PDA

View Full Version : flat peyote stich

tamjai
08-28-2004, 04:07 PM
okay - so i'm practicing this stitch for the freeform challenge and my question(s) is this - is my tension too tight, making it curly or will it relax? also - is it customary to bend your needle all to heck ?? I am using 6lb spiderline and size 8 seedbeads. one end seems nice and square and the other end seems tapered - any advice? does this make sense? :confused:
tam

Gingerbiscuit
08-28-2004, 04:37 PM
okay - so i'm practicing this stitch for the freeform challenge and my question(s) is this - is my tension too tight, making it curly or will it relax? also - is it customary to bend your needle all to heck ?? I am using 6lb spiderline and size 8 seedbeads. one end seems nice and square and the other end seems tapered - any advice? does this make sense? :confused:
tam

Did you start with an even number of beads? At one end the turn would be different if you have an odd number. If you don't do the right turn with an odd number, one end could go funny. With an even number, you have the same turn at both ends.

If one end is square, I wouldn't think it would be your tension.

But, the thing with freeform is that anything goes, so why not "go with the flow?"

Yes, your needle will end up like a banana! :D

tamjai
08-28-2004, 05:52 PM
I admit I didn't count! - there are other obvious counting mistakes so i perhaps i'll just cover it with fringe :evil: and try again. I do want to try to make a nice even flat bracelet before i start messing around - it must come from my training as a potter ( wedge a hundred perfect balls, throw a hundred perfect mugs and maybe you'll have a couple of decent ones!...and then maybe after doing this for years you'll start to develop a style of your own!!) okay maybe i exaggerate a smidge.....
thanks for the feedback Lynne!
tam

TheBlueBetween
08-28-2004, 10:40 PM
I get curls or waves when I use different size beads...

show us a picture maybe?

:) Pam

tamjai
08-29-2004, 02:11 PM
here is an example, the beads are size 8 and i'm using 8lb spiderline - sorry about the pic....
tam

TheBlueBetween
08-30-2004, 01:45 AM
here is an example, the beads are size 8 and i'm using 8lb spiderline - sorry about the pic....
tam

hmn... well it looks like the part on the left is where you first started practicing and then it gets much better and even and smooth - then you missed a bead (I think) and then it's fine again. The tension seems to vary as you go along too - I think you are getting the hang of it though so don't give up! One of the nice things about freeform is you can take the curl and make it part of the design, or you can embellish over the parts that don't look quite the way you wanted and if you miss a bead or two - you can say that was part of the design as well -or you can fill it in later with something else.

Not sure why your needle is all bent to heck though?

Gingerbiscuit
08-30-2004, 06:20 AM
One of the nice things about freeform is you can take the curl and make it part of the design, or you can embellish over the parts that don't look quite the way you wanted and if you miss a bead or two - you can say that was part of the design as well -or you can fill it in later with something else.

Not sure why your needle is all bent to heck though?

I agree with Pam - with freeform, whatever happens, you can say it is deliberate!

A size 10 needle is less likely to bend (it's thicker) but it will still bend a bit. A size 11 can bend and twist a lot, and a 12 somewhere in between. With size 8 beads, there is plenty of room for a 10, my needle of choice whenever the beads let me. And I prefer it like a banana! It will also pass through most 15's. With 8's, if you would like a sturdier needle, try a size 9 or 10 milliners (straw) needle. hth :)