PDA

View Full Version : WIP - After the Harvest

khourianya
08-23-2004, 09:46 PM
Ok, here is another work in progress for me (iI think I'm becoming a machine. I haven't wanted to paint this much in years). as always...c&c are welcome and appreciated.

i still have a load of work to do on this, including adding in the detail in the foreground and adding depth to the trees in the background...

9X12 on terracotta Mi-Tientes, assorted pastels

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Aug-2004/47843-cori_afterharvest.jpg

khourianya
08-23-2004, 11:34 PM
(Yikes - just saw how garish the colours on the first upload were...I must have had pastel dust in my eyes when I did that adjustment in PS..this one is far more accurate)

an update...I've been working on the detail on the right and am starting to like how it is turning out. I had originally doubted my choice of terracotta paper, but, for this, i think it is working.... any sugestions on how to fix up the ground would be most appreciated!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Aug-2004/47843-revised_afterharvest.jpg

Now...back to those trees...

PS: I'd also like to thank gfxwiz for the fabulous reference library image to work from... :cat:

dexonsbabe
08-24-2004, 04:58 AM
Looking good Cori............cant wait for next instalment. I normally use pastel pencils but have just started trying soft pastels and am really struggling with them........hope with practise it will sort of come together lol.........so seeing wip really helps me to see the way they are applied.

Thanks for showing this........right so where’s the next one :D

khourianya
08-24-2004, 09:58 AM
Thanks, Lori. I am hoping to get a chance to work on it some more tonight and I'll post another one later on...

I am really just starting out with soft pastels too...this is just my fourth painting with them...but I am so loving it! I used to work in just watercolours, but ended up in an almost 2 year creative drought. I have found that this change in medium has me inspired to paint again.

tampster1
08-24-2004, 11:49 AM
Off to a great start . looking forward to more..
Tammy

khourianya
08-24-2004, 07:27 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Aug-2004/47843-revised2_afterharvest.jpg

Okay....hate the sky. I think my cat knocked my easel over while I was at work. I came home to find this face down on the floor. Most of the colour in the sky was ruined, but the rest was fine. Mysteries... anyway, I tried to fix the sky and now I hate it..but i will keep playing with it and try to get it lookingmore like a sky with wispy clouds than a crayon scribble.

Am starting to get the foreground working nicely.... Please let me know if you see any way that I can improve this. Thanks.

Artistammy
08-24-2004, 07:31 PM
This is coming along nicely. Would you post the reference photo so we can see it? Thanks.

khourianya
08-24-2004, 07:42 PM
sure...here it is...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Aug-2004/47843-gfxwiz_13247barn003.jpg

I cropped it down becasue i liked the idea of the barn being right at the edge of the painting...

Khadres
08-24-2004, 08:27 PM
You're doin' good here, Cori, but I was baffled by the swatches running up the middle and I see that the reference pic is even MORE confusing! I see grass on the right, a narrow dirt road, looks like with wispy grass down the middle of that, then more grass, then a brown swath line another road or something to the left of THAT and then a sort of bank thingy casting a shadow, more grass and the fence! Whew! I think if it were me, I'll kinda take some artistic license and simplify life a little....widen what's supposed to be the dirt road a bid, define the strip of grass down the middle, and put all grass, weeds, etc. to the left of it while moving the fence over closer to the road. Does that make any sense? If it doesn't and I have time tonight, I'll try taking it into Photoshop and drawing a kinda diagram. I think the composition would be a bit improved that way, don't you?

You've got great colors goin' and I love the barn, so don't worry about any of that, it's just those bands of whatever it is running up the middle there that kinda detracts from all the other good stuff!

khourianya
08-24-2004, 09:39 PM
Thanks Sooz.

I took a bit of creative license and changed it a bit. The fence still needs a bit of work, but I like it in there...now if I can get some more dimension ito that fence and give a bit of life to that road - I think I'll be set!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Aug-2004/47843-revised3_afterharvest.jpg

paulb
08-25-2004, 02:12 AM
I like this because of the colours more that anything, but if I can stick an oar in, I'd like to see a bit more contrast, especailly in the back ground trees. A few darker leaves up at the top and some darker in-shadow reds at the bottom, right beside the wall of the barn.

I'm not great with perspective, but to me the bars on the fence look to parallel to each other - shouldn't they be moving closer to each other as the fence appraches the vanishing point? Not 100% sure on this one like I said - I'm sure someone else will correct me!

Looking forward to seeing the finished painting!

Paul.

dexonsbabe
08-25-2004, 04:21 AM
Hi Cori, like the improvements you have made and think Paul is right about the fence...........but other wise looking good........next instalment plz lol

joemajury
08-25-2004, 08:28 PM
Hi.
I like what you are painting, but IMHO it differs greatly from the original.
Is this intended?

In the original, you are standing at the bottom of the road, looking UP the road, so everything is above eyelevel.

In you painting, you would have to be standing on quite a tall object to get your point of perspective, as you appear to be looking down onto it.
Just a small point, but it changes the perspective completly.
Do you follow me?

Joe
;) ;)

joemajury
08-25-2004, 09:19 PM
I hope these will help to show what I mean

This is all to do with vanishing points, and focal points for your eyes, which all go off into the distance and meet, yours doesn't - but it's easily fixed.

Joe
;) ;)

khourianya
08-25-2004, 10:35 PM
I'm working fairly loosely from the photo..meaning I am just using it as inspiration and taking it wherever the pastel is guiding lol...I'm still playing with pastels as I learn different things about them, so i'm not too concerned if my painting comes out as an exact replica...

I do see what you're saying, though, joe. Thank you for taking the time to lay it out graphically for me. perspective has never been a strong suit of mine...likely because I have never really worked from a reference in any of my previous mediums (once I find my old scans of my watercolours and post them...you'll see what I mean). I am doing landscapes to get a feel of the pastels and see where they take me and my imagination in the long run :)

I am going to work on this piece a bit more tonight and see if I can get the perspective fixed up a bit. As long as the image the painting is portraying makes sense as a stand-alone image - that's all I care about really.

khourianya
08-25-2004, 11:42 PM
Okay - I did some work on the fence and have hopefully fixed a bit of the perspective problem with it.

I still need to do some work to the trees in the background, but I need more reds in my tray before I can touch them....they are on order from Curry's as we speak so I am just waiting for them to appear in my mailbox (that order should just about triple my colour availablility). For now I think I am happy enough to consider this one done...but I will add to those trees once I have the colours. I can't believe I even attempted this one with only one red in the tray! :eek:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Aug-2004/47843-revised4_afterharvest.jpg

paulb
08-28-2004, 07:51 PM
Joe pretty much said exactly what I meant but couldn't express with the perspective thing. And I like the way this coming along - much stronger and more 'composed.

P.

DGrau
08-28-2004, 09:46 PM
you came a long way with this :) hope you enjoy your new colors when they arrive
Best wishes
david

tampster1
08-29-2004, 04:57 PM
Great job on this piece. you got some excellant advice from Joe in regards to perspective. *thumbs up* There is only one question I have. Is the fence or the building supose to be your focal point. I think it is supose to be your building, but the fence is just so stark that it takes away from the barn. Tone down the fence add some highlights to the barn and you have a masterpiece. :D :clap: :D