PDA

View Full Version : Show and Tell, Monday Monday--8.23.04

MadameKali
08-22-2004, 11:41 PM
Well, as usual, the thread is getting started EARLY again--because we all know that after a certain time, the current day's thread is mostly defunct. :D

Well, I made a piece and a half. The one with buttons, the pic doesn't really do it justice--I'm going to reshoot it later. Yes, that's my neck it's modeled on. It's called "beach bum"--buttons on six strands of hemp. I've already gotten tons of compliments on it. Today I added two charms to the back: the charm for neptune (which looks like a triton) and a pisces charm. It looks both industrial and natural--I love it. :)

The second is the focal for a piece I am going to do with half wire, half (I think) hemp--and if not hemp, then chain. It's some sort of man made "beach glass" or something? that I wired as pendants. I am not sure why, but I've had lots of sea themed work lately! I don't even live near the ocean!

Anywho, that's my Sunday/Monday work. :)

MadameKali
08-23-2004, 12:52 AM
Addendum... :) I took a decent picture of it.

TheBlueBetween
08-23-2004, 01:09 AM
Susie I always enjoy seeing your creations - you can tell how much fun you have making them. The button colors are great - I bet something like that would look pretty neat with those eyelash yarns too...hmnnnn.... The second piece looks like it's going to be Very Cool. I vote for the chain... or leather even - over the hemp cord. JMO ;)

MadameKali
08-23-2004, 01:11 AM
Oooh, Pam--I didn't think about leather. I want it to be SOMETHING natural looking, though--I'm digging this natural/industrial dichotomy.

Thanks for the tip! :)

Andee
08-23-2004, 05:08 AM
Susie - nice work, I especially like the button-collar! :)

And now :music:*tadaaaa* :music: I proudly present my very first chain maille-bracelet, and Mary, note that it's copper! ;) I made quite large rings so it wouldn't be too difficult, but unfortunately now the bracelet looks a bit "empty"... I will replace that very weird clasp btw (need to buy thicker wire for that first)...

Oskadis
08-23-2004, 06:54 AM
Susie, I love the glass necklace :) The one with the buttons is lovely too - but I am partial to metal ;)

Andee - very good for a "first try" ;) Just love that weave. When I can get my hands on jumprings Ill probably dabble into that one as well.

Here are my pretties for the day.

Oskadis
08-23-2004, 07:05 AM
Doh - wrong button.
Here they are:
(1) Vintage materials except the central plaque, which is a copy of a vintage design.

(2) Vintage settings and , Swarovskis and bohemian rhinestones. Czech glass beads.

(3) My first ring!!! I am happy :) All vintage - the brass and the rhinestone (German)

(4) More earhangers :) I am pondering with those though if to add three dangles or just leave it with one. I favor one dangle, but I can see that 3 would be attractive too - what do you think?
Vintage brass dangle - rest is new.

(5) A more gothic necklace. Vintage heart/acorn shaped glass stone, stamping is a copy from an identical vintage design, rest is new materials.

tamjai
08-23-2004, 07:06 AM
Susie - the button necklace is wonderfully summery and i love your finishing solution
andee - watch out - maille is addictive, glad you put a dangle on it!
www.davidchain.com
you may have already seen this site but if not enjoy!
karen - now that's my idea of a cocktail ring!
tam

Andee
08-23-2004, 08:06 AM
Karen - it's so easy (and much cheaper) to make the jumprings yourself. All you need is wire, a mandrel (I used a knitting needle) and a metal saw... And gee, you HAVE been busy! The top necklace - stunning, I especially like that colour combination! The ring - wooooooh, great one! The bottom necklace - very delicate, love it!! The earrings are lovely, too!

Tam - yeah, I'm afraid so, I'm sure this wasn't my last piece! ;) Thanks for the link, great site!

SingingCat
08-23-2004, 08:20 AM
Lovely stuff earlybirds! :) Nothing like inspiration and envy before breakfast!!

I love the buttons neckpiece - it does make me think of barefoot summer days and gauzy dresses! Can't wait to see how the sea glass necklace turns out....I was just running my fingers over a bunch of pieces of that at the jewelry show searching for inspiration too...darn....

Great copper maille bracelet, I definately going to have to try some of that soon. (To Try List Item #236!)

And oooh those vintage pieces are SOOOO romantic and beautiful....

I love looking at everyones work even if I don't always post!

dogmaw
08-23-2004, 08:30 AM
Susie - nice work, I especially like the button-collar! :)

And now :music:*tadaaaa* :music: I proudly present my very first chain maille-bracelet, and Mary, note that it's copper! ;) I made quite large rings so it wouldn't be too difficult, but unfortunately now the bracelet looks a bit "empty"... I will replace that very weird clasp btw (need to buy thicker wire for that first)...

Cool! I really like the clasp.

Jo

McDuck
08-23-2004, 08:46 AM
Susie, i like th button colors! very nice. And the pendants for the necklace do remind me of th sea. Cant wait and leather would be a great choice.

Andee - I like the copper very much! pretty bead too. Great to see more copper going on out there.

Karen - I like the single dangle better too. I bet it would look fantastic on a very long neck!

