PDA

View Full Version : Show and Tell Wednesday 8/25

Beads-Me!
08-25-2004, 12:22 AM
I haven't had much time lately to join in on S&T so before I head to bed I thought I'd start the thread today and post a picture of the bracelet I have in the Chinese Auction over in Glass Art. I made a single strand bracelet for a customer at the gallery that wanted a bumpy bead bracelet and liked it so much I needed to make another one with elements on it...... Now to make one more for me!! ;)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Aug-2004/14950-111111111111111WCChineseAuction.jpg

sassybird
08-25-2004, 12:42 AM
Those bumpies are becoming very popular. I like this one. Looks like it was fun to put together:)

Now will someone please tell me where to find this Chinese Auction?

Juls
08-25-2004, 12:55 AM
What a fun and sassy bracelet, Nancy!

Here's a beaded cabochon bracelet from me...I get in a "tailored sleek" mindsight once in a while. Had to throw in a touch of funk with the leaves at the clasp though. ;)

hugs~
~Juls

"Lady Arwen"~

Oskadis
08-25-2004, 05:05 AM
Interesting work this morning :)

Here my little contribution. Finished it today.

Another elven headdress for the upcoming RingCon.
All in silver ox with white givre bell flower beads, crystal AB czech beads and drops. Lightweight alu chains and jingly bead accents at the tips of the front chains.

beclectic
08-25-2004, 07:32 AM
Charissa - Here is the link to the Chinese Auction (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208277). It is already up to 582 posts and growing by pages every few hours. Its a lot of fun.

Nancy's number was picked last night so she could post her gift here because it has already been seen in the Chinese Auction #2 thread. It is likely to get stolen several times before the whole thing is over. I may steal it myself, I'm considering it because it is so fun and playful.

Lady Arwen - That bracelet is absolutly stunning. What are those cabs made of? I love the whimsey of the leaves near the clasp.

Nancy - Down below where we enter our posts there is a 'Topic Review' list showing the posts in the thread being posted to. In the 'Topic Review' list your picture shows up but the other pictures in the thread don't. How did you post your picture that made it show up in the 'Topic Review' list?

Karen - You are going to be a real hit at the con with all this elven wear. I really like this one, so lyrical. Is it possible to get a clearer close-up of the bead groups in the front and back? I'd love to see more of the detail there.

I'm hoping that someone will pick my gift number today at the Chinese Auction #2 so I can post what I made here in the Show & Tell. I'm dying to get everyone's opinion. (OK, maybe not really dying but I want to post it soon.) ;)

Oskadis
08-25-2004, 07:42 AM
Karen - You are going to be a real hit at the con with all this elven wear. I really like this one, so lyrical. Is it possible to get a clearer close-up of the bead groups in the front and back? I'd love to see more of the detail there.

OK... I have some detailed pics, which I add. Hope you like them :)

McDuck
08-25-2004, 08:28 AM
Nancy - Looks like a FUN bracelet! I can see why you want one too!

Karen - you just make the most beautiful head dresses. I love the detail work on this one.

Juls - OOOh i wanna learn to do that one too! Very pretty!

As for me, nuttin yet, have to go peek in my kiln!

Mary

Beads-Me!
08-25-2004, 08:39 AM
Nancy - Down below where we enter our posts there is a 'Topic Review' list showing the posts in the thread being posted to. In the 'Topic Review' list your picture shows up but the other pictures in the thread don't. How did you post your picture that made it show up in the 'Topic Review' list?

Instead of posting my picture through the manage attachments option in the reply box I use the Image Uploader in the Quick Links section in the second blue bar right under my "Welcome, Beads-Me!"..... I learned that trick from Shirley after the last format change here on WC!......

Awesome bracelet Juls! And Karen - you're defintely going to be styling.... :)

McDuck
08-25-2004, 09:10 AM
Finally some things to show off!

A green flat flower pendant.

Orange bracelet cab. It actually has wires on the back to fit on the large rubber and sterlig bracelets I have. This one needs more glaze to be better defined.

