PDA

View Full Version : Period pieces?

MadameKali
08-23-2004, 11:57 PM
Recently, I seem to have been watching a lot of period movies--tonight, we saw Troy, at the moment, I am watching Elizabeth ... earlier, The Man in the Iron Mask. I am quite sure there have been others lately. I find myself, my eyes, being drawn over and over again to the ornate jewelry and clothing, and I want to recapture those things in my own art. Has anybody else done research into period pieces? I am not even sure where to begin! Any sources you already have or know of would be wonderful--but don't go digging for me, please ;)

sassybird
08-24-2004, 12:26 AM
Susie, check with Ivyleaf. She and her husband both do Ren Faires and always wear traditional clothing to the period. She hand sews everything, and I am sure that she has some links to what you are looking for.

AlaskaBarb
08-24-2004, 04:57 AM
Recently, I seem to have been watching a lot of period movies--tonight, we saw Troy, at the moment, I am watching Elizabeth ... earlier, The Man in the Iron Mask. I am quite sure there have been others lately. I find myself, my eyes, being drawn over and over again to the ornate jewelry and clothing, and I want to recapture those things in my own art. Has anybody else done research into period pieces? I am not even sure where to begin! Any sources you already have or know of would be wonderful--but don't go digging for me, please ;)

Hi, MK!

Oh yeah. For years, I made costumes for ren faires, Scottish Club events, the Alaska Miners and Trappers Ball, Burns' Night, Klingon events and local theater productions.

A great series of historical reproductions taken directly from the originals was done by Janet Arnold. There were three in the Cut and Construction series -- one was Elizabethan/Stuart clothing; the two others were later -- 17th and 18th century and then a Victorian/Edwardian edition.

She also wrote a great book titled, "Queen Elizabeth's Wardrobe Unlock'd," which was printed by the Victoria and Albert Museum. Fabulous pics. Pricey, though, about 200.00. I gave it to myself for Christmas one year.

There are many historical costume books available. One of the most complete listings is in the AlterYears catalog. Pages and pages of books, patterns, supplies. I'm not sure what their address is, but they usually have an ad in the back of Threads magazine. Well worth the 5.00 price tag.

Janet Arnold's research (as described in her Cut and Construction series) led me on a personal quest that lasted about 8 years. I decided to visit the museums where the original clothing was housed. Probably the most interesting discovery was in the basement of the Pitti Palace in Florence, where I got to see Elenora of Toledo's burial dress, as well as that of her husband, Cosimo Medici, and her son Don Garza. Just fascinating. Also, it's worth a plane ticket just to wander the halls of the Victoria and Albert Museum in London. Seven miles of corridors. Rooms of Lace, emboidery, costumes, jewelry. Total sensory overload. If you can't get there, the next best thing is a book printed by the V&A entitled, 400 Years of Fashion, which highlights some of their collections.

Anyway, that's a start!

Pax,
Barb C.

AlaskaBarb
08-24-2004, 05:36 AM
Don't know if you're interested in the costumes or the jewelry as part of your art, so I apologize if my answer wasn't in the right vein.

There are quite a lot of interesting books on historical jewelry pieces, too. "Ancestral Jewels," is a really good one; the author is Diana Scarisbruck.

I'll post one of my costumes. This is a later design, 18th Century, for the Alaska Scottish Club's Robert Burns Night. Each year, we select a period from Burn's birth to the present for our oufits. I always take a mug shot to send my mom.

This dress was made from iridescent periwinkle silk with all-over French knots. The ivory silk under-dress is fairly well covered with ivory pearls (about every 1/4 inch) and lace.

Barb.

Oskadis
08-24-2004, 06:33 AM
Woo! Gorgeous dress - and pretty model :)

As to information sources:

I mostly thrive from German sources - and my ancient books (yeah I have some 1900 books on dressmaking/sewing and basic jewelry making).

