PDA

View Full Version : Best thread for seed beading?

Patricia'sglass
08-27-2004, 02:03 AM
Hi all,
I have been working on a catapillar watch and have had some trouble with the thread breaking. I used kevlar which I cannot break with my hands. But it seems to weaken when worked. I know nylon is very strong but the size I have is hard to use with seed beads. I wonder if it comes ina smaller size. Does anyone have any suggestions? What thread do you like best? Thanks
PAttym

dogmaw
08-27-2004, 08:01 AM
Are you tying knots in kevlar? It can cut itself, which is one of it's main drawbacks.

Jo

beclectic
08-27-2004, 08:14 AM
Many of us use Nymo D but it might be too thick if you are doing many passthroughs. Nymo comes in many sizes of which D is the largest. Pam uses fireline for her seed bead work.

I never use kevlar because I can't figure out how to end it without tying knots.

Gingerbiscuit
08-27-2004, 09:50 AM
Nymo D should be fine. I use it when I have many passes through size 11 seed beads. You can also buy silamide, which comes ready waxed. There is also Conso, which I haven't used, but have heard mixed reports about. Fireline is also good. Available at your LBS, but much much cheaper from the fishing section at Walmart. It comes in different weights - 6lb test is equivalent to Nymo D. Nymo is also available in different thicknesses, the higher the letter the thicker. Apart from "O" and "OO" which are very fine. If D is too thick, try B. F is quite thick and it's hard to thread a beading needle with it.

I also like to buy bonded nylon, in size "80" - you would get this somewhere like a wholesaler to the fashion industry. This is equivalent to nymo D. You can find some great colours at good prices!

Also, check out Joann's for a thread by (I think) Coats and Clarke (or something like that).

Nymo D on a bobbin is slightly thinner than that on a cone. The cone is twisted, the bobbin isn't.

What size beads are you using? You can make a few passes with nymo D through size 15's.

hth. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions. :)

TheBlueBetween
08-27-2004, 11:04 AM
I've heard that about kevlar - that it cuts itself.

I use Fireline fishing line for seed bead work - I can't say enough good stuff about it - get the grey so it basicly disappears right in to most of your work (as apposed to the green or orange). Size 6 or 8 lb test. It doesn't stretch, it doesn't break, it won't rot, it won't fade in sunlight, it's easy to knot. It's made out of recycled milk cartons (good for the environment). It's super strong so you can really tug on it to get good tension when tension is important...

You can get it at walmart or your local fishing supply place.

Gingerbiscuit
08-27-2004, 11:10 AM
It's made out of recycled milk cartons (good for the environment).

I didn't know that! Thanks Pam! I haven't tried the 8lb test. I'll get some next time I visit your shores. My shopping list (apart from beads!) always consists of things from Walmart, Home Depot, Office Max etc! heehee! :D

Patricia'sglass
08-27-2004, 08:37 PM
Thanks guys! I think I will get some size D nymo and some fireline and try both. For a catapillar (sp?) bracelet you don't pass back through more than once or twice. The smallest bead is a size 11 so I think either will work great. I can't stand the thought that I will make something and it fall apart later. Thanks for all the replys.
Pattym