PDA

View Full Version : Halloween Typecasting

emmachester
08-28-2004, 01:28 PM
My first completed attempt at a figure. After seeing dj's gorgeous oil painting of a child in the critique corner, I felt inspired to try again. I am determined to do portraits if it kills me.

This is from a photograph of a friend's child named Tommy in his Halloween costume. All feedback welcome.

9x12 - pastels on Wallis paper

Sherry

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Aug-2004/47091-Tommy3.jpg

Kathryn Wilson
08-28-2004, 08:40 PM
Hi Emma - thanks for sharing this with us. It's an inventive subject and such a cute child. For your very first completed figure, I would say you've done a very good job.

Hope to see more of your work!

DGrau
08-28-2004, 09:37 PM
very good for a first full attempt..keep it up :)
david

emmachester
08-29-2004, 08:22 PM
Well, I completely started over last night. I think that this one looks a little more like Tommy, although I am a long way from worrying about resemblence. I'm happy if it looks vaguely human.

C & c welcome. (I wish I could go back and erase the first one, but we all have to start somewhere.)

9 x 12 Wallis

Sherry

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Aug-2004/47091-Tommy_4.jpg

Khadres
08-29-2004, 10:31 PM
I do like the second one even better than the first, but wow! BOTH are lots better than I can do with figures! Cute subject, too! You'll really amaze yourself with your progress as you keep trying...you sound as if you really WANT to do figures, so you will....better and better ones with each try. And starting out with these....you're already well on your way! I especially like the little guy's hands! I also like the second composition lots better!

khourianya
08-29-2004, 11:44 PM
I agree totally. I do like the second one better, but both of these are amazing. I cannot even get close to making something look human, let alone proportionately human.

My one concern is the amount of white in his eyes. It makes him look quite startled. I think if you darken the pupil a bit and show just a speck of white as a highlight, it will add a ton of realism to the eyes...just my thought and others may disagree, but i think it will help.

other than that - I really, really like it!

emmachester
08-30-2004, 01:33 AM
Thanks everyone, good feedback.

Cori, I think you're right about the eyes. I'm going to tinker with them some more.

Suzanne--thanks for your thoughtful remarks. It's nice that you spend the extra time to give us newbies a little encouragement. By the way, I have 3 dogs at my house (I noticed your Bay Window Gang.) It takes a certain kind of person to have more than 2. (I suspect that you know what I mean.)

Thanks everyone,

Sherry