PDA

View Full Version : My Old Stomping Grounds

SweetBabyJ
08-26-2004, 04:53 PM
Before life said "You're an adult now- act like one" and I did stuff like get married and have far too many children, on a day like today, I would be here- Garden of the Gods, outside Colorado Springs, Colorado. I spent a lot of time here, wandering, climbing rocks, drowsing, dreaming. It's an area at the foot of the eastern face of the Rockies, just north of the base of Pike's Peak, and a puffing uphill hike from Manitou Springs, and it's absolutely awesome, literally. HUGE red rocks- HUGE- neck-craning huge; narrow, most of them, like the Earth's incisors- and they ride the shape of the foothills there. Once considered a holy place, it was, of course, absorbed by the Dept of Interior and made into a Park, and now thousands of people visit daily and hack away at these rocks. There's one formation called "Kissing Camels" (the second from left formation in this painting) which, when seen directly from either side looked just like its name at the top: Two camels, knelt down nose to nose. Unfortunately, so many rock climbers have driven pitons and pick axes into them, they now resemble small nodules of rock- which is what they are- but still... it's hard to see them gone now.

Anyway, this is the sight which can be seen from- oh- just west of the interstate as it runs through CSprings; it's from back inside the park, northwest of the "gate"; and, if I were REALLY there, I'd be about a mile and a half further west, still, where the giant formations have lain down eons ago, and now form cliffs and crannies. I'd be there, right at the base of the mountains- it was one of my favorite places.

About 45 minutes, mix of softs on Wallis (and yeah- it's a *eeeek!* landscape- don't ask me how I did it- I just went on automatic pilot... tried to catch where I wanted to be, I guess)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2004/9169-1hrGofG.jpg

Thanks for looking

CarlyHardy
08-26-2004, 05:04 PM
:clap: It most definitely is a "landscape" :clap:

and I love the intensity of the color. Really gives the rock formations more substance. The deep purple color behind the red gives a great sense of distance.

You can't say that you don't do landscapes any longer :)
carly

dexonsbabe
08-26-2004, 05:07 PM
lovely Julie :D

Dark_Shades
08-26-2004, 05:37 PM
you go girl!! :clap: ..... just do what you wanna do and not what you think you should..... produces work like this ...... great stuff SBJ ...... love those rocks...... now if only I could let go as I did in portraits and you have here, I too could possibly do landscapes :D

well done.... you are breaking down those boundaries

Dyin
08-26-2004, 06:44 PM
Well, looky there...a landscape by our Julie! I think you know now that you love high chroma and high contrast...just use it on everything and you'll have a winner every time :clap: !

(ps, Julie...toitle update) :D

SweetBabyJ
08-26-2004, 07:04 PM
shhhh Carly! This is not a bane of my existence landscape- this is a memory on paper. See the difference? No? Me neither- but I swear it wasn't like other landscapes I've attempted- those put me in knots.

Thanks Lori- as anyone here can tell you, I suck at landscapes usually- so it's nice to have one which at least resembles something found here on this planet.

lol Dawn- no way you're suckering me into that- you're the artist who can make purple and orange look green- I don't wanna hear it. I dunno if the time constraint helped, but it may have- I just chose a bunch of colours and went for it.

ummm "high" chroma and "high" contrast may have something to do with it, Sue, seeing as how when I hung out here, I was usually, ummmm, well, "in a John Denver state". "Wow! Look at the colours!!" :D What can I say? "If you remember the 60's and early 70's, you weren't there" I was very definately there.

(PS: ooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! Enigma!!)

I fiddled a bit more- dunno if it makes a difference or not:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2004/9169-1hrGofGul.jpg

khourianya
08-26-2004, 07:30 PM
I loved the first one....and didn't think you would touch it again...but I love love love the second! simply awesome and I wish I was there!

