PDA

View Full Version : Aug 26, 2004 SHOW & TELL

McDuck
08-26-2004, 01:24 PM
Just emptied my kiln and this is part of what I found!
some flower pendants, A hole slew of links and new different ones too. some need to be touched up and fired again. Some fairy pendants, the red flower was a commission, and some new shells. the purple shell needs MOP.

Now show me yours!
Mary

Oskadis
08-26-2004, 01:41 PM
Woah! You been busy :)

Beautiful connectors - love the deep pink (red?) ones best. But the rest are nonetheless simply beautiful as are your shells.

Hmm those fairies ... somewhere I have seen those shapes :wink2:

Andee
08-26-2004, 02:34 PM
Mary - wow, you have been busy! I love everything! Especially the shells and the roses and the blue flower link and... and... yep, I love everything! :clap:

Nothing from me today *shock*! ;) I DID make a ring, but it's so incredibly ugly that I won't show it...

Have a nice evening, everybody!

McDuck
08-26-2004, 02:53 PM
Thank You Karen and Andee!

karen- yeah those fairies, now ....lol

Andee - havent you learned what you think is ugly we like??? come on please show us!

Mary

Andee
08-26-2004, 03:54 PM
Andee - havent you learned what you think is ugly we like??? come on please show us!

Okay, since you ask to see it... May I introduce Ugly McPurple? (And believe me, I tried hard to show its best side on the pic! ;) )

TheBlueBetween
08-26-2004, 03:56 PM
Hi Andee, I'm sure someone will think it's great! It's not my favorite of your jewelry collection though ;)

Nice beadies Mary - are those blue and aqua ones buttons??? (Thinking bracelet clasps here....)

Nothing yet from me... I just got back from helping the preschool move... in the rain...

MadameKali
08-26-2004, 04:41 PM
Hiya guys!

Mary, I dig the sarcophagus and faerie beadies, and I dug the orange one you posted yesterday--me being the orange fiend I am ;)

Oh Andee, it's not UGLY--it's not my type, but I don't think it has different elements to truly be ugly. Add some bad wire wrap and some cheap beads, then it'll be ugly ;)

Didn't anybody else make anything today? I know I didn't.. was too tired! *sleepy yawn* But I have tons of cool books waiting to inspire me at the library--so I guess I need to get moving!!

earthenwood
08-26-2004, 04:44 PM
Great stuff everyone!

Mary, I just bought and molded the same button as you (the aqua and blue ones with the butterflies!) LOL! As much as I say I want to make less of the buttony guys, I still keep hoarding and molding those cool buttons!

Here are two new faces that I am making as buttons, cabs, and pendants. I just finished scanning them all for my new catalog card insert

Barrie
08-26-2004, 04:55 PM
Wow!! Love the ceramics, you two! They're gorgeous! Melanie, the new faces are so cool!! Mary, loving the new links, beads and all!! Andee, what's wrong with this one? It will find it's owner, I'm sure of that. Great workmanship, does that count? :)

Nothing from me, I'm just gawking at what you all post! :)

McDuck
08-26-2004, 05:16 PM
Andee - I told you we would like it! my daughter loves purple, if it is a size 11 she would wear it in a heart beat!

Thank you guys too!

Melanie - too funny on the button. lol I dont like the mold I made for it so back to the drawing board. It doesnt get the full likeness of the button.

Pam yes and some will be made into clasps!

Barrie treat your eyes, it seems to be a short show and tell!

mary

McDuck
08-26-2004, 05:27 PM
One more to add to the show and tell. A glass ceramic pendant flat fits nicely in the palm of your hand. more of Val's frit on top. No cracking on the other one. I think I might have this down now. LOL

Mary

CarolinaGal
08-26-2004, 07:13 PM
Okay, usually I just lurk and look at all the cool jewelry, but Mary I have to tell you I love this dark bead with the "frit" in the yellow greens. It really reminds me of a dark stone with lichen growing on it - you almost expect it to glow in the dark.

So how big is "fits comfortably in the palm of your hand"?

Georgia
(an old friend of Sassybird who use to do beading back in the 70s)

McDuck
08-26-2004, 07:17 PM
:wave: Welcome Georgie! I am sooooooo glad you delurked and any friend of Charissa's is a friend of mine. :wave: I believe off the top of my head it is 2" in diameter. And yes, I had been trying to figure out what it reminded me of since it came out of the kiln, but lichens is it! I have two ro three more in there right now. Have to wait until later to see what they look like.

Mary

dogmaw
08-26-2004, 09:17 PM
Andee,

I don't usually like rings, but for some reason that one just grabs me! It isn't ugly, it is cute like a bulldog.