After a quick peek at some sites in English I think these sites can get you started:

http://www.antiquingonline.com/Designers/
http://www.antiquingonline.com/designers.htm (good pics and some overview over period designers)
http://worldzone.net/art/glitzqueen/entry.html (damn slow but some nice pics)
http://www.jewelryexpert.com/ (nice gallery)

Hope I could help a little.

McDuck
08-24-2004, 08:26 AM
Barb- Just a beautiful elegant gown. I bet you were a stuner that night!
Please show us more!
-Mary

earthenwood
08-24-2004, 11:34 AM
For our wedding, we did a celtic style handfast of our own creation. This kind lady did an embroidered cloth tie for us. I love her site and all her creations:

www.verymerryseamstress.com

Enjoy!

MadameKali
08-24-2004, 04:04 PM
Barb, your answer was lovely--I already reserved a book you suggested at the library. And WOW!! Your dress is stunning! I want to do both clothing and jewelry (once I learn to sew)--but everyday wear, not costume wear. I kind of have this.. hybridization plan, to make old-fashioned modern wear. (I know, sounds confusing--heck, it even confuses me.)

Karen, my dear, thank you for the links. :) I am sure you have some great ones, I'll check them out in a bit. And thanks to Melanie and Charissa as well. I need all the help I can get, most of the time. :rolleyes: :D

AlaskaBarb
08-24-2004, 05:25 PM
Barb- Just a beautiful elegant gown. I bet you were a stuner that night!
Please show us more!
-Mary

Thanks for saying such nice things!

Mary, I could drown this whole forum with costume pics! Everything from the serious to the completely ridiculous.

Barb

but, err, you know, since you asked, let me look through my pics ;)

McDuck
08-24-2004, 05:30 PM
Well Barb, once you get to know me, you know I dont say nice things to blow smoke up your bumm. So please bring on the flood! I look forward to seeing them!!! My best friend is a director and costumer/set designer, but me? I cant sew very well at all, and do it slightly better than I draw stick people :rolleyes:

-Mary...errrr...McDuck

AlaskaBarb
08-24-2004, 05:41 PM
[QUOTE=MadameKali]Barb, your answer was lovely--I I kind of have this.. hybridization plan, to make old-fashioned modern wear. (I know, sounds confusing--heck, it even confuses me.)

No, it's not weird. There's a contingent of costumers up here who will dress up at the drop of a hat, whether it's a hybrid or full-out costume. For instance, we all dressed up to see the film version of "A midsummer Night's Dream," and -- well, just about any costume drama will get us inspired.

We started inventing venues for our clothes, rather than the other way around. Why wait for something to happen? Every quarter (three months or so), we try to have a themed tea. Edwardian, flapper, Jane Austen, you name it. Just for fun.

Life's too short not to have fun.

Barb

Kerensamere
08-24-2004, 10:26 PM
Barb, your work is wonderful! My DH does period costuming as well, his specialty is Elizabethan Rennaissance. We actually had a Ren. wedding, he made 9 out of the 12 costumes for the wedding party (have a few other friends that also do costuming), all were nobel in stature. He also LOVES those Janet Arnold books if they are the ones with the photos of clothing that was exhumed. The close up details are incredible. Steve also does wedding gowns, period, traditional and not so traditional.

One of the things that he has found to be most helpful is portraits. Go to the library and look in the fine art section, pull out books that have period portraits and see what the people are wearing. During many of the various rennaissances (english, italian, french, etc.) detailed paintings, especially portraits of the rich, became very popular, they are the equivallent of photos today. It's a great way to see what people were wearing then, clothing and jewelry.

We also buy just about every period movie that comes out, if it has good costumes in it. With DVD's today you can pause a scene and zoom in on a persons outfit or jewelry quite easily.

Also, look up Smoke and Fire news. It's a news letter and a catalog for reinactors, covers medieval, ren., American civil war, french indian war, american settlers, American revolutionary, and so on. The catalog includes books, patterns and also some completed costumes and accessories, even chatterlains. I think I saw the Queen Elizabeth's Wardrobe Unlocked for less than $200, I seem to recall pointing it out to Steve when we got the last catalog.

