PDA

View Full Version : Two new acrylic abstracts... "The Allegory of the Cave"

edzstudios
08-28-2004, 01:38 PM
here are two new abstracts I've done in the same style as my previous few, using modeling paste to create texture and scumbling layers of acrylic over it... The first one is called "The Allegory of the Cave" in reference to Plato's work of the same name... the other is as of yet untitled(open to suggestions!) anyway, I am really liking this technique, and the pieces seem popular. I think I will add some of the slides to my permanent portfolio to start showing galleries next month :-) Anyway, comments/critiques?

P.S. forgot to mention, the "allegory" pice is 22"x44", the other is 16"x20" both acrylic on gallery wrap canvas...

Even If It Rains
08-28-2004, 02:44 PM
Hmm can see why they are popular , they do have a nice 'rustic' feel to them.
The texture certainly adds interest to it. Love the colours.
Just a slight niggle is i'm not sure they are 'abstract' more decorative, if there is a difference because they don't really look like anything (to me)

I think if you were to just suggest a likeness to something it may add to it...

(just my opinion, expect everyone will disagree with me as usual :) )

Matt

sassybird
08-28-2004, 02:48 PM
The warm colors of the first one is very appealing. The areas where you used the modling paste reminds me of stalagminte and stalagtites.

The second one gave me a title when I fist looked at it, Sign Post in a Snow Storm. That is what I see, and it looks like dogs pulling a sleigh in the background.

Though both are appealing I lean towards the second one for the montion and light in the piece.

Artguy29
08-28-2004, 09:17 PM
These are very interesting. I think I like the second more than the first. How about "Tropical Waterfall" for a title? Not sure if that is too crazy for words, but thats what I see in it. Nice work.

Dave

chandlerjr
08-28-2004, 11:31 PM
I'm with Dave on this--I like the 2nd painting more. It kind of reminds me of some of the photos taken by the Hubble space telescope.
Larry C.
These are very interesting. I think I like the second more than the first. How about "Tropical Waterfall" for a title? Not sure if that is too crazy for words, but thats what I see in it. Nice work.

Dave

it'sALLart
08-29-2004, 10:03 AM
these are both really nice. the 2nd one looks like more time was spent on it, but I could be wrong. I think i like the fact that it isn't as "centered" as the first. but i like the palette on the first one very much.

IMO, i wouldnt try to be too concrete on the titles if I were you, i.e. naming them for what they might resemble in a figurative world. If your work is mostly abstract, galleries will probably be more accepting of the package (you and your work) if the titles don't lead them to believe you're trying to make things comfy for the viewer (or yourself) by giving them something familiar to home in on. Your first title is very good in that respect.

title idea for 2nd: "northern signals"

my reasoning (which could be way off base): it has the same aspects of cold and signage that sassy's theme puts forth but doesn't have a concrete tie-in to actual figurative elements, thus leaving it possibly more evocative. in this way, there is no possibility of turning off a potential veiwer that may not like or relate to signs, snow, dogs, sleighs or any combination of them. it helps people come up with their own definition of the work instead of giving it to them and possibly boxing them in from the start.

this was something that i learned a while ago from an instructor about naming and it really helped me:

1. think of what concrete things the work reminds you of and write them down

2. then think of what emotions, themes or related ideas are connected to the original words and write them down

3. then think of words that describe the ideas in no. 2 and write them down. these are your title words which can be combined in pleasing structures for titles.

It's a pretty easy way to name things and keep them "abstract", IMO. hope this helps you. sorry for blathering so much, i've had coffee!