PDA

View Full Version : Mornig Shine 2

Tom Christopher
08-26-2004, 08:40 PM
Hello artists..This painting I just completed, is from the same area along the Iowa River as a previous painting.. I had much more vegetation to contend this time. The first painting was done in early spring and the creek bed was dry. Thank you for commenting.. Tom

Dyin
08-26-2004, 08:45 PM
Oh Tom...this is a wonderful color explosion! I just love watching you grow. One question..is the stream flowing downhill? The white highlights give that impression...also what is the white rectangular shape upper left??? I really like the glow in this piece...almost an oil glaze effect...just lovely!

Tom Christopher
08-26-2004, 09:07 PM
Oh One question..is the stream flowing downhill? The white highlights give that impression...also what is the white rectangular shape upper left???

Thank you Dyin for viewing and commenting. The "White Shape" is supposed to be a rock formation and the sun is shinning directly on it . I see in the post it doesn't show it very well. Yes, the water flows down a narrow ravine from the top of the picture and empties into the Iowa river below. Tom

tampster1
08-26-2004, 09:31 PM
I love the way this just pops off the page.. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2004/28465-thumbs_up.gif
Tammy

CarlyHardy
08-26-2004, 11:35 PM
Excellent transition from the brightly lit distance to the cool dense shadows along the river bank. If the water is flowing downhill, then you may want to add just a touch more movement and foam where it cascades into the river.

I think this would be an excellent illustration for a book. It really sets a mood.
carly

SweetBabyJ
08-26-2004, 11:40 PM
Wow! LOTS of colour!! I really like the distance in light- nice view!

K Taylor-Green
08-27-2004, 12:06 AM
LOVE the color in this. Tom, you just get better and better.

prestonsega
08-27-2004, 02:59 AM
Nor being a landscape painter,, I feel unqualified to comment except that upon opening the thread it has a very powerful visual appeal. It is hard for me to give an unbiased opinion because my favorite color combination is the complimentary scheme of blue / orange that you have chosen for the foreground. (the cerulean blue in particular)

Looks like I did share an opinion after all :D ..

Did you paint on location or in your studio, or combination of both. I couldn't imagine getting all that detail in while on location.

Tom Christopher
08-27-2004, 06:46 AM
....is hard for me to give an unbiased opinion because my favorite color combination is the complimentary scheme of blue / orange that you have chosen for the foreground. (the cerulean blue in particular)
....Did you paint on location or in your studio, or combination of both. I couldn't imagine getting all that detail in while on location.

Hello Preston, Thank you for commenting. In response to the choice of color for the foreground.. It was the result of me experimenting w/different combinations. I was really looking for something unusual. Lately, I have been interested in painting landscapes focussing on the shaded areas and trying to depict details that are hidden in the dark. This time of the year the shadows seem darker and more intense This painting was done entirely in the studio taken from several photos of the area. Tom

judwal
08-27-2004, 10:57 AM
I love the compositon..and the colors just glow. Well done! :clap:

Pinecone Conniff
08-27-2004, 03:02 PM
I really like the ethereal look this painting has & the daring use of color!...the bright sunlit area is a great contrast. :cool:
Are you using Wallis paper? What size is this?...
Annette

Tom Christopher
08-27-2004, 04:15 PM
:
Are you using Wallis paper? What size is this?...
Annette

Hello Annette, this is on Wallis paper 2ox24 inches.. I received a large roll of Wallis a couple of weeks ago. I'm still experimenting with it. ..So far, It seems to withstand my aggresssive technique without falling apart. ..thank you for commenting, Tom

DGrau
08-27-2004, 05:01 PM
This has a very nice feel to it. Perhaps it is only because I can see it better in this particular painting but it appears to me that this has somewhat looser strokes to it than normal..very nice look to them.
Another well done painting
Best
david

nancymae
08-27-2004, 05:32 PM
WOW!!!! The color, composition, technique...all wonderful! I can't say anything that hasn't already been said...except WOW!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

This painting glows!

Nancy