Somthing to remember about historical costumes and accessories. You can't prove that something didn't exist when it comes to history, you can really only prove that something did exist. Within reason of course. For example we know that in the Rennaissance era they hadn't figured out how to manufacture plastic. Steve is often accosted by people from a certain group of period reinactors, who will remain nameless here, that have been convinced by a small group of their members, who are unfortunately mis-informed, that buttons were not used to close things during the Rennaisance era. He made me a gown that has a bodice that buttons up the front with buttons and loops (not button holes), we have had people come up to us as faires and repremand us for the inaccuracy of the gown. However! Janet Arnold's book has photos of actual gowns and portraits of women wearing gowns of just such a design (it's were Steve got the inspiration to make the gown). Another costuming friend of ours has done research to prove the use of the button as a closure as well, she even found a button museum that supports this fact! Gotta luv it. I'll get off my soap box now.

Here's a pic from my wedding. Enjoy! Oh, if you need more suggestions for period films let me know! :-)

-Jen

AlaskaBarb
08-25-2004, 12:04 AM
Wow, what a great wedding pic! I'm jealous! I was married out in the Alaskan Bush on a moose hunt, so you can imagine how elegant that was! LOL

And I love a man who can sew! Huzzah!

-------

B

Kerensamere
08-25-2004, 01:19 AM
Wow, what a great wedding pic! I'm jealous! I was married out in the Alaskan Bush on a moose hunt, so you can imagine how elegant that was! LOL

And I love a man who can sew! Huzzah!

-------

B

He says the only reason he married me was that the dress fit! :D
Of course, I didn't see the dress 'til the morning of the wedding, I was blind folded for all the fittings, we kind of switched the old tradition of the groom not seeing the gown before the wedding since he was making it. ;) I actually have pics of me in the gown with a yellow bandana over my eyes in my wedding album! Needless to say we had a lot of fun doing this. I'll be sure to pass on your approval to him tonight. -Jen

beclectic
08-25-2004, 07:51 AM
Here is a link to a site that is nothing but links to Textiles & Fiber Arts sites.

http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/textiles.htm

Also search for SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) member sites. The SCA is all about period garb and arts. However, remember that these are independent researchers and like any historical information more than one source is required to get the true flavor of a period.

Look for jewelry collections in museums like this: http://www.getty.edu/art/collections/collection_types/w2032894-1.html

Ivyleaf
08-27-2004, 12:03 AM
Gosh, I'm sorry I'm here a bit late...

But I wanted to pop in and add, if you are interested in anything Renaissance, a wonderful place to look for information is on this site:

Sir Clisto's (http://www.sirclisto.com/clisto2.html )

He has links to a host of information that I think you will find most useful!

:) :) :)
Ivy

MadameKali
08-27-2004, 12:08 AM
Thanks everyone!! I certainly have tons to get me started!

Hiway
08-28-2004, 11:31 PM
Thanks everyone!! I certainly have tons to get me started!

And here is one more link for you: http://www.albionart.com/eng/index.html

It is fascinating to look at actual pieces from these periods.... this is an online museum with good photos and detailed info for some.

Jen...... what gorgeous reproductions, and what a beautiful bride! (Handsome groom too, of course).

And Barb.... your costumes amaze me.... more, please!!

Best from Claudia :)

MadameKali
08-31-2004, 08:56 AM
Claudia, that site rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you sooo much.

bdswagger
10-28-2004, 03:36 PM
Claudia, that site rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you sooo much.

Also online... I can't remember the web addys for these off hand, but a search should find them easily.

The Costumer's Manifesto-tons of all kinds of links, cloths, jewelry, embellishments of all kinds

Also a general search under SCA (Society For Creative Anachronism)

And a general search under time period/styles/regions for jewelry and clothes.

Leigh