PDA

View Full Version : New to pastels - WIP after Waterhouse

eponaluna
08-25-2004, 02:16 PM
I'm really an oil painter and have very little experience with pastels. I broke out a chocolate pastel pencil and a white stick to do this last night though. It is a copy of a chalk study for Lady Clare by Waterhouse. I know the likeness isn't exact, but I had fun with the medium. Does anyone have any pointers or tips?
Thanks,
Cara

Dyin
08-25-2004, 06:47 PM
Hi Cara...everyone here is off to Expo in Santa Fe so even though my medium is the oil side of pastels I thought I'd come comment :) You did a lovely job for being so limited on medium. You have a nice start on tone and nice directional strokes, I think you might like pastels and if you want to explore a little further you could try a starter set of Rembrandts, they're not expensive and will give you an idea of how good pastels work. There's a classroom sticky for soft pastels at the top of the threads, and also more in the library soft pastel index. This is usually a good forum for feedback so hope you'll think about continuing. Usually a 3/4 pose is hard to do and you did an excellent job with the alignment, you might want to soften the hard edge against the hair a little, but other than that I think you've done a wonderful job for a first time try.

Dark_Shades
08-25-2004, 07:00 PM
Well lol, not quite everyone is away :)
..... I always think this sort of limited palette has great effect and appeal, especially with portraits, it also has a soft colour which works well to .... well done, ..... you have got a nice tone on the face giving it shape.... the only suggestion I might have is to check the eye on viewers right, I know its at an angle, but seems a bit small and dark.....
its looking good, and has a lovely feel, so hope you will progress with this one

.... well done

K Taylor-Green
08-25-2004, 10:47 PM
Yeah, I'm stuck at home, too.
You have a lot of good advice from Sue and Dawn, and after the weekend, you'll get tons of feedback.
Great start on this. Looking forward to more.

CarlyHardy
08-25-2004, 11:15 PM
Hey! I'm here too!! but I'm the last person to give advice on portraits. Dawn and Sue are much better than I with the tips. Just one thing....check the width of the neck, even with the turn, it seems a bit thick.

The library contains a ton of info about soft and oil pastels so make yourself at home in there.....just don't get lost!

Hope you'll enjoy this forum as much as we do,
carly

eponaluna
09-03-2004, 01:05 PM
Well, she went shooting off in a different direction because I can more easily market fantasy stuff, but here is the finished product. I think I'm going to try something in color now.
Cara

Meldy
09-03-2004, 01:28 PM
Great Job! I have just recently bought my first serious soft pastels.. the same Rembrandts that Sue suggested.. only I got the half sticks so that I could see how I liked them. So far they have been delightful.

Here is my 2 cents (and it is only two cents so you don't have to take em :wink2: ) The white at the top is very distracting to me. Could it perhaps be softened? Also and I am no expert on fantasy art, only a big fan of it, but the way her wings are positioned it feels to me that the top base of them are coming out of her neck.. maybe if they were angled more towards her shoulder blades? These are only two things I noticed.. I personally think you did a GREAT JOB!!! I can't wait to see your colored piece. :)

We are glad to have you here!

Dyin
09-03-2004, 02:53 PM
I like this! Agree with Meldy on those couple of points but this has a nice feel and could easily be a paperback cover on a fantasy book. Look forward to the color!
Meldy...I started with 1/2 sticks too...in fact those are the only softies I still own...and use them once in awhile on a study :)

Meldy
09-03-2004, 03:29 PM
They are pretty nice pastels! A friend of mine has some that she bought YEARS ago by the same brand and she said they had some hard spots.. but maybe they have improved cause I havn't had that problem yet. :)

Oh yeah I forgot to mention (sometimes I have inner dialogue that I forget to express) that I LOVE her hair.

eponaluna
09-03-2004, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the critiques everyone. I can see where you are coming from on the wings, but my thought was to frame her face with them. So I brought them up more like large butterfly wings. Here is kind of how I was imagining the whole wings would look (only more symetrical, lol, I'm not good at doing things digitally):

khourianya
09-04-2004, 01:07 PM
I really love the direction you took with this. It has a very mystical feel to it and would look comfortably at home amongst other fantasy art. Did you cross post it over ont he Fantasy art forum to see what they might have to say?

Khadres
09-04-2004, 07:24 PM
The fairy concept really works with her face...she has a very ethereal, other-worldly look! Nice work!