PDA

View Full Version : Howdy from the new girl!

Llama Girl
08-28-2004, 08:16 PM
Hello to all!! :wave:

MY name is Shannon Handel - I've been lampworking since early May of last year and have been completely obsessed by it since. I DO in fact have llamas (and alpacas, too) so the title of 'llama girl' is totally apt :) I live in south west British Columbia (near some of the canvasers I've seen posted here) and am currently working my way through school to become a teacher. I hope to make many more posts and to 'meet' all you canvasers.

I'm putting up a couple pics of some critters on our farm for y'all to giggle at,

Shannon

JavaGirlBT
08-28-2004, 08:24 PM
Welcome to WC! I love alpacas. Someone in my town has a whole herd. They are so cute and they have beautiful eyes!

Moonlight Creations
08-28-2004, 08:27 PM
Shannon ~ Welcome to WC! I haven't been here long myself but have learned so much from everyone since then! These beeds you posted on today's S&T are fabulous! If I could only find a recent picture of Guinness, my Airedale Terrier, you might say that he looks like the first picture of the llamas! Very fuzzy and cute! ~ Sonje :wave:

Llama Girl
08-28-2004, 08:34 PM
Hioh!

Yuppers - we have a herd of about 60 llamas and alpacas; they all ahve their own names and personalities. The handsome fellow is Carlos - I've had him since he was five months old and he was my 4-H animal, and now our herd's stud. He's super strange when it comes to personatity quirks - he has to be 'driving' when we take him for outside breedings, he sings (badly) with the radio, he's afraid of heights...etc, etc...and Fozzie (the one I'm cuddling with) is one we recently sold to one of our neighbors.

Aside from the critters, I'm always tring to keep myself out of trouble by sticking myself behind the torch - I have a HH right now, but I'll be getting my Minor torch set up soon (hopefully).

Nice to meet you both,
Shannon

mperaza
08-28-2004, 08:38 PM
Hi Shannon :wave:

Welcome! thanks for the pictures - of both your critters here and your beads in today's show and tell! Look forward to seeing more.

Marilyn

Llama Girl
08-28-2004, 08:41 PM
Thanks, Marilyn! Nice to meet you.

!Karen
08-28-2004, 08:42 PM
Hi Shannon - great pics and love those furry critters!!! Hope to see some of your work soon!!

:)Karne

rosebead
08-28-2004, 08:45 PM
Hello & Welcome. I love your llamas & alpacas.
Back in my spinning & weaving days alpaca was my favorite fiber. Seeing your babies makes me want to get my spinning wheell out again! Too bad I don't even have enough time to torch in a regular basis, my spinning wheel will have to continue to collect dust.
i hope you feel at home here.

CharleneN
08-28-2004, 08:47 PM
Hi Shannon,

Nice to meet you and great pics!

Ellen Altamore
08-28-2004, 09:19 PM
Welcome Shannon. We had a bunch of alpacas in town last weekend for our annual fiber fest. Haul a few down our way next year, why doncha!

KellyD
08-28-2004, 09:58 PM
Shannon,

Welcome, nice to meet you. I love the pics of your Lama's! They definately made me smile ;)
Kelly

Sassyglassgal
08-28-2004, 10:31 PM
Shannon, welcome to WC, everyone here is so helpful and a great bunch of people who never say no to a ? Now on to your cuddling sweeties, lord they're so beautiful, closest I've ever come to a llama was at the zoo. Your farm must be loads of fun. I started on a HH and I made some incredible things with it, then when I got the minor I let it sit for a couple of months because I couldn't come to grips with giving up my HH. Pretty funny eh? And my hubby was alittle worried (money you know) and the cost of the the minor set up etc. Then I finally got up the gumption to tackle it and now, I have two torches, the minor, and a redmax for boro working. Love em both. You will too and we will be looking forward to seeing your work. :clap:

MegannsMom
08-28-2004, 10:32 PM
AWWWWW! Me wants a llama! Or...an Alpaca....or....whatever that darling is in the first pic.... :) They are both adorable, but that first guy REALLY would rather have moved in with me than those other people! No, REALLY! he told me so! Geez...all I have are boring rats and dog and cat and bird! (unless you count the black squirrels, possums, raccoons, deer, snapping turtles, muskrats, etc that live and eat outside my front door. Yes, we live in the sticks.) ANYHOO....WELCOME! :wave: You are gonna LOVE it here!
~Cindy

Llama Girl
08-29-2004, 12:54 AM
Wow - I feel so at home and welcomed already!! Thanks everybody!

Llama Girl
08-29-2004, 12:57 AM
AH! Loud Quote!! Stil getting used to this stuff...

Llama Girl
08-29-2004, 12:59 AM
is it fixed yet, I wonder....?

Llama Girl
08-29-2004, 01:14 AM
Yay!! Fixed the quote, but now I need to work on getting my little profile pic up...hmmmm....

