PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else set gemstones?

tamisgem
08-27-2004, 07:35 PM
Besides using the lampwork my super hubby makes, I also set gemstones. But I am looking for someone to get Marcasite settings from. Does anyone have any ideas? Or perhaps other resources for gold and silver settings besides Rio? I would love to talk to someone about gemstones, it is mostly a hobby for me but between those and my lovely beadies I am in Jewelry Heaven!!
Thanks!
Tami :wave:

lauren1024kb
08-27-2004, 08:52 PM
What kind of setting? Snap, pre-notched, or plain prongs?

thaigem.com has some nice settings, although a bit pricey since they are gold.

tamisgem
08-28-2004, 01:02 AM
Hi Lauren,
I like the pre-notched since I am so new at it. Don't care for the snap in's. Thank you, I did look at that one. Also Tripps, who I do buy from. Thanks for the help!
Tami

McDuck
08-28-2004, 05:52 AM
Hi Tami, I do too! But wont be able to write much as I am at a show right now and leave for vacation monday. Let me look tonight after i return from the show to see what other venues I can offer up.

-Mary who loves gemstones too!

Barrie
08-28-2004, 11:31 AM
Hi Tami! Can you ever have enough gemstones?? Not!! Have you looked at Jamming Gems (http://www.jamminggems.com) ? I haven't bought from them, my friend has. Great service according to her. I usually get mine locally at a company called JW Findings (http://www.jwfindings.com) , not sure what they have but remember it's Canadian dollars (savings for you! :) ) LOL! Have fun!!

somk
08-28-2004, 11:59 AM
Barrie, you're SO right, can't have enough gemstones :p (that JW findings site is cool !)
For standard settings, I like Ritter Supplies (http://www.jsritter.com/)
Depending on the size of the marcasite you want to set, remember that sometimes tiny drops of metal that you "push" on the marcasite is 90% of the time sufficient. but that will depend on the size of course. It works faboo for 1mm up to 4 mm stones.
Show us your work !! :D

tamisgem
08-28-2004, 02:07 PM
:clap:
Well first let me say a big ol' THANK YOU!! I loved browsing through all the sites including all of yours! What wonderful creations. I am still very new at the gemstones although the beads I have been at for a bit. I'm shoing a couple of my pieces that I just did. One is SS with a 3.5ct Swiss Blue Topaz with African Amethyst. I love that color combo! The other one is my first "real" ring done in white gold and .51cts of diamonds. The center stone is a gorgeous very clear Rubalite Tourmaline. Thank you all! I am really begining to love this place!
Oh and the pictures are NOT that good so I appologize.

somk
08-28-2004, 02:39 PM
Great traditionnal work ! Did you carve the Rubellite ring ? because those tiny prongs would really suit marcasites *nodsnods*

tamisgem
08-28-2004, 03:16 PM
Noooo, I didn't carve the setting. I am still waiting to get the courage up enough to get that far. Right now it is mostly a rather large gem collection and I only just started with the settings a month or so ago. Eventually I want to get good enough to put them on my website, that is IF I can figure out how to do my website, LOL but that a whole other issue!

Thanks again!
Tams :D

McDuck
08-28-2004, 11:10 PM
Tam those are great. And Yes I have ordered from jamingems and they are AWSOME to buy from. Stand behind their products and you can phone them and talk to someone in plain English. beats email all to heck if you hae questions.

-mary

Beads-Me!
08-29-2004, 12:17 AM
Tams - those are beautiful! I love the amethyst in particular...........

beclectic
08-29-2004, 07:20 AM
Tam, welcome to wearable art.

Your rings are wonderful. Gemstones are the ultimate pretties. I love your amethyst ring and I would probably also love the sapphire and amethyst but I really can't see it because it is so small. Your pictures can be a maximum of 500 x 600 pixels and everyone in this forum loves pictures that show detail so the bigger the better on wearable art. :)

BTW, Fire Mountain Gems (http://www.firemountaingems.com/) also has settings but I think the places the others have pointed you to have better prices. I'm pretty sure the link is OK but the site seems to be down right now.