PDA

View Full Version : technical?

Jon Roark
08-25-2004, 10:28 PM
These are some illustrations I did when I was in school. Painted with watercolor and gouache on blueprint paper they were for an assignment to produce an advertising piece for the school. This was for a section I was proposing for gaining technical skill. I found these last night in my basement and thought I'd show them. There are 6 in total.

Jon Roark
08-25-2004, 10:29 PM
two more...

Jon Roark
08-25-2004, 10:30 PM
the last two.

Kathryn Wilson
08-25-2004, 10:49 PM
Hi Jon! Very nicely done - I like the shadows you have under each instrument, it really sets them down on the paper.

Are you hiding any more little goodies - :D

AFM159
08-26-2004, 12:12 PM
Hey nice work! Thanks for shareing! I particularly like the reflections in the ink bottle.

Hope you stay around and join in!

Jon Roark
08-26-2004, 12:39 PM
Kyle, I do have other things but I just haven't had time to go through it all. This was found while looking for someone else and I decided to scan it because the paper (old blueprint paper) is deteriorating. One thing I neglected to mention is these were painted from life. I used a No. 9 Echt Kolinsky Rotmarder brush (the one in the image is a No. 6) which I got when I was a photo retoucher right out of college. I used to retouch with a brush for various magazines my company printed. (Vogue, Glamour, Avon, Penthouse, Playboy, National Geographic, Seventeen, etc.) We used these brushes which were imported from Germany. They were made using the tip of the tail of a Red Marter and the hairs came from the old Soviet Union. Very expensive brushes (a No. 9 was $75 in 1976 as I recall).

Meldy
08-26-2004, 02:46 PM
Very very very very very nice work! I love how you used simple graphite for the shadows.

Axl
08-27-2004, 11:21 AM
I just love the brush and the exacto knife! These are very very nicely done indeed. Were they all part of one large piece? Or a series?

Jon Roark
08-27-2004, 01:11 PM
One side of the piece I designed reflected technical skill, what I consider the underpinning for everything else, the other side was very loose, and free and more reflective of the philosophical idea of art, exploring the world in essence. The idea was if you gain the basics, the technical side, then you can do anything you want. That is my own artistic philosophy, so i simply adapted it to this piecs. To show the technical skills gained, I used these objects, sort of as examples of things used by every artist at one time or another and painted them from life as photorealistically as I could. They were painted, one after the other on a long, not very tall sheet of paper with the word "Illustration" beneath them in a font I designed to look like an architectural blueprint drawing. I loved this side, hated the other. I'm too control-conscious to ever let abstract or modern into my system. With going to school to learn how to draw the figure as my goal, abstraction would be subverting that goal and a sign of failure to me, so i was never able to loosen up enough to make the other side anything worth seeing.