PDA

View Full Version : DEEP BREATH...Newbie florals!

MegannsMom
08-26-2004, 02:28 PM
Ok, all...keeping in mind that I have only been torching for about two and a half months and have yet to take a class, what do you think of my encased florals? I see all the trouble spots.... :rolleyes: But honestly don't think they are too bad for a beginner. Geez, it's dumb how nerve-racking it is to show these to you guys! :o :rolleyes:
~Cindy
P.S. Hope I finally figured out how to attatch the pic...I will apologize in advance, just in case...

CharleneN
08-26-2004, 02:30 PM
Cindy,
Sorry no pic to see. :(

MegannsMom
08-26-2004, 02:33 PM
Cindy,
Sorry no pic to see. :(

Try again; I tried to edit it for a better pic...but had to go with what I had. Thought my file could be 500 by 600?
~Cindy

!Karen
08-26-2004, 02:37 PM
I fiddled with your pic a bit, hope I did it OK - they were too smushed up before.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2004/33050-4WC.JPG

Extremely well done too!!

:)Karen

MegannsMom
08-26-2004, 02:40 PM
YESSSS! THANK YOU!! How did you do that? What size should I be using?
~Cindy

!Karen
08-26-2004, 02:50 PM
YESSSS! THANK YOU!! How did you do that? What size should I be using?
~Cindy

Sizing depends on the type of picture.

On your first pic, you made it too long, so I just reduced the height to 250 pixels. You wanted long and short :)

You don't need to resize the pic to whatever the pixil limit is for WC, that will distort sometimes, like this time :D

I have Constrained Proportions checked when I resize, it keeps the original proportions in check when you adjust. I use Adobe Photoshop.

:)Karen

CharleneN
08-26-2004, 03:05 PM
Wow! You did GREAT. :clap: :clap: :clap: I've been havin such a hard time gettin em right.

LifeisGood
08-26-2004, 03:25 PM
Cindy!!!!!!! Lookin good girl! Now I'm going to your website right NOW to see if you've got some for sale........ :)
You better or else!

LifeisGood
08-26-2004, 03:27 PM
Tisk, tisk, none there---40 lashes for you!
The florals are great, you have a real future in beadmaking :clap:

Crowe
08-26-2004, 05:51 PM
Cindy,

Nice job! The flowers are really pretty!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Listenup
08-26-2004, 06:23 PM
Cindy, great job. 3 years ago when I first tried florals, my son thought I had made an aquarium bead - that's how bad I was (of course, aqua as the base glass, lots of green vines and 2 small orange flowers probably wan't the best choie in colors). I haven't tried any since, but I was able to sit in last week with a nice gentleman who showed me how he made them and I think I know where I went South (was working way too hot) so I'll give them another go when I get a chance to get back to the torch.

-Kay
Who really appreciates and envy's anyone who can make a floral bead that actually looks like a floral bead.

Norma623
08-26-2004, 06:35 PM
GREAT JOB! Those florals are really nice - I'm always distorting mine...your's are really nice - congrats!!

MegannsMom
08-26-2004, 08:11 PM
Thanks to all for your nice replies! I was really nervous about posting them. :rolleyes: I REALLY love to make the florals and see improvement with each one I make. At least they are something that I love to PPP on! A question: What is a good size to make the florals? I don't want to be making them too big! These are 13mm to 16mm.

Ana....heeheehee! Sorry there is no bead eye candy on the site (yet) If you check E-Bay, you will see that I have three sets of Orphans up! And people are actually bidding on them! :clap: It's a start!

~Cindy

JayneM
08-26-2004, 08:46 PM
Those florals are great. You are doing very well with so little time on the torch. Pat yourself repeatedly on the back. How are you doing with the raku frit. I finally have an order coming, and it should be on my doorstep tomorrow. I am a totally floral challenged person and usually end up with little globs of glass with cute centers......Will have to work on them this winter. :wave:

Geneva
08-26-2004, 09:51 PM
GREAT BEADS!!!! One day I'll get the nerve to put mine up.
Geneva

Backyard Beads
08-26-2004, 10:39 PM
Bravo! I don't see any scrambled eggs, or bubbles for that matter!

dgg112
08-26-2004, 10:42 PM
Thanks to all for your nice replies! I was really nervous about posting them. :rolleyes: I REALLY love to make the florals and see improvement with each one I make. At least they are something that I love to PPP on! A question: What is a good size to make the florals? I don't want to be making them too big! These are 13mm to 16mm.

Ana....heeheehee! Sorry there is no bead eye candy on the site (yet) If you check E-Bay, you will see that I have three sets of Orphans up! And people are actually bidding on them! :clap: It's a start!

~Cindy

woooooooooooooohooo Cindy you go girl these are fantastic!!!! :clap:
so what is your ebay seller id so we can peak at your others??? :wink2:

Becky Mason
08-26-2004, 11:26 PM
Cindy,

OUTSTANDING. :clap: :clap: :clap: It took me a year before I was making florals this good, and I did take a beginner class. You have great things in your future.

