PDA

View Full Version : Russian Market

lkgk
08-28-2004, 08:25 PM
My first attempt at something NOT fast, loose, and splashy. 8x10 stretched canvas. From a photo, St. Petersburg, 1992. C&C, please!

Artguy29
08-28-2004, 09:11 PM
You have done an excellent job on this. The only area that seems "out of place" is the scale. It just doesn't fit into the painting. It also stands out too much. Most of the colors of the rest of the painting are very subtle and smooth, where as the scale is very bright and bold. I think you should take another look at that area; dulling the blue may help. Overall this is great.

Dave

sassybird
08-29-2004, 12:33 AM
I agree with Dave about the scale. The rest of the painting is very nicely rendered. I love how you portrayed the women and the bags of goodies that they are selling from. This is a lot of detail in so small a painting. You did great.

lkgk
08-29-2004, 08:34 AM
Thank you Dave and Sassybird! I agree- even though it's not nearly so bright IRL, the scale definitely needs to be toned down. Working so small was really a challenge for me!

jbitzel
08-30-2004, 08:14 AM
I like the mood but maybe it would be better with more contrast, it looks a little grey and the shadows are a little light. James