Jo

McDuck
08-26-2004, 10:33 PM
Melanie- I forgot to add i really like your new faces! Verynice!! I actually might have one soon. Depends on what soon is. LOL My schedule is not allowing me to make a mold of it! imagine that :rolleyes:
Mary

lizo
08-26-2004, 11:35 PM
Great ceramics!

Well, I used my new kiln for the first time to fire this PMC3 (I thought that it was PMC+, but it's not!).

The donut came out with this white matte gunk all over it. Yuck!! I stuck it in some cold water with liver of sulfer right away. Man, it really looked ugly after that!

Then I started to polish with some very fine steel wool. That's when the silver and shine came out!!

I like it alright- there are some things that I would change about it. But, let me tell you, I used almost a whole 16 gram package of PMC3 to make this. Ouch!! :crying: That's expensive. It's hollow- I formed it over some cork clay.

I'm making some earrings to match. Nothing hollow for that!

Liz

McDuck
08-27-2004, 12:09 AM
Hey Liz, I told you it would look better fired :clap: ! When it comes out all white gunky looking, just take your wire brush or fine wool and polish it up or put it in the tumbler with shot, water and dawn. come out looking brand new! Cant wait to see th earrings too. Great job!
Mary

Queen Bee
08-27-2004, 12:33 AM
With all the fabulous things that I have seen I have second thoughts about posted to this thread. Great work Ladies! :clap:

These are polymer clay.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Aug-2004/48307-PCHeartSlider.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Aug-2004/48307-PCHeartNecklaceSet2.jpg

sassybird
08-27-2004, 01:29 AM
Mary you can throw that Egyptian looking bead in my box:D I also like the fairies. You have been busy. I can't wait to see what kind of goodies I get:)

Queen, I love your hearts. Did you glaze them or what?

McDuck
08-27-2004, 01:31 AM
Deborah, those are lovely! I didnt know polymer could look so sparkly!

charissa, my dear, you havent a clue what will be in that box of yours...dont faint when you get it!

mary...waiting for the kiln to cool...but I can hear mybed calling me...

Andee
08-27-2004, 04:16 AM
I'm stunned, you guys - nobody thinks this ring is ugly? You know I make my stuff basically for myself, and *I* really dislike it... And no Barry, it's not even good workmanship, I'm afraid - I melted two of the fence-tips while soldering the bottom... I thought I would like this fence-thingy, but I don't so much, at least not in this style... Oh well, I have a friend who goes nuts over everything purple, maybe she takes a liking in it...

Mary - lichen it is, absolutely! :) I doubt the ring is a size 11 (I have no idea how big that is, tho - is it the diameter?), as I made it to fit my fingers, and as much as I would like them to be long and thin - they're not! ;)

Deborah - that set is lovely!

McDuck
08-27-2004, 06:25 AM
I'm stunned, you guys - nobody thinks this ring is ugly?

Mary - lichen it is, absolutely! :) I doubt the ring is a size 11 (I have no idea how big that is, tho - is it the diameter?), as I made it to fit my fingers, and as much as I would like them to be long and thin - they're not! ;)

Deborah - that set is lovely!

Andee - see I told you NOT UGLY! okay ?? *bats eyelashes*

Ummma size 11 is quite large as my daughter has quite large bones! Maybe someone can chime in and give her a dimension I am off to shower.

-Mary

LLane
08-27-2004, 07:48 AM
Deborah,
I love your hearts and the unique way you have used them.... no reason to hide that beauty!!!!

Peace,
Lois

Queen Bee
08-27-2004, 08:11 AM
Thank you for all the kind comments.

Charissa-Yes I glazed these hearts with Sculpy glaze. Too lazy and impatient to polish.

Mary-It is amazing what can be done with pc. In this case, I used a glitter pc and did not use it as an inclusion.

Liz-Can't wait to see the earrings to go with the donut.

Mary-All your S&T pieces are great. I am partial to the fairies. I have a small collection of fairies on my mantle.

Andee-There will always be someone who likes what you do not. I like the ring but could not wear it my fingers are too small to wear a stone that large.

Melanie-I love the molded faces.They make me smile.

dockhl
08-27-2004, 11:05 AM
Liz

When PMC comes out of the kiln, the molecules of silver are not aligned to appear shiny. When you brush it with your steel or brass brush, it aligns them and gives you a satin finish. If you throw it in the tumbler, itwill get shinier but you might still have white in the crevasses if you haven't brushed/burnished it.

And don't forget, the smoother it is in the dry state before you fire it, the smoother and shinier it will be when it comes out of the kiln. It will look just like what goes in.......only in SILVER which is much harder to finish ! You will be much happier with your results if you spend time cleaning up your design before firing.

Good luck !

Kathy