did a test for appendisitis - it's sound just like what I had - vomiting and no known cause for it.

Not sure where Jamaica is - but with a huge hurricane wandering out there, I wouldn't be on an island in the Atlantic.

:crying:

K Taylor-Green
08-31-2004, 10:33 PM
Sandy, She looked truely beautiful, despite being ill. I love her gown, simple, but elegant and femenine. The tropics in January! That would be great.

pjo, Keep us posted on hubby's knee. Hope that doesn't require surgery.

Artistammy
09-01-2004, 06:42 PM
PJ, I'm sorry about your husband's knee. "I told my hubby that "he doesn't have a leg to stand on", but he didn't think it was very funny. " Just too Funny!! :evil: "I better check on the chickens and turkeys." How many animals do you have?
Sooz, You are a great entertainer! I love to read your posts. You could write for money.
Sandy,
I'm glad the wedding went well & hope your daughter feels great soon.
Deborah, Enjoy & have some fun cause the work won't go away! lol It always waits for us.
I'm still doing laundry from our 2 week trip. We have to bring all the towels & sheets home from the cabin in addition to our clothes. I found another sack today in the bedroom...& I thought I only had one more load to do. :rolleyes:
I posted a new painting I started at the Expo with PJ. I don't think I've got to use any of my new pastels on it - wrong colors, wouldn't ya know! I think it's looking much better than I expected. I'm still a little afraid of landscapes.

pjo
09-02-2004, 12:39 AM
Deborah-its amazing how dependent we are on things like plumbing. I'm sorry yours is down, remember I'm just a hop and a skip away, your welcome to wash clothes here. BTW- I'm still planning on doing the "homework" in the ESP thread, it just seems like everytime I plan to start something happens, hopefully soon tho.

Sooz-so glad to hear your husband is improving, it sounds as though you have a lot of running around to do in the next week or so. I hope you do find time to use your new pastels.

Sandy-I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter, is she still sick?

Tammy-I'll have to head over and look at your painting. We don't have alot of animals now, just our two cats Rocky, and Shredder, our dog Tootsie, and a few chickens and turkeys. We have raised our own beef the last 2 or 3 years, but don't have a calf right now.

Also, the coyotes did not get into the chicken coop, so they are all well. My husband on the otherhand will be having knee surgery on Friday. He tore his ACL completely, and has a "bucket handle" meniscus tear which is keeping his knee in a locked position. He is in quite a lot of pain so we are actually looking forward to this surgery. Poor man he's had his other knee worked on about 6 times. This time there is a bit of recovery, about 4 months or so, before he can return to carpentry. Yikes! Oh, well I trust all will work out, and know that I am not alone, between the Lord, family, friends and you all, there is a lot of support.

Khadres
09-02-2004, 02:33 AM
Wow, Paula, I can't imagine the pain your hubby must be in with that torn up knee! I wonder why some folks have problems like that with one area or another? Some folks, it's ankles, others knees or shoulders or whatever. Hopefully, they'll fix this injury up right away and have him back on his feet soon, poor guy.

BTW, we had a Rocky cat, too! Still miss him!

Sandy, I hope your daughter's feeling lots better by now and that you're all rested up. I saw your flower ptg over in studio and it looks like you've got your hands busy again already...I admire how much work you manage to get done considering how much else is going on in your life!

Gary finally bit the bullet and got himself a handicapped parking thingy today...I know he thinks that means he's on the downhill path to old age, but he'll gradually realize that just because we can't do everything we used to doesn't mean the end of the world, I hope. That half mile hike into the portals at work every day is just that much extra in the long work days he has to put in and this will cut that down a little, at least. Of course, he's to stay out of work til the end of the month at least, so I may need a padded cell by then! LOL

I don't know about the rest of the country, but I already see little changes here in the trees and hillsides that says autumn isn't far off. I hate to see the summer go in a lot of ways; we've had good weather here this year and I'm not much for bare trees and brown lawns! With luck, tho, I'm hoping to get some decent pics of the fall colors this year.