Dyin
08-26-2004, 07:45 PM
uh...gonna play devil's advocate here...the second has more detail and depth but the sheer color simplicity of the first (and yeah, know it's not simple colors...but comes across that way) is the wowzer to me. You must learn to tie your hands behind your back after a certain point, girl...isn't there some stupid saying about KIS??? (keep it simple) You're leaning towards realism in the second version..the first is fresh and it says everything to me that being in the place would say...it's all about impact, not details. Go for that impact..it sings to me.

SweetBabyJ
08-26-2004, 08:26 PM
ummm- the actual fiddling was mostly in PSP, Sue- I gave it a bit more blue coverage around the rock formations, and put in that slanty patch by the focal point rock- just to make the land slant UP there, and toned down the red/blue shadow-y parts, but otherwise, it's just a different pic- taken OUTSIDE this time (it quit rainin') and messed about with it in PSP trying to get the colours to match. See, in real, that sky is BLUE- deep blue up top- not medium blue-to-turquoise- and the rocks are more orangey- almost a peach- but for some reason, no matter what setting I'm using, it comes out too high a chroma all through it. So I messed with levels all over the place. I'll hafta get the camera book out again and see if I can bump sats down a half step, but I think it's on a normal setting right now. I hate cameras.

Thanks, Cori- I like it "in real" a whole lot better than in either pic. See? lol

Dyin
08-26-2004, 08:34 PM
I like the blue/red shadowy parts...but know what you mean...real life is a whole nuther story from the digi pics. The digis lose the nuances and class similar colors as one. I don't have a cheapie either, but they have higher meg ones now days and maybe they're better. Point is that this came across as impact and color differences or no, that's what the painting is about. :)

SweetBabyJ
08-26-2004, 09:59 PM
Yeah- I used one red- and it's one I made- leans to orange, and is- hmmmm- dirty. So it's beyond me why it's appearing as "red"- should be dark orange. If I fiddle enough in PSP to get that colour right, the blue is all washed out, the clouds white blobs, and the green stuff just "dark". You should see the clouds in real, Sue- they look like they're *right there*....

Dyin
08-26-2004, 10:02 PM
wish I could, sigh :(

Pinecone Conniff
08-27-2004, 03:13 PM
Good to see you doing the landscape thing again that you are supposed to be so bad at :D ...This piece has a wonderful use of color & I love the shape & commanding look of the rock formations!!...
Annette

DGrau
08-27-2004, 04:55 PM
Sweet.. this brings back such a lovely memory. It is absoulutely gorgeous and awesume there. You did good!! :)
david

SweetBabyJ
08-28-2004, 12:05 PM
Thanks, Annette, I like it pretty well.

David, sounds like you've seen the place- and glad to hear it brings good memories. I can remember photogrpahs of certain spots in this place that stunned folks with the sheer size and height of these rocks- and other spots that were so calmly peaceful you though a hammock should be strung up close-by....

Khadres
09-11-2004, 04:10 PM
Dunno how I missed this one, but I did! Very cool rendition of the Garden! As a matter of fact, the Dept. of Interior had nothing to do with this piece of real estate, tho. This belonged to one of the town biggies way back in time...might've been Penrose, but don't quote me on that...and when he died he donated the entire parcel as a park in perpetuity to the city with one stipulation...that the city NEVER sell it for development and NEVER charge a fee to visitors! Believe me, the city still grits its teeth over that one! :D

I don't know if you've been back since the old trading post and all that mess was done away with and restored to nature, but the new visitor's center across the road from the park is fabulous with all the modern facilities, etc. The only problem is the number of visitors, especially in tourist season...it's almost impossible to pull off anywhere and shoot a pic...especially from this angle! But the new paved walkways are great and allow for long or short walks throughout the scenery. My favorite time of day here is early morning, when the shadows are deep indigo and the flights of birds are stark white shapes against the rocks...with that impossible blue sky, of course!

Nice job on this!

meowmeow
09-11-2004, 04:49 PM
Yummy! You certainly can do landscapes...or is this really a still life with trees, rocks and sky? :D Beautiful job lady! You win some and lose some...but mostly you seem to win! Good for you!
And yeah...them cameras...love 'em and hate 'em!

Sandy