PDA

View Full Version : S&T Monday, August 30, 2004

Oskadis
08-30-2004, 05:56 AM
Hi!

Woo, I get to start this thread today :evil:

I have been busy this weekend with jewelry and lace after some gorgeous lace arrived :D

I used on these chokers cluny lace, spanish lace and red brocade (that the right term?). I felt playful and started experimenting with chains in my designs.

Oskadis
08-30-2004, 05:59 AM
Ah not enough space for all my pretties :)

Here the last one. The chains and cab in the middle is vintage - setting and all.

tamjai
08-30-2004, 06:46 AM
karen - i like these - they would be so flattering on, i think i like the coral one best and the one with what looks like a snake - i could see myself wearing these - how do they attach in back?
tam

Oskadis
08-30-2004, 06:49 AM
Hi.

I use clamps at the back to set the ends of the lace in metal and attach to them a spring clasp or lobster clasp - depends on the size. If the lace tends to fray at the ends I will sew-seal them before I clamp them.

beclectic
08-30-2004, 09:20 AM
Lovely work Oskadis. Yes red brocade is what that red ribbon looks to be, its the right term. I like the chains drapping down onto the lower neck collar bone area. Very dramatic.

The curling snake looks a little heavy visually for the very light weight looking lace. Perhaps something a bit more heavy looking would balance it better visually.

Here is the long struggled with Ladybug Picnic neclace and close ups.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Aug-2004/29029-Ladybug_CloseUp.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Aug-2004/29029-Ladybug_Close.jpg

JAM Creations
08-30-2004, 09:24 AM
Very nice work, ladies! Something from me--I've been on a necklace kick lately. Fall colors, and I actually got to use some of my own lampwork beads!

beclectic
08-30-2004, 09:36 AM
Jam, love the beadwork, love the asymetry. I'd like a closer look at your lampwork.

Barrie
08-30-2004, 10:16 AM
Karen - great chokers!! I love the chains. I'm in agreement with Barb on the weight of the snake thingy. Maybe on the heavier lace, like the first pic? You make me want to start creating chokers now! Very inspiring!

Bab - I love the ladybug necklace!!! It's fabulous! I like that it isn't overly kitschy (sp?), and the ladybugs are a subtle addition, easier to find occassion to wear this one than one completely ladybug focussed. Great job! :clap:

Jodie - Very pretty! Close ups would be fabulous! The asymmetry of this piece is very interesting, sets off the lampwork well, I think!

Nothing from me today, might have to dig up my student pictures later. Can't wait to see more goodies everyone!!!

TheBlueBetween
08-30-2004, 10:53 AM
Karen great chokers! Though as someone with a history of thyroid trouble they do make me cringe - even though I'm in remission I can't even stand the thought of something tight around my neck. No more wonderful sweater turtlenecks for me I guess... or chokers... :crying:

Love the necklace Barbara - great job with the handmade ladybugs and those leaves are really great - and nice job with the wire work too :)

Very nice Jodie! What is that stitch you did on the seed bead side???

Oskadis
08-30-2004, 11:20 AM
Jodie, what an interesting way to set off that lampwork. I really like how that rope is shaped - altho I find the difference in shape of both sides a bit unsettling.

Concerning the snake choker: First I was all for putting it on sturdy looking lace, but it would not fit shapewise (too undulating and the lace being too geometric) - hence I settled for the spanish lace, which nicely takes up the windings of the snakes. That lace looks delicate, but it isn't. It is synthetic fiber (maybe Nylon, but not sure) and very strong. The drop is light - it's vintage lucite. ;)

Barrie
08-30-2004, 12:40 PM
Concerning the snake choker: First I was all for putting it on sturdy looking lace, but it would not fit shapewise (too undulating and the lace being too geometric) - hence I settled for the spanish lace, which nicely takes up the windings of the snakes. That lace looks delicate, but it isn't. It is synthetic fiber (maybe Nylon, but not sure) and very strong. The drop is light - it's vintage lucite. ;)

I can see what you mean about the lace being too geometric for the snakes. It's hard to tell in the picture how sturdy the spanish lace is - would love to see htese in person some day! It's very pretty by the way, sturdy lace or not!