Anyway, I hope everybody who's under the weather feels better soon!

meowmeow
09-02-2004, 09:25 AM
Paula, I hope hubby's knee is being taken care of quickly and he feels better soon.
Glad to hear baout the handicapped parking Sooz. Not glad he needs it but I know it will help a lot to be able to park closer and not have to walk so much.
Daughter is on the mend. I think now they are just as glad to not be heading to the Caribbean this week! And they will be very glad in January to have the trip to look forward to.
Now I am just waiting for more pictures!!!!!
And yes, I am actually seeing bits of reddish in some of the trees. Always sort of mixed feelings about that...I'm sure I'm not alone. But it will be gorgeous and lots of good paintings there.

TSPoon
09-02-2004, 08:37 PM
Hello Everyone,
I've been eavesdropping for the last week or two, enjoying all of your wonderful posts and pictures. I've been looking for a place to find new friends with common interests and to share my love of pastels with, and you guys are just great! As you can see I live in the great Pacific Northwest, just south of Seattle. I work full-time and try to get as much "art-time" in as possible, sometimes that can be very difficult. Seems I always put myself last on the list, and I know I shouldn't do that.
Anyway, I'm all excited today - I left work a few hours early to come home to pack for our trip to Indianapolis. My husband is a furnituremaker (furnituremaker.com) and he's teaching a class at a school outside of Indianapolis this next week and we are flying off tomorrow morning. I will be on vacation while he works! I'm bringing my pastels and papers and even my watercolors. My plan is to paint and walk and sleep and read for a whole week in peaceful unencumbered bliss!
No alarm clocks, no clocks at all. No car, no need to cook or clean....no plans at all! The worse thing will be lugging my stuff out to paint plein aire!
Oh, to have such worries everyday!
I don't know if I'll be able to get internet access while I'm gone, so I will miss you all, but if I do, I'll try to post some WIPs.
Talk to you later!
Terry :D

Kathryn Wilson
09-02-2004, 08:51 PM
Hi Terry - Welcome to the Weekly Scumble - so glad to meet you and to hear about your exciting trip! One week to paint, sleep and have fun - enjoy!

And who is that cute little JRT?

meowmeow
09-02-2004, 08:56 PM
Welcome to our Scumble Terry. Your week sounds like great fun. We'll expect to see some of your "work!"

Finally getting some more pix although not the good stuff yet. But I thought you'd get a kick out of the wedding cake. It was wonderfully fun...and tasted good too!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2004/15050-wedding16.jpg

Kathryn Wilson
09-03-2004, 09:19 AM
Wow, Sandy, that's some wedding cake - what flavor inside??? It's the most imaginative cake I've ever seen. My son and his wife chose to do cupcakes and each one was decorated with a very special flower, they were then put into tiers to make it look like a huge wedding cake.

Hi Sooz - it was so nice to see photos of you in the Santa Fe bunch - looked like you were having fun! It will be a slow road for Gary to get his health confidence back - I felt the same way when I was ill last year around this time. I felt that my body had betrayed me and every little ache and pain meant another disaster was brewing. Baby steps - one step at a time - and he will feel like a new man.

PJ - how is hubby doing? Bad knees can certainly be a huge problem in leading a normal life - no mobility leads to weight gain. With my bad knee last year, I was taking ibupropen that led to my stomach problems. So take it easy there and let us know what's happening!

bnoonan
09-03-2004, 12:24 PM
That my friends is the most gorgeous wedding cake I've ever seen!!! Lovely choice and i'm sure they will get lots more business after producing something this unusual and beautiful. Hope it tasted as good as it looks.

Sooz - one month is a long time - pace yourself.

Paula - easy does it for the two of you.

Hi Terry!!! I lived in Seattle for 18 years and know what a lovely spot you are residing in. Go to the Frye art museum for me. Oh and you'll have friends up that way - welcome, happy painting and enjoy your vacation.

All of the comments this week remind me what I've known all along - live life to the fullest every day!!! A friend of mine from class just learned he has bone marrow leukemia and I'll be savoring everything a bit more richly for him now.

Be well, Kat - batten down the hatches in preparation for Frances and have a good day all.