-nothing form me today.

Jacinthe
08-23-2004, 12:06 PM
Awesome stuff everyone. I only have one thing to show. My very first bead weaving. Its called the Dutch Spiral, why I have no clue. But I'm going to use it to make a necklace for my glass supplier for everything she has done for me.
The delicas and seed beads were supplied to me by our dear Retta in our exchange.
I now understand the pull to do this, and I feel for the people who do this regularly. However do you do this all the time? This is definitely something that I will only be doing SPECIAL occassions. Course I guess if I get better at it, it might go faster and be easier.

But without further ado:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Aug-2004/20424-firstweaving.jpg

Hugs from Holland,
Sarah

Gingerbiscuit
08-23-2004, 12:23 PM
I now understand the pull to do this, and I feel for the people who do this regularly. However do you do this all the time? This is definitely something that I will only be doing SPECIAL occassions. Course I guess if I get better at it, it might go faster and be easier.

I have to own up, I do small seed bead work all the time. I'm totally hooked! I can't believe that this is your first piece. You did a great job! I too have no idea why it is called a Dutch spiral. It is a peyote variation, but where the name comes from I have no idea!

Lovely pieces today everyone! :)

MadameKali
08-23-2004, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the nice words, everyone! And now that I have my new pliers from Aislyn, there will be no stopping my maille...er.. until I need new ones again. (And these pliers, by the way, are great.)

Andee, rock on! Welcome to the maille world. Please enjoy your loooooooong stay ;) And yes, you can even use pearls.

Here are a couple of my favorite pieces from the maille gallery at mailleartisans.org:

http://www.mailleartisans.org/gallery/pics/9405myfireandpassionnecklacechoker.jpg
http://www.mailleartisans.org/gallery/pics/92940001.jpg (here are your pearls Andee ;) )

Karen, you might enjoy some of the designs from this person, especially the neck pieces: http://www.mailleartisans.org/gallery/subcat.cgi?key=Armoured_Raven&mode=artist

Speaking of Karen--can I come apprentice under you? I'll even learn German!! :D Your stuff is awesome. I especially love that ring and the red necklace at the end. You're inspiring me--I have a red corset that is just begging for proper neckwear to match.

Sarah, wow! You have more patience than I have,and that looks cool... kinda oceany.. maybe you should send it to me so I can add it to my collection :evil: ;)

Kerensamere
08-23-2004, 09:46 PM
Sarah- That's is one beautiful piece! You should be very proud of it. Keep doing it if it makes you happy and if you're proud of the finished piece. If you're not having fun, do somthing else, that's my motto! -Jen

JavaGirlBT
08-23-2004, 10:56 PM
My teacher explained to me that the Dutch Spiral stitch came out of a beadweaving book written in Dutch. I can't remember the name of the author, except that she's Dutch.

Aha! Found it. Her name is Ginke Root and the book is Innovative Beaded Jewelry. Here's a link to the book - scroll down a few:

http://www.whimbeads.com/books/bead-instruction3.html

Sassyglassgal
08-24-2004, 12:49 AM
Wow, all the jewelry today is awesome. I like the button necklace for its simplicity, and the chain mail bracelet, sara that weave is gorgeous. Yes, I don't do as much weaving as i used to cuz it takes so much time and I spend more time on glass bead making, but I don't want to forget the stitches I know or the patterns so every once in awhile I make something. If I forgot anyone else, didn't mean to, oh yeah I like the brass designs as well. Here is a turquoise weave necklace and a beautiful turquoise stone kind of in a long rounded triangle shape I incorporated into it.

Oskadis
08-24-2004, 06:42 AM
Karen, you might enjoy some of the designs from this person, especially the neck pieces: http://www.mailleartisans.org/gallery/subcat.cgi?key=Armoured_Raven&mode=artist

Speaking of Karen--can I come apprentice under you? I'll even learn German!! :D Your stuff is awesome. I especially love that ring and the red necklace at the end. You're inspiring me--I have a red corset that is just begging for proper neckwear to match.

Susie - that page is awesome. I need to learn how to make my own jumprings ... fast. I dig that style :)

Hmm :) You flatter me. I love your way of working with wire - how about a little exchange? :wink2:
Corsets rock - I have a velveteen one that changes from deep purple to black. Usually I wear my humdinger necklace with it (the BIG one made of black vintage beads I posted once).

Beads-Me!
08-24-2004, 09:23 AM
How in the world did I miss this yesterday?! Beautiful, beautiful work my friends! Wow!

bdswagger
10-29-2004, 06:27 PM
Karen - it's so easy (and much cheaper) to make the jumprings yourself. All you need is wire, a mandrel (I used a knitting needle) and a metal saw... And gee, you HAVE been busy! The top necklace - stunning, I especially like that colour combination! The ring - wooooooh, great one! The bottom necklace - very delicate, love it!! The earrings are lovely, too!

Tam - yeah, I'm afraid so, I'm sure this wasn't my last piece! ;) Thanks for the link, great site!

Cool, I hadn't thought of the knitting needle idea. That's good! I bet that for REEEEALLY little jumprings, that a fat darning needle with the point filed off, would work too.
Leigh