PDA

View Full Version : A beading 101 question

therezeann
08-29-2004, 01:10 PM
Concerned about the details and quality of the bracelets/necklaces I am making. I sometimes use (actually the only beading wire I like) softflex 49 .019. However, I have some lampwork beads that have somewhat large hole diameters. I generally will string seed beads to take up space. I do this for asthetics and to reduce wear and tear on the flexwire. My question is this, will a loose lampwork bead on this type wire compromise the wire in the long run? I know that this might be somewhat nit-picky but just curious about what the more advanced people do.....

Thanks,
T.

earthenwood
08-29-2004, 01:25 PM
Thereze,
Hi there! Welcome to Wet Canvas! I have strung many a bead on softflex 019 and I think you have the right idea by filling the hole with seed beads on a large holed bead to help wear. I sometimes will also use a bead shape on either side that I can wedge into the holes of the bead to help center it.

I'm also in Michigan! Maybe we will see each other at the bead bonanza in September! (I guess it depends on where in Michigan you are ,though!) :wave:

therezeann
08-29-2004, 03:58 PM
Hi Melanie,
Thanks for replying. I thought that was the way to go. I am very in love with the way crystals can enhance the or compliment color in boro beads. I use bicone shapes to fill the rest of the bead's opening. I am sure that there are more creative options but as of now, this is my favorite. My next move will be learning how to manipulate sterling wire with lampwork. :cat:

T.