Barb

meowmeow
09-03-2004, 12:47 PM
Thout you would like that cake! This is his website:
http://www.confectionart.com/photo_gallery_page/photo_gallery_page.htm

He was apparently an artist who decided to try his hand at cake making. They are the most original cakes I have ever seen...and yes, it was outstanding. It had chocolate and white laters and the frostings were made with local things like Maine blueberry.

bnoonan
09-03-2004, 12:58 PM
Wow!!! Each one is a creative work of art alright. Thanks for sharing the link. I'll have to tell my sister in Maine about it.

B

Dark_Shades
09-03-2004, 05:36 PM
Hi All, just skimming through...... flying around by the seat of my pants lolol .... learning how to breathe ........ hello Terry, welcome, you'll love this place.....

Sandy your daughter looked beautiful ..... and what a gorgeous setting for a wedding.... and that Cake!!! OMG!!!.... Ive never seen anything like it before..... Amazing!!!

prestonsega
09-03-2004, 06:09 PM
My apologies to everyone for dropping the ball on the weekly sketch thread this week....I wrote the intro to it Sunday night after midnight , proof read, made corrections, and I guess I forgot to submit... As my new computer was at the repairmans's house, I decided to take an internet break. It wasn't for a few days that I realized I didn't successfully post :( .

The group show ended last night with a Meet the Artists night, instead of a show opening. This was a first for this community so there was lots learned. And get this, there was a sort of unofficial boycott by the Cultural Arts Commission, including the mayor, because it was not put on through them! How's that for small town politics?? I sat on the board for a total of 2 meetings and decided I wanted no part of their clickish crap. They want to bring in out of town people rather than cultivating what we have....so far this year, the "culture" they brought to town was a "Hee Haw" performance and a Lewis Grizzard impersonator....i am not joking! Anyway we, the artists are carrying forward with attempts at starting an artist organization. We have our first organizational meeting Monday Sept. 13. If anyone has suggestions on how to proceed with this, please email or pm me.

PS..The town pharmacist wanted to buy my PBJ painting. As this was an exhibition not selling show, I hadn't put any thought into pricing, so I put him off for a while....perhaps it will make him want it more......($$$$ :evil: )

Khadres
09-03-2004, 11:11 PM
Good heavens, Preston! I think I've LIVED in your town before! Sounds just like something the Fine Arts Council of Canon City would pull! LOL Good for you guys...form your own group and make a point of NOT closing out anyone who wants to belong and then promote yourselves. Leave the Cultural Council in the dust with their HeeHaw brigade! SELL the man the PBJ ptg! Think of the pastels you can add to your collection with the proceeds! :cool:

Well, I don't know if any of the rest of ya have heard from Mikki lately, but I've had a couple messages...she might even make it up this way before they head back west! But you would not BELIEVE the bad luck they've had!!! Poor people won't forget this trip soon, that's for sure! She wrote last from a car dealership somewhere in smalltown, NM where they were having to buy a new TRUCK! Bless their hearts, let's all send 'em LUCKY vibes for awhile, okay???

It would be so cool if they get to visit up here! I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Kathryn Wilson
09-04-2004, 12:03 AM
Hey, Preston, I've lived in several small towns and know what you are going through. I'm glad the artists are pulling together to make things happen. By all means, do not believe that the pettiness of humans is relegated to small towns - big towns and cities have their clicks too.

Yes, sell that wonderful painting! If it can't be mine, sell it to someone for big bucks - :D

-------------

Sooz, I was hoping someone had heard from Mikki - what a horrendous trip. First their beloved dog, now the truck. Hope they get up to see you - it might be the best thing for her to see another WC member.

Keep us posted!

Mikki Petersen
09-04-2004, 03:45 AM
Hi everyone! I finally found some time to get online amidst the trials and trbulations of Johna and Mikki in their travels. I posted my Santa Fe pics and a description of our adventures in the "Santa Fe Live" thread. Now I'm going to read up on what's been happening with all of you.

Mikki Petersen
09-04-2004, 04:11 AM
Sandy, congratulations on the successful wedding! The pictures of your daughter and her Daddy are quite charming.

Kat, you be careful with another hurricane charging in. I've been watching the news and it sounds horrific.

Paula, your poor husband is really getting worked over, poor guy. Knee injuries are so very painful and difficult to heal...

