PDA

View Full Version : Professional Illustration Paint Markers? Where?

dd50
08-25-2004, 12:50 PM
Hiya folks!

I'm looking for professional quality paint markers that will do well on canvas, watercolor paper, bristol vellum and other surfaces. I don't need them to be oil ... acrylics would be good, or a type of watercolor ... as long as they don't streak while you're filling a large area.

I've tried several: Painters - UNI Paint - DecoColor - Artwin: out of all of them, I like the Painters and Artwin the best ... but with the Painters, you have to keep pushing down and shaking to get it to keep flowing evenly, and even then they tend to streak with a large area. The thing I like about Painters is that you can paint white over black, yellow over blue, etc.

The Artwin is more absorbent, and more like a watercolor in effect ... they don't streak because they absorb into the canvas .. I actually like these best ... but I've only found them in a very small tip. You also can't paint colors over other colors with these.

All in all, I haven't really found anything that will not streak when filling large areas ... doesn't run out quickly ... and doesn't STINK the whole house up and give me a headache! LOL!!

Actually, the Artwin don't smell at all.

Any suggestions ... ???

Thanks a bunch!
Dee

AFM159
08-25-2004, 01:25 PM
Hi Dee! :wave: Thanks for stopping by the Illustration Forum.

I use markers all the time, though not the pigmented ones youre talking about. To my knowledge there really isn't any thing else you can do.

All of them run out quickly and most do have a rather foul oder. If you are doing a lot of this you will have to keep several of each color on hand so you don't run out in the middle of a project. I usually keep 3 or 4 each of my most used colors and average around 200 - 300 total in my collection at any one time.

I assume when you talk about streaking you mean how each stroke layed down on a support is visible with markers. In other words they don't blend well. I think the nature of the medium is such that you can't. Markers are a linear medium, they make lines, trying to hide that is difficult at best and not worth the effort, IMO.

What I have done is adapt my style to those constraints. I try and celebrate the individual lines, make them a part of the image.

There are two things that I can think of though that you might try. Again I assume you are trying to fill in a large area with a single flat blended color?

One - you could switch supports. An extremely absorbant support, like rice paper, would allow you to bleed the color over large areas. But you would suffer trying to make detail marks then.

Two - take the marker apart and use the felt inside to make broad strokes. Messy and expensive as this would destroy the marker. Although you're talking about pigmented paint markers and I'm not sure they have a felt in them.

Oh - one other thing - I have seen some markers that you are supposed to be able to fill with your own mediums but the nibs are not that large.

ok so now I'm up to four things you can try ...... as I said before you could try adapting your style to the marker....perhaps with crosshatching.

Hope this helps.

Can you show us a pic of what you are trying to do? And I have to ask why are you trying to do this on canvas? That's one of the last places I would think to use markers. Not that thats wrong at all, you've just made me curious is all.

designbyjen
08-25-2004, 10:01 PM
that's a tough one & i'm not an art supply groupie, but i'm think'in you may have 2 think outside of the box for this dilemma.
think of things like those sponge dishwashing wands that hold soap in the handle? do they make sqeeze bottles w/ those kid-painting kinda foam sponges on them? no doubt a fun exploration in shopping & looking at things beyond their intended purpose--one of my favorite past-times!
if you must paint in this manner...i'm sure you will find a way to avoid the streak issue by trial & error w/ choice of paint & also w/ how you choose to prep whatever it is you want to paint on. hey...don't rule out leaving some soap in the foam wand...i've painted successfully w/ watercolor + soap on a slick mat-medium surface!
hope you find the pot @ the end of the rainbow...
~~~jen