PDA

View Full Version : jim morrison

cherynreznor
08-28-2004, 03:07 AM
hey everyone
this is my most recent portrait. it is jim morrison and his girlfriend pam. i used B lead and an ebony pencil on bristol, 10"x9". i tried out the tissue blending method, it works great! the scanner wasn't quite big enough to get the entire drawing, but that's okay. to see a larger, better quality picture, please go to my page.

http://www.geocities.com/cheryntrentreznor/art.html

any comments and critiques are greatly appreciated! :D

LOU ZERR
08-28-2004, 10:34 AM
:clap: very good...now if you will excuse me Im just going to put my boots on and walk on down the hall :evil:

Axl
08-28-2004, 02:35 PM
Ooo i saw this earlier but didnt get a chance to comment at the time. This is really well rendered and looks very good! The only thing that seams slightly off to me is the size of pam's head, unless she just has big hair ;)

cherynreznor
08-28-2004, 05:32 PM
lou zerr- thanks! jim sure was a crazy one!

axl- thanks for the comments! her hair looks big in the reference pic, but i did notice that her hair was a little too big. thanks for pointing that out. i did some minor adjustments. i'm posting the ref pic and the fixed drawing.

TedDawson
08-29-2004, 10:35 AM
Awesome drawing. You're too good for this to just be a hobby... What are your plans for your art?

Axl
08-29-2004, 11:18 AM
Wow that is big hair! I stand corrected!!!

I agree with ted. You must do something more with this than just have it as a hobby ^.^ Your fabulous

cherynreznor
08-29-2004, 11:18 PM
:wave: teddawson and axl- thanks! for the time being it's just a hobby, but i do plan to go to college hopefully next year and get a bachelor in fine arts. i'd love to have a career in art of some kind. thanks again!

LarrySeiler
08-30-2004, 08:10 AM
excellent excellent drawing....(and being an art instructor you know there is bound to always be a "but...") ....but,

to fool the viewer even more to the dimensional realism possibilities of this one it is important that you soften that edge of Jim's left side of his face going into the shadows between him and the girl. Edges are extremely important in their treatment.

For one any rounded surface going back that a pair of eyes can see will not be so sharp. If I were looking at a person's cheeks....say, his left side. My right eye would see further around the side of his face than say my left eye.

One eye closed, that cheek my appear more hard edge...but both eyes open there is this shift that goes back and forth in the mind's eye that resolves the issue by recognizing the issue as simply..."rounded, going back in space."

By softening, even obscuring rounded edges...on a flat 2D form, you subtlely suggest this affect happening.

Secondly...because of the value contrast from the shadows...the dark hair to his face, there will be a sense of it being a harder edge anyway...so one can even exaggerate that softening, that obscurring...and if the artist does not, s/he takes a risk that the subject will appear like a decal pasted on...but instead, you want the form to appear as it is going back into the shadow. Make sense?

Not much really...but it will make the face pop even more three-dimensionally.

keep up the good work!

Larry

designbyjen
08-31-2004, 10:06 PM
i like how you share your mediums & methods ;) hey...speaking of which...f.y.i. there is a great article regarding graphite & charcoal blending methods in the sept. issue of 'the artist's magazine'. maybe not anything you don't already know...but i was intrigued in the detail that he went into & even in carefully using charcoal & graphite together in a piece.
how about a lil' portrait business...you got all these great pieces to entice clients :)
~~~jen

furrtig
08-31-2004, 11:19 PM
wow! all hail the lizard king. thats a great rendering.

Jason Seiler
09-01-2004, 09:20 AM
Hey great drawing! Very cool to see what you drew it from! Great likeness!
-jason