StefaniBeads
08-29-2004, 01:23 AM
Welcome to WC! You'll love it here! :)

The llamas are sooo cute!! I know a few people near me that have them. Most of them are sweet and gentle, and a few have personalities like some people I know! Pushy, lol! :rolleyes: ;) :D

Llama Girl
08-29-2004, 01:34 AM
LOL!!! Too true! They all have their own quirks, and our herd comes complete with a few 'diva llamas' to boot.

Rose Leslie
08-29-2004, 08:59 AM
Good morning and welcome to WC. It is fun to be here. Also your picture of your LLama is just beautiful. He she has the most beautiful eyes and eye lashes. Photo is beautiful. It looks cold there. When getting older tha heat is wonderful. I think that helps if you lamp work. The heat from the kiln helps heat the rooms. Nice. Can't wait to meet you in the future. :clap: :clap:

Nicole Carlson
08-29-2004, 10:22 AM
Hi Shannon,

Welcome to WC! Nice to see another beadmaker from BC. :wave:

Have you checked out the Pacific Pyros (http://mypage.uniserve.ca/~pacificpyros/)?

llglassdesigns
08-29-2004, 10:32 AM
Hi there Shannon,

Welcome to the addiction of WC! and lampworking. I love your pictures of the llamas. We have a couple of farms that raise llamas near here. I just love to drive by when they have babies. So cute!

Deb

isle-of-cats
08-29-2004, 11:41 PM
Hi Shannon & Welcome!!!

I love your beautiful babies, my mom would just die if she saw those pictures!
She is a major fiber artist and loves Llamas and Alpacas :D

Have you met any other beadmakers in the area?
Have you been to Andrighetti in Vancouver?
When I get settled in Vancouver I am going to try to have regular get-togethers at my house, I would love to keep in touch and have you come.

So nice to "meet" you!

nicker
08-30-2004, 12:53 AM
Hey Shannon!

Cute pics. One of my best friends has Alpachas! I am a 4-H leader! Small world huh? Hey do you bring them over to the Saanich Fair on the Island?

Llama Girl
08-30-2004, 04:06 AM
Hi Nicole(s) - Actually, I'm able to get out to Lynne Chapell's the first Wednesday of every month - Sunlight Glass in Surrey where a number of local bead makers get together and do what we love to do. It's an open door kind of thing, so if you're in the area, y'all should drop in (but we're holding it on the SECOND Wednesday for this September). I even have a form to joint the Pyros, but I'm so disorganized I haven't had the time/opportunity to get my butt in gear to join.

Nicole (Nicker) - I was in 4-H for 2 years - we never went to the island but we know several farms from there. If you ever came to the Agrifair, PNE, or Maple Ridge Fair 1996-1999, chances are you saw me in the show ring. Right now we have a mojor surplus of fibre (I used to have time to spin, but no such luck in the last few years, and now lampworking takes up any time I would have had to do any fibre work). This whole summer my mom and I have been shearing on the weekends - the only time we have to do the shearing together.

Toodles for now everybody,
Shannon

Rabiya
08-30-2004, 07:15 AM
Hey Llama Girl

Looks like you live near by. I've probably driven by your place. There are a few llama farms in the area both Surrey and Langley side.

Being a teacher myself, I wish you all the best considering the...ummm...political climate.

There is also a lot to learn here and some fascinating beads and techniques, but there are some very helpful people to guide the rest of us newbies through them.

Vaverska
08-30-2004, 08:27 AM
Hi Shannon! Hi Llama's!...lol, and sorry to be so pokey in sending a greeting! Welcome, I'm sure you will learn much from this place, I already have learned scads more than I taught myself in the past 9 months!

Orca
08-30-2004, 03:25 PM
Hi Shannon, and welcome!

Hope to meet you at Lynne's next Wednesday!!

Llama Girl
08-30-2004, 04:11 PM
Rabiya - I live on 0 Avenue - so if you ever go down that way, I'm the llama farm with the wagonwheel and the long driveway. If you ever want to drop by to look at the llamas, let me know and I'll give you my number.

Sherry - !!! I've been hoping you would be coming to Lynne's for the longest time! We met briefly when your husband was fighting fires and you were picking up pounds of glass from Lynne - we talked briefly about the best way to make heart beads - I have to THANK YOU for your tips. It made everything so much easier than the way I had been going about it. I have been following your beads on E-Bay, and all I can say is WOW...no, really, WOW. I can't even begin to try to articulate how marvelous I find your work!! I don't know if Lynne e-mailed you for this next bead night; It's going to be on the 8th, not the 1st (Lynne broke her arm and wants a little more time to heal up). So if you heard from her, great, if not, well then you're in the loop now :)

Thanks to all you ladies for your welcome and support,
Talk to y'all later,
Shannon