PDA

View Full Version : Paper colour

Dea
08-26-2004, 11:22 PM
Hi everyone,
Here is a picture I want to paint (at some stage when I get time). It's off my calander and I have been looking at it for the last month wondering what the most effective paper colour would be? I love the light and I would like to recreate it as best I can, so I was thinking a dark colour would be good but after that I'm lost.
By the way there is actually more of the picture but that is all that would fit in the scanner. :D
Can anyone out there help me?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2004/40985-horses.jpg

CarlyHardy
08-26-2004, 11:30 PM
Hi Dea,
If you choose Wallis as your support, I'd recommend an underpainting. I do my underpainting by laying down broad swatches of a hard pastel - then washing it with denatured alcohol. I like a soft brush, although some prefer a stiffer brush. I simply liquify the pastels and allow them to dry which only takes a couple of minutes, then I'm ready to paint with softer pastels.

If I chose a Canson color, it would be somewhere in the range of the sienna colors on the horse. That way, the bright specks which show thru would unify the painting.

I don't encourage my students to work from calendar images because they are copyrighted by the photographer.

carly

K Taylor-Green
08-27-2004, 12:01 AM
Carly's right about copyright images. If you are going to paint it for the experience, that is ok. But you can't show it or sell it as your own.
It is a beautiful picture. If you have your heart set on painting one like it, choose something from our own image library, or go out with your camera and take photos of horses. Of course, now is not a good time to get foal photos, but the image library has a lot.

prestonsega
08-27-2004, 03:26 AM
Since the topic is paper, I am trying to learn to work Canson. There seems to be no consus as to whether to use colored paper, or allowing the color paper to show through in the painting. I personally like it. I feel its one thing that gives the pastel work its integrity......as for wallis, I have had folks respond that a fininshed work looks like an oil painting, as if to say that pastel is an inferior medium. I understand that this comment was intended as a compliment, but if I was going for the look of an oil painting, I would be an oil painter. Also, I find the forgiving nature of Wallis to have one down fall.
When painting on a paticular element in the painting and I get it"right" I will inevitably go back in and destroy the work,,,,with Canson, once I have achieved the desired effect, I avoid at all cost to rework it.

Dea...I in now way intended to comandeer your thread, please forgive me. But having said all of the above, I would like to see the ref pic painted on Canson oyster colored paper and let some of the paper work with the gray horse.......I like the oyster color because you can work your darks and lights simultaneously. If you choose Canson, remeber to start out with a light touch and build the pigments incrementally.

Dea
08-28-2004, 02:41 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, I realize I couldn't sell it as my own picture if I get around to painting it at all, (might change my mind yet), it would only be for the practice. I don't have acess to Wallis paper, I have Colourfix or Canson, I don't think there is anything wrong with Canson, it is what it is and if that's what you want then it is good.