Then the Rose tri link for rosaries, and two new ones.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Aug-2004/18183-links8252004WC.jpg

Now these are what I wanted to try and I think they turned out great! :clap: They are just pot bottoms made of red clay with glaze and glass. I love the black one!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Aug-2004/18183-reddishes1.jpg

Close up!! :clap:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Aug-2004/18183-blackglassdisplay.jpg

-Mary

beclectic
08-25-2004, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the close ups Karen. Those are beautiful.

Nancy, I'll have to start using the image uploader. Having the image in the 'Thread Review' is a big bonus.

Mary - Those bracelet cabs minus the loop on the back or sides would be great in bracelets of the type that Juls showed today. I like those bowls. I didn't quit understand what you meant about glass in them though. The rosery link is so nice. I've been planning a rosery using rose quartz.

McDuck
08-25-2004, 09:26 AM
Oh thank you Barbara. The glass is frit or murrini melted in. I used some of my Lona gifted frit (Val's frit in the black one) I am now addicted to something new! eep :eek:

-Mary

Juls
08-25-2004, 09:42 AM
Barbara, Thank you. The cabs are resin mosaic tiles.

Karen, I love the headdress. Elvin anything is after my own heart!!

Mary, here's a link that might help with the cabs! (its a simple tutorial I did last year for my beady group)

Beading a Cab (http://groups.msn.com/TheArtofBeads/project105beadingacab.msnw)

hugs~
~Juls

Andee
08-25-2004, 10:11 AM
Nancy - that is one cheerful bright funny bracelet! I love it!

Juls - that piece is adorable! Wow!! How long did it take you?

Karen - your headpiece looks great! I always wonder, tho, how long those chains will actually stay on top of the hair... If I tried wearing something like that it would all be tangled up in no time, I bet! ;)

Mary - some new beauties! I absolutely dig the blue flowery link, so cute!!

Here's my work from today: a ring with a turquoise (quite small compared to my other rings) and a pair of earrings with - can you guess? ;) - freshwater pearls. I formed and stamped the discs myself - they aren't perfect, but I'm quite happy with them as it was my first try.

McDuck
08-25-2004, 10:19 AM
Thanks Juls! I already looked over the site and joined! Now I just need time...

Andee great work! I loe those disks!

-Mary

Juls
08-25-2004, 10:22 AM
Mary, I saw that..the applications come straight to my inbox. :D (welcome by the way!)

And as for time, if you find a surplus, please send some my way! I get around online when I can..but 24 hours in a day is just *not* enough!

hugs~
~Juls

Gingerbiscuit
08-25-2004, 10:24 AM
What lovely goodies today! I really like the black one too Mary. Just yummy! ;)

TheBlueBetween
08-25-2004, 11:07 AM
OH Juls that is FABULOUS!!!! I need to learn how to do that with cabs... do you have a backing on it or is it just contained by beads????

There is an article in the latest beadwork magazine that has something a little similar but they use (little scarab beatle) beads in the middle - yours looks much more polished - theirs is a little ruffly.

Nancy your bracelet is awesome! It was a big hit at the CA and it's on my steal list!

Karen - nice work as usual - you sure are busy!

Andee - great earrings! Makes me want to call rio and order my saw.

Again, nothing from me. I've started lots and dropped them all as they aren't turning out right. Slump :(

Andee
08-25-2004, 11:44 AM
Pam - shame about your creative slump! I sure hope you'll overcome it soon, I'm looking forward to seeing new beauties from you! :) Just to clarify matters - I didn't cut out the discs, I bought them as flat plain discs, I just stamped the dots and hammered them into form and drilled the holes...

Oh well, and then I thought - why stop at earrings? So here's the matching necklace... (And atm I'm thinking about a matching ring, tho I don't think I'll continue the disc-theme there...)

TheBlueBetween
08-25-2004, 11:46 AM
Pam - shame about your creative slump! I sure hope you'll overcome it soon, I'm looking forward to seeing new beauties from you! :) Just to clarify matters - I didn't cut out the discs, I bought them as flat plain discs, I just stamped the dots and hammered them into form and drilled the holes...

