PDA

View Full Version : A little something to do with clay dishes

McDuck
08-25-2004, 10:21 AM
Hello to all my friends in the Glass Forumn! I really havent had much time to get over to the glass forum since the Wearables takes up what little time I do have for WC.

These are red clay dishes that fit underneath flower pots. I added my own glazes some frit, murrini, and ta-da! I just love the black one. Now I have neat little bowls. I might have to take them to the next show as display dishes or sales items.

Mary...errrr...McDuck

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Aug-2004/18183-reddishes1.jpg

Close up ( yes these are Val's frits! A gift from my buddy in crime Lona!)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Aug-2004/18183-blackglassdisplay.jpg

dasi11
08-25-2004, 10:30 AM
They are wonderful.

Did you try the hot/ cold stress test? I am just wondering how compatible the clay is with the glaze and glass? Water is also another test.
I have tried this in the past only to find them seperate and crackle.

!Karen
08-25-2004, 10:34 AM
Those are very cool! I love clay pots!

:)Karen

McDuck
08-25-2004, 10:35 AM
Thank you!

The orange and white one has a few cracks in it. So far the black one does not. I will chunk it around a bit to see what happens, but I thought they were cool. And actually potters have been doing this for a large number of years.

-Mary

llglassdesigns
08-25-2004, 11:33 AM
Mary,

I really like those. Using the flower pot trays is a great idea. I know nothing about ceramics. How hot do you have to fire those?
Deb

gizzaz
08-25-2004, 11:48 AM
Fabulous! What a great idea. I'm heading down to my ceramic kiln today and play. Thanks for the idea...
Lorraine

FiredDesires
08-25-2004, 12:36 PM
Mary.....pretty and such a clever idea. My concern would be the safety aspect of people using these to hold foods. The glass & clay....how are each rated, individually and combined, for lead/metals content? Until I knew for sure, I'd attach a sign to them "not for use with food products", which might soften any case, for product liability.

McDuck
08-25-2004, 02:20 PM
I fired these at cone 06 about 1856F. I might go up to cone 04 next time with the frit to see what happens.

lorraine - have fun!

Catharine - yes, i will post on them not for food!

-Mary

Linnea
08-25-2004, 03:27 PM
Mary those rock,,, I have a potter friend and she and I have talked about "working" together on projects just like this one. cool beans,, when I get some free time :wink2: I will be trying this out for myself.