PDA

View Full Version : Question - Blending Medium

nemokin
08-30-2004, 04:35 AM
This may have been commented already on this forum, but
I was not able to find the precise reference to it. So here I go.

When using acrilycs (I use Liquitex) and trying to smoothly blend
different colors/tints, is there anyone here using the blending or
glazing medium? If so, what is the process?

Reading the "manual" on Liquitex site, it talks about first applying
the medium alone on the painting surface, proceeded by the paint,
then smoothing it out.

I have read another site (not official Liquitex site) where this
artist slightly mists the painting surface (with a wet brush) and
places the paint (mixed with medium). He then uses the
wet brush (without paint on it) to smooth out the applied paint+medium.

Historically I have used glazing technique (with water alone)
to create smooth gradation of color. I am interested in trying the
blending/glazing medium to see if the result is better or at least
more efficient in terms of process.

I'd be happy to hear what others are doing. :)

Artguy29
08-30-2004, 09:17 AM
I don't use a blending medium myself, but I think it would be safer to use it how instructed by the manufacturer (Liquitex). You might want to try both methods on very small, cheap canvas boards, too. The method of use suggested by Liquitex is like Bob Ross' "Liquid" or "Magic" white. Applying it using that method will alow you to blend and move the colors right on the canvas.

Dave

Lady Carol
08-30-2004, 10:08 AM
I do use a blending medium often. I find the best way to blend paint is to do several coats. The blending medium thins the pigment and therefore requires several goes.

dspinks
08-30-2004, 11:48 AM
Goldens' "Acrylic Glazing Medium" is essentially regular medium with retarder added. Liquitex's "Blending Medium" is similar. They are both slow drying and are great for blending both thin and thick layers. They are also nice for glazing when you have the time to wait for the layers to dry. It takes a lot longer to dry than using only regular medium. It is best not to add additional retarder when you use either of these as too much retarder will make the paint sticky and may lift layers.

Liquitex's "Glazing Medium," on the other hand, is quick drying. Because it is fast drying, it is great for doing multiple thin layers in a short time with no lifting, but it is not as useful for blending.

If I am blending and want to keep as strong color as possible, I pull a portion of color to a separate pile on the palette, then add the medium a few drops at a time. When I am glazing, I pour a small pool of medium on my palette, then mix paint into the pool with my palette knife. I start with just a touch of paint so I can control transparency.

Debra

nemokin
08-31-2004, 10:34 AM
Thank you all for commenting.

I guess the best method is to experiment with them.
I'll find what's comfortable for me soon or later.
At minimum, I'll simply go back to using water and the glaze.

:wave:

Wanderlustart
09-01-2004, 08:57 PM
I can't live without Golden's Flow Release; Winsor has one as well. They used to call it "Water Tension Breaker" ... they've changed it now, but I always liked the name. :)

The flow stuff breaks down the polymer resins and allows a beautiful smooth flow of pigment without diluting the color's brilliance or hue. It slows drying some and facilitates blending.

I don't think it is the same as the "glazing medium" as it does not have any medium in it, nor does it have retarder.

You might want to consider adding this to your arsenal as well.

Patricia

katz
09-01-2004, 09:36 PM
On my last painting, I used the Golden soft gel matte, I put some on my brush and blended with the paint on my canvas, I was able to get softer effects for blending from light to dark.
Hope this helps.
Katz