Preston, I don't know what exactly happened since I've been away but I think starting your own group is a wonderful idea.

Sooz, so glad to hear that Gary is improving. Appetite is always a good sign even if it means you are back in the kitchen. John and I are seriously going to try to make it up your way.

As for me...I'm dog tired and readey for bed but I've been missing everyone and hade to catch up a bit. We have a new truck now and have decided to take a day's rest tomorrow before continuing the perils of John and Mikki. I hope tomorrow I'll get to look at some of the art that's been happening while I've been off the threads.

Happy painting! :wave:

prestonsega
09-04-2004, 04:15 AM
Welcome home Mikki! You were missed very much!

Mikki Petersen
09-04-2004, 04:50 AM
Welcome home Mikki! You were missed very much!

Thanks Preston. I always miss my cyberfamily when I can't get online.

bnoonan
09-04-2004, 12:41 PM
Mikki - safe travels and it's good to see your smiling face again.

Preston - congratulations on the sale of PBJ and do get him/her a price fast. Don't risk losing the sale. Sorry to hear about small town madness. Just to let you know however... it happens in big cities too.

Barb

Kathryn Wilson
09-04-2004, 12:51 PM
Welcome back Mikki! We've missed you!

Hurricane is now coming into Florida, heading right for my mom's place in North Fort Myers. sheesh, she missed the last one by a hair - :crying:

Deborah Secor
09-04-2004, 01:22 PM
She wrote last from a car dealership somewhere in smalltown, NM where they were having to buy a new TRUCK!

Hey--Smalltown isn't what you're thinking!! That was the CITY of Moriarty, which is much larger than my neck of the woods, and right nearby here, too! Now, try and get your car repaired in Sandia Park, NM. We have one oil change place... but the grocery store just relocated to a 'larger' town.

Gang, I'm reading, smiling, lauging and praying with you all. I'll be able to comment more in a couple of days but meanwhile will keep track.

Paint on!
Deborah

Khadres
09-04-2004, 02:28 PM
Kat, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your Mom's safety! I take it she didn't evacuate? That is pretty difficult for the elderly to do easily and I can understand folks wanting to remain in their homes...I'd probably try to ride it out too. I'll be hoping she comes through it without mishap!

Mikki, I'm really looking forward to you and John making it up here for awhile before you head elsewhere! Tell John that I wanna see the new truck! :envy: There's a treasure trove of stuff to photograph and paint here. Hey, maybe we could do a paint out together after all! I can call around about RV parks if you need me to....there should be NO problem finding space now, after the Labor Day weekend's over. Let me know!

Preston, have you settled on a price for the PBJ ptg? That's definitely a favorite of mine! Keep us posted on your new art group!

Sandy, is this the weekend you have to move back from Maine? I know you wish you could stay, but boy, you sure did manage to accomplish a LOT this summer!

pjo
09-04-2004, 05:54 PM
Kat-My daughter and grandson live in Ft. Myers also. They made it through Charlie ok, with just a power outage, and are going to stay at a friends this weekend for Francis, it looks (fingers crosssed) like its just gonna miss them? Maybe just lots of rain. I'll be thinking of your Mom too.

Sooz- glad to hear your husband got his handicapped parking permit. And hope you enjoy your month together, and that he continues in his healing.

Sandy-love the cake!!! And so glad your daughter is feeling better.

Preston-I agree with Barb, price it and sell it. Hooray for you.

Thanks for all your prayers and thoughts for my husband. He had surgery on Friday, and all went well. They were able to repair the meniscus, (which had folded over between the bones in his knee) and replaced his ACL, the PCL had a small tear which didn't need replacing and the inside ligament was just swollen not torn after all. He actually felt in much less pain immediatly after the surgery than before. They started therapy in the recovery room, can you believe that. So, hopefully, he will LISTEN to the doc and do what he needs to so he heals up fine.

bogbeast
09-04-2004, 06:13 PM
Gracious, so much happening, and me with no time to comment! :wave: Glad the wedding went so well, Sandy, was thinking of you as well as the Santa Fe crew--envy, envy!