Andee
08-30-2004, 01:18 PM
Karen - you have been busy! My fave is the brocade choker - the metal piece is just PERFECT for the pattern of the fabric! :clap:

Barbara - it's great to see something from you again! Your ladybug necklace is SOOO cute, I love it! :clap: :clap:

Jodie - I like the seedbead-spiral with the lampwork, great idea! :clap:

TurtleBay Jewelry
08-30-2004, 01:36 PM
Great work today everyone...and Barb, I think your LBE project turned out wonderfully!

Here's my first attempt at an old school Stephanie style bracelet. I practiced first with hemp and waxed linen to see how it worked out before investing in all the perle and more linen in pretty colors. It's not quite the same as the ones that Nancy makes so well, etc, but it was fun to sit and try my hand at w/o killing myself for hours on end and using a ton of beads.

It's quite comfy, and I rather like the hemp, since it gets as soft as cotton over time and wear.

I see Stephanie will be here in MI this next weekend teaching a class, so I'm going to try like heck to get into it.

Cheerio!

~Danielle

Andee
08-30-2004, 01:43 PM
Danielle - nice work! It looks like you could find that bracelet on a beach between shells and seaglass... I love it! :clap:

TurtleBay Jewelry
08-30-2004, 01:48 PM
LOL...thanks Andee!!

You know me...forever beach themes.... ;)
I can't seem to choose any other colors at times.

~D.

DonnaBee
08-30-2004, 02:09 PM
Very awsome show n tell today everyone! Beautiful!

cherrybin
08-30-2004, 04:13 PM
Hi Everyone,

Here is an even count peyote bracelet I did yesterday watching the closing ceremony of the Olympics. I used 4 x 4 Miyuki cube beads and monofilament to get it a little stretch because there is no clasp. Very easy and quick to make. This is a prototype and would like your opinion on whether or not I can use fireline as my beading thread for subsequent creations.

The bracelet is on sitting on a mirror to give it a 3D look. It was taken in my backyard under a tree. I tried to use the sky as a background but it didn't work.

Would like your opinion on all aspects (bracelet, weave, thread, picture).

Thanks.

Pat

TheBlueBetween
08-30-2004, 05:15 PM
Hi Everyone,

Here is an even count peyote bracelet I did yesterday watching the closing ceremony of the Olympics. I used 4 x 4 Miyuki cube beads and monofilament to get it a little stretch because there is no clasp. Very easy and quick to make. This is a prototype and would like your opinion on whether or not I can use fireline as my beading thread for subsequent creations.

The bracelet is on sitting on a mirror to give it a 3D look. It was taken in my backyard under a tree. I tried to use the sky as a background but it didn't work.

Would like your opinion on all aspects (bracelet, weave, thread, picture).

Thanks.

Pat

Hi Pat! Welcome to WC :) I like the bracelet a lot - it actually looks a little like the 10 min. of the closing ceremony that I saw ;) I like how even all the beads are - makes it look really polished. I'm not sure that you could do it in fireline if you are expecting a little stretch though. But then I'm surprised you get a little stretch from monofiliment?

I personally would rather see the photograph taken on a piece of light grey or white paper though - the mirror and reflection of the tree is a bit distracting and takes away from the pattern of the bracelet.

Thanks for sharing!

TheBlueBetween
08-30-2004, 05:17 PM
Here's my first attempt at an old school Stephanie style bracelet. I practiced first with hemp and waxed linen to see how it worked out before investing in all the perle and more linen in pretty colors. It's not quite the same as the ones that Nancy makes so well, etc, but it was fun to sit and try my hand at w/o killing myself for hours on end and using a ton of beads.

~Danielle

Smart woman Danielle!!! Me, I have two that I started that I poured hours into just to realize I've done it just a little bit wrong. Looks like a little piece of Florida came home with you :)