Oh well, and then I thought - why stop at earrings? So here's the matching necklace... (And atm I'm thinking about a matching ring, tho I don't think I'll continue the disc-theme there...)

Beautiful!!!

And can I ask, what do you use to drill the holes? Thanks!

Andee
08-25-2004, 11:52 AM
Pam - ta! :) I have a Dremel-sort-of-tool which I use for all kinds of things around my jewellry-making, especially for drilling and polishing...

Juls
08-25-2004, 11:56 AM
OH Juls that is FABULOUS!!!! I need to learn how to do that with cabs... do you have a backing on it or is it just contained by beads????

There is an article in the latest beadwork magazine that has something a little similar but they use (little scarab beatle) beads in the middle - yours looks much more polished - theirs is a little ruffly.

Again, nothing from me. I've started lots and dropped them all as they aren't turning out right. Slump :(

Pam, Thank you. They are just contained by beads, so that both top and bottom appear the same. here's a link to a tutorial that helped a few of my beady sisters, you might find it helpful also!

Bead a Cab Tutorial (http://groups.msn.com/TheArtofBeads/project105beadingacab.msnw)

As for a slump, STOP THAT! Your work is incredibly beautiful, and if there isn't at least ONE thing laying around that you find inspiring, PM me your address! I hoard cabs like noone's business, I'd be happy to drop you a set in the mail to make a bracelet!

hugs~
~Juls

TheBlueBetween
08-25-2004, 11:56 AM
Pam - ta! :) I have a Dremel-sort-of-tool which I use for all kinds of things around my jewellry-making, especially for drilling and polishing...

Can I tell you a secret? I'm afraid of power tools! I never realized it until I took my beginning metalsmith class. I would like to do it all by hand. I must have been murdered by a powertool in a past life or something!

dockhl
08-25-2004, 12:02 PM
Hi everyone~
Beautiful work !

I usually post over in Glass but had something that I thought I'd share here..........

a Fall leaf necklace, made with italian glass, etched....and some little Murano glass beads from Via Murano.....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Aug-2004/21909-leaf_necklace.jpg

and a few pendants, wire wrapped by my husband, glass made by me (both boro and Italian)...........
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Aug-2004/21909-boro_pendant.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Aug-2004/21909-turquoise_pendant.jpg

Have a great day !

Kathy

TheBlueBetween
08-25-2004, 12:02 PM
Pam, Thank you. They are just contained by beads, so that both top and bottom appear the same. here's a link to a tutorial that helped a few of my beady sisters, you might find it helpful also!

Bead a Cab Tutorial (http://groups.msn.com/TheArtofBeads/project105beadingacab.msnw)

As for a slump, STOP THAT! Your work is incredibly beautiful, and if there isn't at least ONE thing laying around that you find inspiring, PM me your address! I hoard cabs like noone's business, I'd be happy to drop you a set in the mail to make a bracelet!

hugs~
~Juls

Thank you Juls! I am going to give this a try! I would LOVE to see what you have for cabs - I bet you have a great collection. I'm coveting the ones in your bracelet for sure! But I think i have a couple left over from when I was trying to make a ring in my class - maybe one of those will work. Or should I start out larger?

Andee
08-25-2004, 12:06 PM
Pam - hm, that could be a bit of a problem. Hang on... In one of my jewelry-making books was this pic of a handworked (?) drill. The book was written in the US, so maybe you can find something like that over there?

Kathy - yummy pieces, especially the pendants! And welcome here! :)

TheBlueBetween
08-25-2004, 12:09 PM
Pam - hm, that could be a bit of a problem. Hang on... In one of my jewelry-making books was this pic of a handworked (?) drill. The book was written in the US, so maybe you can find something like that over there?

Kathy - yummy pieces, especially the pendants! And welcome here! :)

No no, I'll get over it. I bought some drill bits recently... I'm going to try!

