PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Scumble - flowers

Cheena K
08-30-2004, 07:10 AM
Hi! Since weekend is the only time I get to paint, here's what I painted this sunday...it's a WIP and will take me a while to complete...since I don't yet have the greeny greens (I mean I have a limited color set!!!) there I go grumbling again....

what should I use (I mean for the optical illusion) for the leaves to make them look more natural "green"?? I have used all the ones I have and the paper won't take any more...

btw, are these magnolias?? or something else? I have a very limited vocab as far as flowers are concerned :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Aug-2004/34120-flowers_white.jpg

Deborah Secor
08-30-2004, 10:05 AM
Cheena, this is a beautiful start to your WIP~ Your greens look quite good to me at this point. I find that colors are so affected by their context, by the colors surrounding them, that you might carefully consider what background colors you'll use. I'm sure that will make a big difference in how the greens appear. I love the flowers--your pinks work very nicely with the greens, and the red and yellow centers spark the image nicely too! (No, these don't look like magnolias to me, but I can't tell you what they are either! Someone will know...) What paper are you using here and what size is it?

Looking good--keep going!

Deborah

K Taylor-Green
08-30-2004, 12:08 PM
Great start on this, Cheena. I don't know the flowers, either!!

binkie
08-30-2004, 03:20 PM
Your flowers are lovely. I really like the way they are spot lighted.

gwen

bnoonan
08-30-2004, 04:03 PM
Cheena, I know these flowers as two names... Frangipani and Plumeria. At least that's what I think of when I see these beautiful flowers - and yes you've captured that repetitve line pattern on the leaves perfectly.

Wonderful work and if you call this a scumble... I'm sitting back in the last row of the classroom.

Barb

Khadres
08-31-2004, 06:58 PM
Beautiful! Your limited collection of colors doesn't seem to be holding you back at all! This is very nice, indeed!

DGrau
08-31-2004, 10:17 PM
looks like you are off to a great start. your leaves are really looking very good. looking forward to your progress on this
david

Cheena K
09-01-2004, 07:55 AM
Thanks David, Khadres, Barb (I think I'll call it Plumeria :) sounds good!!), Gwen, Kate, Deborah (It's so nice to have you visit, thanks for looking -- I love your work) I am using Canson - wrong side, and the size is 22x25.

Finally got down to work on this...well, on a weekday ;)
I am not sure what I should do about the top right area. Here's the picture from which I am painting (another one clicked by hubby)

P.S. The painting is much brighter than this image and ofcourse as you can see the proportions are slightly off :) ....but I am learning ;)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Sep-2004/34120-plumeria_pic.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Sep-2004/34120-plumeria.jpg

meowmeow
09-01-2004, 10:21 AM
Coming along very nicely. Yes, Plumeria has a nice ring to it!

Sandy

Cheena K
09-03-2004, 03:32 AM
Thank you Sandy! I haven't gone any further...was hoping for some tips and suggestions for the top right area...where has everyone disappeared :(
I am feeling so neglected......sob sob...maybe no one likes me :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

Coming along very nicely. Yes, Plumeria has a nice ring to it!

Sandy

emmachester
09-03-2004, 04:36 AM
Cheena,

I always love to see your work, please don't feel neglected. I've looked at this several times, but haven't posted because I wasn't sure how to help with the greens and I wasn't sure what the flower was called.

As for the right corner, I would put more foliage behind the white flowers, but make them darker and out of focus. I think that would make the white flowers pop out.

This is a beautiful picture, be sure to finish it.

Sherry

I see that you still in the forum. What time of day is it in India? It's 1:30 am in Seattle (and I should be in bed.)

Cheena K
09-03-2004, 04:45 AM
Hi Sherry!
Thanks for the inputs :)
I am all geared up to complete this one.

It's lunch time here, 2.11 and I am totally famished!
I (along with my hubby and another partner) have a webdesign and multimedia development studio in India, some of our clients live in seattle area, and they stay awake to chat/work with us sometimes!) infact you may want to look up one of the seattle area projects we are working on, it's a great product for kids :) www.kidmail.net!

good night! sleep well!

emmachester
09-03-2004, 04:53 AM
Cheena,

I will definitely look that up. I probably sound old, but I think it is so cool to talk (actually write) like this to someone in a whole other part of the world like India. Because of your work you probably do this alot, but this is a hoot for me. I'm glad you take the time to contribute in this forum.

Good night,

Sherry

Cheena K
09-03-2004, 05:04 AM
You know Sherry, the internet is the best thing to happen to humankind :)
It's so wonderful, to be able to learn from people so far away. You know WC is the best thing that has happened to my art life, I have learnt so much here and it's great to be in touch with the "Gurus"!! I am sure you will have a great time here!

keep posting!

Bye! and take care!
Cheena

Cheena,

I will definitely look that up. I probably sound old, but I think it is so cool to talk (actually write) like this to someone in a whole other part of the world like India. Because of your work you probably do this alot, but this is a hoot for me. I'm glad you take the time to contribute in this forum.

Good night,

Sherry

dragonlady
09-03-2004, 06:16 AM
Cheena, please don't feel neglected. Your painting is beautiful - I've just been real busy this week and didn't have anything to add. I'm not sure if more dark leaves on the right wouldn't make the whole thing too dark. I might think about cropping the right hand side. You may already have completed this by now but if not I did a quick edit in Photoshop to try this out, of course you would put in some leaf shapes. Feel free to ignore - it's your painting. :)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2004/43451-34120-plumeria-1.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2004/43451-34120-plumeria-2.jpg

Cheena K
09-03-2004, 06:29 AM
Thanks Dragonlady :) Thanks for taking out the time to edit it for me in PS!
I kind of like the squarish feeling! I think I'll go for the darker version, and ofcourse some "out of focus" leaves. Thanks for helping me get on track :clap:

[QUOTE=dragonlady]Cheena, please don't feel neglected. Your painting is beautiful - I've just been real busy this week and didn't have anything to add. I'm not sure if more dark leaves on the right wouldn't make the whole thing too dark. I might think about cropping the right hand side. You may already have completed this by now but if not I did a quick edit in Photoshop to try this out, of course you would put in some leaf shapes. Feel free to ignore - it's your painting. :)

Cheena K
09-08-2004, 05:22 AM
Hi All!
I am back with my "weekend scumble" It's almost done, some work on the petals to make them come out...and it's ready for my wall ;) Hope you'll like it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Sep-2004/34120-plumeria_final.jpg

Cheena K
09-08-2004, 05:36 AM
Here's another "crop" with a rectangular feel. Is this one better than the squarish version? Pl. suggest.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Sep-2004/34120-plumeria_final_wide.jpg

Lisa Olivarez
09-08-2004, 07:32 AM
hI Cheena,
I like very much what you've done with this WIP. I prefer the second crop, the warmer leaves in the right bottom corner add something...
keep it up!
Lisa

Khadres
09-08-2004, 09:34 AM
I agree...that second one is lovely! Great work!

khourianya
09-08-2004, 10:47 AM
Wow! This piece is positively luminous. I love how it just glows! As for the crop. I like them both, but the rectangular one will probably be the nicest framed...

ElfeUra
09-09-2004, 05:06 AM
The second one seems perfect to me :)
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Rita

Cheena K
09-09-2004, 05:06 AM
Thanks Sooz, Cori, Lisa and Rita! I think I'll stick to the second one :)

dragonlady
09-09-2004, 05:10 AM
Cheena, this is really lovely - great job. I have been hesitating as I can't decide which crop I like best. I think the first is stronger and focuses more on the flower, but I do like the balance achieved by the addition of the lighter leaves in the bottom right hand corner.