We learned late last week that our home study (interview one of at least 2, I guess) will be on Wednesday, Sept 15--barely 3 weeks from then--and just before our only and long-awaited trip out of town for the summer! Then, to add a little more time pressure, I got my first "commission"/sale of the portable communion kits I developed, due of course on Sept. 16! So, must scour the apartment, tack down multiple computer and extension cords (1920's wiring with no 3-prong outlets!), babyproof, put up crib, move out excess boxes, move furniture....and shop for the ceramics and fabric for the kit and do the picky hand sewing of the padded case...and be ready in, now, ohmigosh, 10 days!!!! eeeekkks!

and try to relax in Tahoe for 4 days, before it all... Well, did that, had one of the most relaxing vacations in years, watched my wild pup enjoy true freedom of movement at a little in-town fenced resort where the dogs run loose. It was pure pleasure watching her--I guess she really belongs on a ranch, she's quite depressed being cooped up at home now. but she'd be even more unhappy away from us and Charlie Brown, the older dog.

Now, I must leave you all for another few days and get ot work--take care, it was LOVELY to see the Santa Fe pics, hope injuries and health improves for all and sundry. Mikki, thought of you going through Placerville but knew you weren't there--so sorry about your dog!!!!

I would welcome your thoughts and prayers over the next week or so--the idea of starting over parenting is both exciting and frightening to me: I know we'll be great parents, but I'm afraid I'll never have my own time again, and that my attempts at art will be what suffers! and there is an incredible amount to do before the 15 th. And I have to admit, knowing that not one person in either of our families would be the least bit supportive makes it just a little tougher--we haven't even bothered to tell them, and won't unless/untill a child arrives.... oh well, it's for the kids, not family that chooses to keep themselves apart from us.

the hammer and cleaning rags are calling! :cat: :D :p

Khadres
09-05-2004, 12:26 AM
Good luck on all your projects, boggie! Just think how dull life will seem once all the dust settles! I'm sure y'all will come through all this with flying colors, but I'm sending extra good vibes along too, hoping to make it a little easier!

Mikki Petersen
09-05-2004, 12:30 AM
Hey--Smalltown isn't what you're thinking!! That was the CITY of Moriarty, which is much larger than my neck of the woods, and right nearby here, too! Now, try and get your car repaired in Sandia Park, NM. We have one oil change place... but the grocery store just relocated to a 'larger' town.

Hee hee! Ladies and gentlemen, the entire STATE of New Mexico has one area code! We in California have about 7 area codes between Placerville and the Bay Bridge along the I-80m corridor. Los Angeles County has, I think four area codes in the one county! The CITY of Moriarty maybe had a population of 500 not including all the truckers passing through! At the same time, we have never had better, more courteous service anywhere ever than we had there at Tillary Chevrolet. There is a lot to be said for small town hospitality. One of the Tillary brothers personally took care of us because of all the bad luck we've been having on this trip.

New Mexico is one of the best kept secrets in the United States. We expected dry arid desert...lots of brown and lots of dust and tumbleweeds. To our surprise, New Mexico is green! with gorgeous red rock formations popping up everywhere and the sky...well, the sky is beyond description. I've taken over 200 photos of the sky alone. Each day the New Mexico sky is a new marvel. This is New Mexico on August 31, 2004 at Cochiti Pueblo.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Sep-2004/14550-100_0026_2.JPG

Actually, I'm applying for a job with the Chamber of Commerce...how'm I doing? :evil:

Khadres
09-05-2004, 12:36 AM
Looks good to me! But don't forget, part of the greenery this year in both NM and CO is due to the rains that FINALLY came! This time last year, things looked a tad different, to say the least! New Mexico has a lot of pretty areas and then some that are pretty barren (I'm thinking of the Alamogordo area there), but the western sky of the Rockies just cannot be beat.

Glad y'all are having fun now!

Mikki Petersen
09-05-2004, 01:05 AM
Libby, so sorry to have missed you! Next time you come through, let me know and we can meet for lunch or coffee or something. We'd come in to town to spare you our wild ride through the forest. As for the parenting...better you than me but I admire you for the generosity of spirit in wanting to provide for another child. I have a grandkid around for a couple of hours and I need a nap! As for the painting time...I took in sewing until my girls were in Junior High. I was able to juggle full time sewing with parenting so you'll be able to find time to pursue your art even if it's after bedtime or during naptimes. God bless you!

