PDA

View Full Version : Lovecraft Collection : First Batch !

somk
08-23-2004, 06:10 PM
I'm a proud and happy "mom" : Those are the first bronze and silver of my new Lovecraft collection, I finally got to meet the Uber-talented Melanie "Earthenwood" at the GenCon-Indy :wave: and I ended up winning the "Best Mixed Media" Award :) yay !

I just upload one pict (DeepOne with Garnets) and add the others "link style", I pity the modems... :D

Cthulhu (http://www.furetfou.com/photos/lovecraft/webcthulhuside.jpg)
OldOnes (http://www.furetfou.com/photos/lovecraft/webooneck.jpg)
Shoggoth and OldOnes (http://www.furetfou.com/photos/lovecraft/webshoggyneck.jpg)
Shoggoth pendant (http://www.furetfou.com/photos/lovecraft/webshoggypend2.jpg)

Wintreborne
08-23-2004, 06:50 PM
Those look so cool. I particularly like Cthulu and the Shoggoth and Old Ones. Great work. Wish I could have gone to Gen-con. Made my first pilgrimage 2 years ago and will have to go back sometime.

Chris

MadameKali
08-23-2004, 06:57 PM
Somk, I love it! All the gencon folks here in Columbus would be drooling, too ;)

McDuck
08-23-2004, 07:44 PM
I just love the deep one with garnets, could be that my birthstone is garnet too. Such a talent you have! And Melanie, isnt she the sweetest and yes talented! I bet you all had fun, show us pics!

mary

Kerensamere
08-23-2004, 09:39 PM
Your work is incredible, the detail is amazing! Keep it up and please keep posting pictures! -Jen

Oskadis
08-24-2004, 06:45 AM
I think I already kinda said my opinion ... but I bet it does not hurt to repeat it. I LOVE the Ctulhu one :)

So now that that is said ... when you selling it ? ;)

Retta Gates
08-24-2004, 06:49 AM
Just gorgeous, they really look alive! I would love one :D

McDuck
08-24-2004, 09:08 AM
Yes, how do we purchase???

-mary

Barrie
08-24-2004, 10:15 AM
Knowing what goes into casting, I have a deep respect and admiration for your pieces!! Holy cow they're gorgeous!!!! Can I pm you for wax work and casting tips?? :wink2:

beclectic
08-24-2004, 10:45 AM
Even better in 3 dimensions than in the drawings, which were outstanding. I love the flow of your work. Were these one time molds? I'd like a better look at the Cathulu but the Deep One is my fave so far.

earthenwood
08-24-2004, 10:48 AM
I am the proud owner of one of these new Sluggoths! I bought a silver one at Gen con! It is very beautifully carved! And it has inspired me to read some Lovecraft. I may string it with some small garnets, for an extra creepy effect.

Seriously, your jewelry was some of the coolest stuff at Gen Con, and I spent much of the night having wild dreams of monsters and knots after seeing your display! :evil: :eek: :wink2:

somk
08-24-2004, 11:02 AM
Wheeee, thank you all :D

I will begin and cast copies on wednesday (along with the ladybug necklace. Ahem, better late than.. well..) and have a pro make the vulcanized stuff molds. And I'll be free because all those swirls and tendrils are driving me boinker. (which actually, considering the subject, would seem logical enough)

I need to have a batch of them for WorldCon but I'll start to sell them around September 5th I suppose. I've already got commissioned pieces in gold :) yay !

Melanie> garnets would be somptuous ! I pondered about making a shoggoth with tiny garnets set in the "bubbles.. that could be fun.

Now I have to find a source of decent GREEN goldstone. It's easy to find blue or brown, even purple but green..so far no luck :/ If someone knows something about a good source, I'm more than willing to try it !

Barrie> If I may help, sure but do not beleive I'm a real old pro at casting. I'm applying the same recipe over and over. I learnt with a pro "caster" and he knows nearly everything, I'm just a copy-cat applying his recipe... If something was to go wrong, I'd run to him like the wind *lol*

~So

TheBlueBetween
08-24-2004, 11:15 AM
very nice! And congrats on your award!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Andee
08-24-2004, 11:22 AM
Somk - incredible! Gorgeously creepy! I love them!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Kerensamere
08-24-2004, 09:32 PM
My DH uses a self vulcanizing mold making medium, it's supposed to be able to withstand high heat and molten metal, he uses it to cast bricks and building blocks out of rockite to make model castles and such. If it's helpful and you're interested in more info on it let me know I'll have him give me the name of it and his source. -Jen