TheBlueBetween
08-25-2004, 12:11 PM
Kathy ! Thanks for posting over here too - we always love eye candy! I really like the leaves necklace - very yummy for fall!

Juls
08-25-2004, 12:12 PM
Pam,

The ones in that bracelet are mosaic tiles I found at Michaels. They come mixed with carnelian, jade, and a grey/black color.

I would definitely start bigger than a ring size stone.... :eek: For reference the ones in Lady Arwen are 25mm, and the one in the tutorial is 18x13mm.

Again, I'd be happy to send you some to play with, just let me know! Most of what I have are vintage glass and gemstone, but I can't pass up interesting resin, clay, ok..ALLL OF IT. lol

hugs
~Juls

**Kathy, we crossed posts...I LOVE the fall leaf necklace! Gorgeous beads and very nice finished presentation!!

beclectic
08-25-2004, 01:16 PM
Juls - I put up a request for the link to your tutorial to be added to the Tutorial section of our Jewelry Links thread.

Kathy - Love the leaves. So interesting how the colors graduate. About those pendents. I see where the wire goes in but I don't see it coming out. Did you make those pendents with a hole only part way through? Welcome to wearable art it is fun to see what you have been doing.

Andee - I really like the disc earrings and the necklace but especially the earrings. How did you bend them into that cone shape or did you buy them that way?

McDuck
08-25-2004, 01:23 PM
Andee - the necklace is as nice as the earrings!
Kathy - I love the leaves! Lots of colors and textures!!

*pinches Pam* and sniffles you forgot about me :crying:

-Mary

TheBlueBetween
08-25-2004, 01:32 PM
Andee - the necklace is as nice as the earrings!
Kathy - I love the leaves! Lots of colors and textures!!

*pinches Pam* and sniffles you forgot about me :crying:

-Mary

Oouch Mary!!! Crap - I'm sorry! I meant to ask you what you were going to do with the pot bottoms! I wouldn't want to cover them up with a plant! And I love your little blue bumpie thing - is it a link or a pendant? And I like the double holed one too - if it had a few more holes in the bottom it would be like Andee's pendant - that would be cool too! FYI: I just read yesterday how green was very popular with fashion and such... anything green is supposed to be a hit right now.

Hugs,
Pam

McDuck
08-25-2004, 02:09 PM
sorrybout that Pam. :eek: I dont know what I will do with them. I might add more black glaze to the outside and sides of the one and use it in my display. The other i might set out as ???? or sell it. It seems to be doing okay.

The blue bumpie is a pendant, I ran out of wire! hae to go get more whenI return from holiday.

Green is popular? that is a good thing! I like green too and now have 3 of those green links you liked before...with more on the way.

-Mary

Barrie
08-25-2004, 02:20 PM
Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!! Great eye candy everyone!! Wish I had some to show, but too busy trying to get caught up - maybe later this week!! Keep them coming you guys!!!

Andee
08-25-2004, 02:43 PM
Andee - I really like the disc earrings and the necklace but especially the earrings. How did you bend them into that cone shape or did you buy them that way?

Barbara - thanks! :) Nope, when I bought the discs they were just flat and plain. I used a form that has half-lentil-shaped-bowls cut into it and hammered the discs in these bowls. I hope that makes sense - sometimes it is difficult to come up with an explanation if you don't know the words... :wink2:

dockhl
08-25-2004, 02:56 PM
Thank you all for you kind words and welcome!

The leaf necklace is actually a little brighter than it shows. The red/orange is vibrant !

The pendants are made at the end of a 3/32 mandrel. The wire is then wrapped and inserted, glued with a 2 part epoxy (similar to what we do with our winestoppers).

Kathy

beclectic
08-25-2004, 03:04 PM
Barbara - thanks! :) Nope, when I bought the discs they were just flat and plain. I used a form that has half-lentil-shaped-bowls cut into it and hammered the discs in these bowls. I hope that makes sense - sometimes it is difficult to come up with an explanation if you don't know the words... :wink2:

That makes sense. Where does one get these forms? What material is the form made out of to be tough enough to hammer like that?