Sooz, notice I didn't post a photo from Vaughn out on the plains :wink2: ... but the skies were amazing even there and the grasses were green, not brown.

meowmeow
09-05-2004, 08:39 AM
Preston, sounds like you could write a little story there to go with your paintings! Whew! But I know what you mean. We have similar junk around here too. ANd yes, sell your painting! GOod for you!

Libby that all sounds so exciting and scary. I'm sure once your get your little one things will fall into place. Yes, your priorities will be different but hopefully they will feel right. I'm sure there will be days you will wonder what the heck you got yourself into but all in all it should be worth it. And I bet you will find a way to squeeze your art in. I remember having a sketch pad on top of the refrigerator and just taking it down when I could. Over time I did more and more. YOu'll figure it out.
Good luck! I'll be sending good vibes your way!

Mikki Petersen
09-05-2004, 11:26 AM
Okay folks...we are setting out for Carlsbad Caverns again today. Wish is luck please. We love adventures, but some of the adventures lately have not been so lovable. I don't know whether I will have web access again for a while so I'll check in when I can.

You all have a great week and create great works of art! :wave:

meowmeow
09-05-2004, 11:32 AM
What a brave soul you are Mikki! Good luck...have fun!

Khadres
09-05-2004, 12:15 PM
Enjoy, Mikki! We'll all keep our fingers crossed that you and John have a great trip from here on out! Don't forget to take LOTS of pictures and stop to SKETCH now and then!

SweetBabyJ
09-05-2004, 12:39 PM
Congrats to all and sundry, and hope all your endeavours go swimmingly now- especially those facing trials.

I've been piddling, mostly, forced myself to try a real live landscape and so lost enthusiasm quickly, so I piddled instead. Haven't felt real well, anyway, so it's not been a big loss. But yesterday I finished it up (a relative term meaning I covered all ground with pastel and am now through bothering with it) and then cleaned up my studio area- cleaning pastels is a good way to waste time. Discovered I have far more blues than I can use, and more darks than I thought, and could use some lights. Imagine that. Then I turned my attention to "next". Well, season's changing up here- I despise winter here- there is no sun- the light is all flat grey. So, I went out and bought new lights, and found something I hope will work as faux sunshine for still life set-ups. Today I'll mess about seeing what I have to really work with- maybe get somethng started later in the day.

Long weekend here in the US- Labor Day. S'pose it matters not, really, as all weekends are long to me- but it does mean one less till my four-day class with Kitty and ALL THE PASTELS I CAN ROLL IN A FEW HOURS!!!! I better get practicin'....

bnoonan
09-05-2004, 01:01 PM
so much news..... Libby - congratulations on the news and I know it will be an adventure but one you both have been seeking and therefore - rewarding!!! I'll look forward to the stories. Ironically we were in Tahoe the same weekend and it was magnificent. no? Oh - did you catch the sign on the Placerville over ramp? What idiots!!! Sorry Mikki.

Julie - I do exactly the same thing... clean when I'm in a bit of a standstill and it's good but it's just marking time. I'm jealous of your classes with Kitty and I'm so much looking forward to the magic in your future. My visit with Dee was superb!!!

Mikki - best of luck in those caverns though I think it's a little too late to wish that... you're off line now. We'll be waiting for the story.. no doubt there will be one or two.

Dawn - any luck on the sale/move?

Paula - hope hubbie heals quickly and I know what you mean about following instructions. I'm the worst at it sometimes. I just want to ... GO...

Well off to enjoy some of the summer weather we're finally having.

Kat and all in the Florida region - oh and I guess you too Preston and Carly - be careful out there with all that rain and wind. yikeS!!!

Barb

Khadres
09-05-2004, 01:50 PM
Julie, practice up with hand exercises! By the time I got done rolling my few pastels last week, my hands were SORE! Mixing the pigments with the white to make tints is HARD on the fingers! Also, practice up on your "clean room" techniques...being a naturally sloppy person, I had the devil of a time remembering not to let the particles of one color sneak over and adulterate those of another! Wish I were going to be there with ya....FOUR days! WOOHOO!