PDA

View Full Version : "Old Man" in Pastel final

ealtonwynn
08-23-2004, 02:22 PM
I cross posted this in Portraiture. Decided to do the "Old Man" in Pastel and just got started. If I remember to take more pictures, make that if I don't get all carried away and remember to before I get finished, I thought I would make tis a WIP. I got started on light grey Strathmore using Nu Pastel and a wee bit of rembrandt. Will finish out with softer grades and I work dark to light. I don't know why i keep using the lighter papers. I really do prefer the darker shades. Makes mid tones easier for these old eyes to see. Any and all C & C's welcome. (even truly harsh ones if anyone is so enclined) Peace!

SweetBabyJ
08-23-2004, 02:26 PM
Heya Elton- nice to see a WIP from you. I've alerted a mod to move this to the studio, though, as we don't wanna get pastel dust all over the lobby here- stuff tracks all over the place!

Looks kinda like Rembrandt Meets Santa Claus- I'm going to keep my eye on this- you do solid work.

Khadres
08-23-2004, 02:48 PM
Nice to see the laying in process on this. Looks good so far to me! I'll be waiting to see the final.

khourianya
08-24-2004, 12:11 AM
Wow! Just look at the character in this fellow! You can almost see a story in his face! ican't wait to see how it ends! :D :clap:

ealtonwynn
08-24-2004, 05:17 AM
Tough night. Been working top left to bottom right. Took some areas to almost final. ( Now please excuse me while I screm I HATE STRATHMORE PAPER FOR PASTEL!!!) My first piece using strathmore. Well for Pastel anyway. I love it for charcoal but, and I knew this---sheesh, it just loads up too quick once you switch to soft pastel. Well, I'll let y'all see how it's going even if the next picture of it is in the garbage. Peace!!

soap
08-24-2004, 05:42 AM
ooh.......nice old character.........I have based one of my faces on this bloke as well........:D :D
Looking good!

Never used that paper - so cannot comment. Another lesson learned I suppose....

ealtonwynn
08-26-2004, 03:08 AM
Well, here he is. I ran out of paper before I got where I wanted to go. It was starting to get "muddy" in the darks so I decided to stop, put it on the learning pile and be better for the learning. Been making my liveing this way for 11 years now and while sometimes it's been "chicken" and other times "feathers" it has never been dull. Thanks for letting me share. Peace!

Dyin
08-26-2004, 10:09 AM
darn shame you ran out of tooth...there's a really nice strong line to this...get yourself some Wallis! :D

Dark_Shades
08-26-2004, 12:15 PM
well good for you for making a living.... be it chicken or feathers lol ..... this turned out great....... love the style, colours too..... cant help but think of Father Christmas seeing men with White Beards and moustaches

ExpressiveAngie
08-26-2004, 02:12 PM
I responded in portraiture that I like him as is, lots of expression, what more do you want for goodness sake, :D

SweetBabyJ
08-26-2004, 02:46 PM
Elton he is just what I expected- merry and whimsical; so sorry you lost tooth to the paper- have you tried Wallis?

CarlyHardy
08-26-2004, 05:12 PM
Ealton,
For continuity sake and for those who would love to see the WIP for your painting, I have merged your final with the WIP posted earlier.

(For info of everyone, keeping your images which pertain to a single painting in one thread also saves a great deal of space for WetCanvas! Thanks!)

carly

ealtonwynn
08-26-2004, 10:20 PM
Carly, thank you for doing that. I wasn't sure how do do so and still keep the images together. To one and all thanks fo ryour comments. I have never tried Wallis but I will. I have been a Canson fan for years and just recently bought Strathmore of Charcoal and Pencil drawings. I have learned my lesson on that score. Thanks Again!!