TurtleBay Jewelry
08-25-2004, 03:33 PM
Barbara:

Most forms that are used in metalsmithing can be done on basic wooden dapping blocks. They do make steel ones with more forms and choices, but they're quite a bit more costly as well. You can also use jewelers stakes and such or even something as simple as carving out the form you want in a stump (which works beautifully, let me tell you...) then hammer away with a planishing hammer or wooden mallet.

All the above not including the stump of course, can be found in the Rio catalogs or other such sources...i.e, Gesswein, etc.

Cheerio!

~Danielle

Andee
08-25-2004, 03:57 PM
Barbara - Danielle actually already explained it all! :) Mine is made of wood (not by me, I bought it that way) btw, as I found the steel ones WAY too expensive!

ringslingin
08-25-2004, 04:07 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Aug-2004/21909-turquoise_pendant.jpg

Have a great day !

Kathy

Cooool Stuff K! Haven't I seen that turq pendant somewhere before?!?

TheBlueBetween
08-25-2004, 08:49 PM
*pinches Pam*
-Mary

Hey Mary, I'm pinching you back! I have an idea for you - your plant pots made me think of it. I don't know if you have the same Precious Metal Clay book that I do - but one of them has a little bowl that was formed over an avacado - then enameled inside. Can you take clay and make a form over an avacado too? And then work your magic in side it? That would be pretty cool I think! I love the PMC one, but I'm sure if you could do it with clay it would be just as nice.

Running and ducking before I get another pinch - I'm still black and blue from the first one!

lizo
08-25-2004, 09:23 PM
Well, I have an unfinished piece made out of PMC+. I made a donut out of cork clay, and then put PMC+ around it.

Man, this picture makes it look really bad. We'll see how it turns out- it's my first PMC piece!!

Liz

McDuck
08-25-2004, 09:54 PM
Liz - Cant wait to see it finished. Dry they usually look like crap. dont know why!

mary

McDuck
08-25-2004, 09:59 PM
Hey Mary, I'm pinching you back! I have an idea for you - your plant pots made me think of it. I don't know if you have the same Precious Metal Clay book that I do - but one of them has a little bowl that was formed over an avacado - then enameled inside. Can you take clay and make a form over an avacado too? And then work your magic in side it? That would be pretty cool I think! I love the PMC one, but I'm sure if you could do it with clay it would be just as nice.

Running and ducking before I get another pinch - I'm still black and blue from the first one!

:eek: EEP! Wow i black and blue darn fast too :wink2: Hmm i will try that when i return from holiday next week as I dont have time now. i am glazing tonight...more perties tomorrow and tomorrow night and friday morning and maybe sat morning too.

Back to work, no rest for the wicked or silly...*hears whip crack in distance* (somewhere near Barrie). :D

:wave:
Mary the ever so busy...errrr...McDuck

TheBlueBetween
08-25-2004, 10:16 PM
Mary let me know if you don't have that book and I'll try to take a picture of the picture for you - I think it's Creative Metal Clay Jewelry by Cece Wire. GREAT book if you don't already have it.

Here is my only accomplishment for the day - thanks Juls - the tutorial works great! Now what am I going to do with this thing?

McDuck
08-25-2004, 10:22 PM
Oh Pam that is great! I cant wait to try..in some of that spare time I have set aside before i croak! Anyway, no Pam I do not have that book and appreciate the pick!

mary

Tammy J K
08-25-2004, 10:59 PM
You all have such nice things,I took pictures of my necklaces again i think there a little brighter,was'nt sure if anyone would like to see them again so i didnt put them on ,but i do have a ? for Mary,I see you make ceramic pieces.
I picked up some clay at a ceramic shop today when i was out of town hoping to make some pendants i have never done this before ,could you give me some tips.she said it was a low fired clay,i think 1400 or 1600.Do you glaze the backs sounded like it would be alot more work and what kind of metal do you use for the loops.She said after the clay dries she could fire them for me.This is something i have wanted to do for a while now i just could'nt find any one that would experament with me. Did i spell that right ?
Thanks for any input.