Becky

MegannsMom
08-27-2004, 12:04 AM
woooooooooooooohooo Cindy you go girl these are fantastic!!!! :clap:
so what is your ebay seller id so we can peak at your others??? :wink2:

Thanks...blush blush blush! My seller ID is fantasybeading....I also NOW have some on our Website, (So THERE, Ana! :p :D ) (link below) not priced yet as I have NO CLUE. :confused: (HELP?) Feel free to look if you choose and critique as you see fit. They are just poor little Orphans....my DH puts them together cause he can't stand to see them piling up around the house! I am now starting actual SETS. :rolleyes:
~Cindy

collectiblesbyrose
08-27-2004, 12:12 AM
Gosh, they look great! Perfect shape beads! I'm jealous!

loco
08-27-2004, 12:22 AM
Wonderful florals! I have yet to even tey them but, flowers were ruined by my EX. :wink2:

Thank God someone fixed the picture. I thought I was on drugs there for a second until I realized I have never in my life taken any.

Bubbyanne
08-27-2004, 01:14 AM
Wow Cindy,
Great job!
:envy: :envy: :envy:
Florals are the one thing I have worked on consistantly since I started lampworking 3+ months ago and I'm improving but yours surpass mine by far. Thanks for sharing!
Barb

Moth
08-27-2004, 06:16 AM
Wow!! Cindy those are awesome. Hundreds of times better than mine were at 3 months. LOL

You did a great job not smearing the base under the encasing. Looks like you have a real handle on the heat control, which is the most important part if you ask me. (I know you didn't ask me, but I tells ya anyways.) ;)

As far as sizes go, I don't know what is right, but yours are much smaller than mine. If you are worrying about making them too big, I need to do some serious downsizing. LOL

Mine average 22x18. I can make them smaller, but I LIKE them bigger. :evil:

Bravo!
~~Mary

MegannsMom
08-27-2004, 08:24 AM
Wow!! Cindy those are awesome. Hundreds of times better than mine were at 3 months. LOL

You did a great job not smearing the base under the encasing. Looks like you have a real handle on the heat control, which is the most important part if you ask me. (I know you didn't ask me, but I tells ya anyways.) ;)

As far as sizes go, I don't know what is right, but yours are much smaller than mine. If you are worrying about making them too big, I need to do some serious downsizing. LOL

Mine average 22x18. I can make them smaller, but I LIKE them bigger. :evil:

Bravo!
~~Mary

TEE-HEE! Thanks, Mary! I have really been working on them! It took me about 10 cracked florals to get the hang of the heat control thing...I was letting them get too cool! Only smear one now and then. I would like to make them bigger, (but hey, SIZE doesn't matter, right?! :wink2: ) but don't have a bead door in my kiln. :crying: so I use the fiber blanket and batch anneal. I have made them as small as 6mm! They were cute! How many layers of glass do you use? If you count adding petals as layers, I usually use 7. (core-clear-goldstone-clear-petals-petals-clear) I would like to add vines as well, but can't seem to get the hang of it! Any suggestions from you or others would be MORE than welcome!
~Cindy

msritaa
08-27-2004, 10:05 AM
Cindy, the florals are beautiful and you give me hope. I have been torching for 3 weeks now and have tried the encased florals a few times, but my petals drift apart or look dead and lifeless. This is one of the hardest things I ever tried to learn. Thanks for showing off your beauties.

Moth
08-27-2004, 09:02 PM
TEE-HEE! Thanks, Mary! I have really been working on them! It took me about 10 cracked florals to get the hang of the heat control thing...I was letting them get too cool! Only smear one now and then. I would like to make them bigger, (but hey, SIZE doesn't matter, right?! :wink2: ) but don't have a bead door in my kiln. :crying: so I use the fiber blanket and batch anneal. I have made them as small as 6mm! They were cute! How many layers of glass do you use? If you count adding petals as layers, I usually use 7. (core-clear-goldstone-clear-petals-petals-clear) I would like to add vines as well, but can't seem to get the hang of it! Any suggestions from you or others would be MORE than welcome!
~Cindy

Hi Cindy!

7 sounds about right, give or take a layer here or there.

core, dichro, clear, vines, petals, petals, clear=7
core,goldstone,clear,petals,petals,clear=6
core,foil,dichro,clear,leaves,leaves,clear,petals,petals,clear=9

I just use striped stringer for vines and either swirl it on in random graceful patterns, or tighter more formal spirals. I don't usually put a layer of clear between the flower petals and the vines as it add a lot more girth to the bead for not a lot of pay-off.

~~Mary

Libby L.
08-28-2004, 09:13 AM
Nice job Cindy. Those are yummy.

The Libster aka Libby