PDA

View Full Version : Immigrant Markets

Meldy
08-29-2004, 11:43 AM
I had posted this a while back in the Oil Pastel Forum, but as an Illustration wanted to know what you thought. This was done for an Immigrant Markets conference and the whole image was used on postcards. I then cropped the image to be close up on the activity going on in the U.S. for brochure covers and used many elements throughout for the inside of the brochures. Fun project, and if you will believe how crazy I am.. my first Illustration project for my company as well as my first Oil Pastel. I did a LOT of research. They were pleased with the end result as my clients. Now I am looking for artistic input and thoughts so that my next projects can grow. Thanks!

Axl
08-29-2004, 12:15 PM
Hey I can't believe this is your FIRST oil pastel! Thats nuts! How did you like the experience? Will you be using thie medium more often now that you've had a taste of it?

I love how bright and colourful your image is! My only comments are that I don't think the houses pop as much as they could - I find that there is too much yellow in the surrounding trees that causes them to blend into the yellow sky. I would suggest adding a brighter green to the treese, to help distinquish them from the sky, which I think inturn would help make the houses pop out better.

This illustration must have looks fabulous on those cards! The brightness of the image really catches the eye :D Great stuff :D

Meldy
08-29-2004, 12:48 PM
Thanks Axl! I love the medium and am continuing to work with it. I love the way it offers me both drawing and painting techniques and actually even though this is a tighter compostition, lets me loosen up more in other experiences than I have been able to in other media. The possibilities are endless!

You are so right about the trees. I think that is where the most difficulty was for me in making a decision. So I don't think I pressed them as much as I should have. Funny how those insecurities stand out and wave. :wave:

Thank you for looking!

designbyjen
08-30-2004, 10:33 AM
hiya
my comment would be...if you notice how the dk blue/purple frames the bottom of the piece...i'd do the same w/ the the top by adding a deeper orange around the edges. think this would also make the blue of the earth pop some more w/ the complimentary thing going on.
great concepting--very clear message!
~~~jen

AFM159
08-30-2004, 01:06 PM
Look at me comming in late - all the good comments taken. ahh...well....

Very nice! I was gonna say somthing along the lines of pushing the sky color further towards orange too. You would get that orange/blue complimentary thing going on and also the added benifit of better contrast with the trees and buildings, thus they might standout better.

OR

go the other way. Take the sky color further towards a cooler yellow to compliment the violets I see and then just darken the trees with a warm green.

And

as to how it works as an illustration, I think you captured the concept very well. Has a nice bright dynamic look that ought to capture peoples attention well. It clearly relates to the subject, and enhances it as well. And it's good you were able to use parts of it for the inside of the brochure too. That keeps all elements linked throughout.

Meldy
08-30-2004, 01:16 PM
Thanks guys! You are great. After reading your comments I have concluded that I would have liked to add more green to the trees AND either lightened the sky or added some orange around the edges of the town. I did try for the more orange overall in the background but then it was like the sky was on fire... and it was overwhelming. You guys have a good eye (collectively and separately he he) ;)