Tammy

Juls
08-25-2004, 11:26 PM
Pam,

That looks perfect! :clap: :clap: :clap:

and after seeing some of your work I have NO DOUBT you will find something wonderful to do with it!

They make great focals on a stitched bracelet...here's one I did last year to show ya what I mean...

TheBlueBetween
08-25-2004, 11:34 PM
Pam,

That looks perfect! :clap: :clap: :clap:

and after seeing some of your work I have NO DOUBT you will find something wonderful to do with it!

They make great focals on a stitched bracelet...here's one I did last year to show ya what I mean...

Thank you Juls - What a great stars and stripes bracelet! You have such wonderful work yourself - I checked out your site today and was very impressed!

I think I thought of something actually! I'm going to try to make a peyote bale and make it into a pendant for a necklace. Simple. Though it would be fun to do some freeform around it wouldn't it? I'm going to have to sleep on it ;)

Thanks again for the tutorial - I've been wanting to try this for a LONG time! And I'm afraid I am now going to have to hit michaels and see if they still have those tiles of yours.... I was hoping not to spend any more money for awhile. And of course I only have two colors of size 14 or 15 beads - blue and copper. So I will need more of those... it never ends, does it? LOL.

Sassyglassgal
08-25-2004, 11:38 PM
Wow everyone's jewelry is awesome :clap: This is a hard S&T to follow, but here i go, some lampwork beads, for a "Fall Montage"

McDuck
08-25-2004, 11:43 PM
You all have such nice things,I took pictures of my necklaces again i think there a little brighter,was'nt sure if anyone would like to see them again so i didnt put them on ,but i do have a ? for Mary,I see you make ceramic pieces.
I picked up some clay at a ceramic shop today when i was out of town hoping to make some pendants i have never done this before ,could you give me some tips.she said it was a low fired clay,i think 1400 or 1600.Do you glaze the backs sounded like it would be alot more work and what kind of metal do you use for the loops.She said after the clay dries she could fire them for me.This is something i have wanted to do for a while now i just could'nt find any one that would experament with me. Did i spell that right ?
Thanks for any input.

Tammy

Hello Tammy! I am more than happy to help you out. First sign up at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beads-of-clay/ and go through the archives. Then email me as pming me here is frustrating! [email protected] so i can send you more info. You can buy special high temp wire for loops. The back should be glazed and at least a slight whipe on it if you want to lay it on the kiln washed shelf. Oh just email me!

Mary

Juls
08-25-2004, 11:54 PM
I think I thought of something actually! I'm going to try to make a peyote bale and make it into a pendant for a necklace. Simple. Though it would be fun to do some freeform around it wouldn't it? I'm going to have to sleep on it ;)

Thanks again for the tutorial - I've been wanting to try this for a LONG time! And I'm afraid I am now going to have to hit michaels and see if they still have those tiles of yours.... I was hoping not to spend any more money for awhile. And of course I only have two colors of size 14 or 15 beads - blue and copper. So I will need more of those... it never ends, does it? LOL.

Truly a girl after my own heart! Life just wouldn't be complete without freeform!! I am really looking forward to seeing your completed necklace!

and no, it NEVER ends....I need one each of everything and then 10 more after that. :evil: No affiliation, but if you find yourself in a 15 shopping mood, check out www.ubeaditsacramento.com I haven't found anyone that can touch their prices on Japanese seeds. (except Turtle Island beads in Baraboo maybe)

As for the tiles, you will find them with the collage stuff at Michael's, not with the beads.

Debbie, Your Fall Montage is really lovely!!

Thanks for a great S&T today, yall!

hugs~
~Juls

Oskadis
08-26-2004, 03:27 AM

There are more sophisticated hand drills around - I guess silver is soft enough to use them. I found a seller on Ebay that sells them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13872&item=6115330406&rd=1

I bet there are more around but I usually go look for tools at this guy :)

Have a nice day.