PDA

View Full Version : I thought I had a beer left?!

Rabiya
08-30-2004, 04:31 AM
Hi this is my first show and tell. Not my best work, but it has a story. I have also just finished figuring out how to get the pictures out of the camera and into the computer. Now to figure out how to get the picture into this post....

Now about the title of this post....This happened about early June. I have been lampworking once a week since the end of April this year. I noticed that we had a 6-pack of empty beer in the house. And I wondered if I could use the glass for beads. I cleaned an empty bottle and took it to school along with my bead-making supplies. (I am a Home Economics teacher.) After school I was showing 3 students how to make beads and letting them have a turn each. At the end of the session, I dug out the bottle and made 2 beads, rolled them in a little silver pixie dust and shaped them into a triangular shape with the marver. Meanwhile my husband arrived home and noticed that the 6-pack contained only 5 empties. He decided to look in the fridge for this beer that he thought he had consumed but now figures must still exist or why else would there be only 5 empties. Later I arrived home and proudly showed him the beads first and then the strangely sculptured bottle. He was a little unhappy about the fact that the beer did not exist after all. :D

I usually use Moretti glass for my beads.

isle-of-cats
08-30-2004, 04:43 AM
LOL, that is a funny story...
I can totally see him going to the fridge and lookin' around... thinkin' hhmmmmm
hahahahaaaa, I probably would have waited a couple days longer to make him wonder... :evil:

I love the green beads! I wish my BF drank out of green bottles so I could make green beer bottle beads but he only drinks out of the brown ones... I guess I could try brown ones... LOL

Hey what if you broke up beer bottle pieces and pulled them into stringer and decorated Moretti with light design work?????? I wonder if they would break????

BTW, Welcome to WC!
I am sure we will meet up some time soon since I move to Vancouver in October :D

Also, I looked at your profile and saw you like the SCA and belly dancing!!!
I used to do a Ren Faire in CA and I am really starting to miss it!
I know the SCA events can be really fun; I went to a couple in CA.
Are there any Ren Faires in BC?
Do you do belly dancing classes?
I would love to do that once I get settled!!!

Rabiya
08-30-2004, 07:01 AM
I love the green beads! I wish my BF drank out of green bottles so I could make green beer bottle beads but he only drinks out of the brown ones... I guess I could try brown ones... LOL

Hey what if you broke up beer bottle pieces and pulled them into stringer and decorated Moretti with light design work?????? I wonder if they would break????

I answered other snipped stuff privately, but some of the "what" with the rest of your post, I felt I should share here.
My husband drinks unusual strong, imported or small brewery labels. Which is where you tend to get the green glass. I didn't think green glass was so different but others have commented also. The mother at the place where I get my glass (its family run) was surprised that the glass didn't shatter.

You could try breaking it, but I tried some blue glass that had initially housed some bath products from a Vegas Hotel that has an Egyption theme (can't remember the name) this weekend. I broke it to get it into managable pieces and it needed a hotter flame than the beer bottle even and it was wanting to shatter all over as I attempted to heat it slowly. This may have been a result of me breaking it. It was not a beer bottle and maybe beer bottle glass is different. Make sure the bottle is dry or the heat will turn any liquid to steam and make the bottle difficult to hold. I found that I had to use a much higher flame (I use a HH) with the beer bottle (than Moretti glass) to pull it with pliers to a shape that I could wind. I tried a third with blue adventurine while at Clinton War this year. Quite pretty. Be aware that the COE will be different from Moretti and it will most likely chip. I obtained one bead from the blue glass and put some Periwinkle stringer on it and found that the stringerwhile still attached (I melted it in), showed fracture lines around its edge and in other places as it cooled. Maybe some of the more experienced WC members would like to comment. :wave:

Vaverska
08-30-2004, 08:08 AM
Neato! I love to see people recycling!...but I thought I was the only one so obsessed with re-using things that I'd use ANYTHING to make a bead! At my house, I Have two boxes of stained glass bits from Church windows. The first bits are from the window that came from the church I grew up in when they remodeled it (about1985!....I'm a pack rat, I know! But even then I felt I could do"something" with them). The second is from another local church thatsufferd extensive storm damage this fourth of july. A friend asked me if I could use them in any "art"...and I have decided to do so, and donate any profits made back to her church to assist in funding the repairs.
This glass just seems special to me, for the obvious sentimental reasons on the first.....but in both cases, just because of the positive spiritual energies I imagine both to have absorbed throught the years. I'm very spiritual, and ( whatever the Religion) I feel blessed and awed any time I am in the presence of Great Faith!

llglassdesigns
08-30-2004, 08:27 AM
[QUOTE=Vaverska]The second is from another local church thatsufferd extensive storm damage this fourth of july. A friend asked me if I could use them in any "art"...and I have decided to do so, and donate any profits made back to her church to assist in funding the repairs.
QUOTE]

Carrie, what a wonderful idea. This whole thread has got me thinking. I'm not much of a beer drinker, but there is a bottled water company that uses a gorgeous icy cobalt blue glass bottle. I'll have to look for it the next time I go to the store.
Rabiya, that is funny. I can just picture your husband rummaging through the fridge. Tee hee. What kind of annealing schedule did you use? I would think it is kind of hit or miss, but fun. Thanks for the idea.
Deb

Vaverska
08-30-2004, 08:34 AM
BTW...there are several threads here about testing coe's of glass...I'm not especially good with the techie stuff, but you can search, and I'm sure "someone" ( Beth?..PLEASE!?!??...picking on you because you always seem to pop in with a link to the right thread! :) !)...can list just such a link. I do the "stringer" test on any glass I recycle for torching...so far, so good!

Rabiya
08-30-2004, 09:12 AM
Deb:

I don't possess an anealer yet. :crying: I have to wait for the teacher paychecks to start rolling in again, but my husband's camera has to get paid for first. He's happy though.

The beads along with many others have been rattled around in a compartmetalized plastic box as I carry them and my kit with me to various places and so far nothing has happened. They seemed to cool at about the same rate as the Moretti in the blanket. The blue glass that shattered so much cooled really fast. It was a very strange glass!!

llglassdesigns
08-30-2004, 09:27 AM
Rabiya,

Got to keep hubby happy! lol. I guess I'll just start with the schedule for Moretti and see what happens. Does anyone know how to test to see if something has been properly annealed? I think I read that if you put them in the freezer and none of them crack, they are OK.

Deb

edit: I found a thread on this subject. Some say to use the freezer method and some say to use a polarizer.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180002&highlight=freezer+annealed

!Karen
08-30-2004, 12:46 PM
Here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207851&highlight=coe%2A+glass) is a thread with a list of different COE's for glass.

And here's (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140827&highlight=stringer+test+compatability) one detailing strand testing and other compatability testing proceedures.