PDA

View Full Version : Will & Grace Caricature

Art_man
08-22-2004, 10:46 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to do a caricature of the cast of the TV show "Will & Grace". Here's what I have so far. I know, the likeness isn't there. I'm trying not to get frustrated but I'm strugglin' with it. Please, comments, feedback, and suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
Ricky :)

designbyjen
08-23-2004, 09:15 AM
hiya...school start'in for ya this week? i already know your fav. class-ha ha.
hey just wanted to comment that this looks more like a portrait. stick to outline drawing w/ these until your satisfied...don't spend all that time adding value & hoping that will solve that initial dissatisfaction. remember you have to get the nail before you grab the hammer!
~~~jen

Meldy
08-23-2004, 01:35 PM
Hey Artman! I have been watching your progress for a while now on caricatures, and am very impressed at how hard you work. I know it can be frustrating but hang in there. It is a new way of thinking. You definately have the talent to do it! Like Jen said, stick just to lines until you get it where you want it.

I did my first caricature a few months ago for a client. They asked, I said yes, and panicked. I have only been used to doing portraits but knew that I could push myself. It took DAYS! But I was able to pull it off - or at least my client was happy. What got me thru it (after doing complete drawings over and over and nearly bursting into tears) was to get a pad of tracing paper. I would do a quick sketch and the *riiip* and then another and *riiip* until I had a bunch of loose likenesses and then I picked out the best. Then I used another sheet of tracing paper on top of the other and *tweaked* and pushed features a little by little. Until I had something I was very pleased with. Doing that really loosened me up and while caricatures are still HARD for me.. they are a tad easier. Anyway that is what worked for me - I am sure that there are many ways and it depends on what helps you the most. Keep drawing!!!! You are going to be amazing one day! :) :P

Art_man
08-23-2004, 10:52 PM
Hi,

thanks so much for the encouragement. Jen, I actually start school next week, September 2nd. I'm a sophomore now, YEAH!!! The summer sure did go by fast, geesh. Meldy, thanks so much. I'll try using tracing paper, it certainly less expensive than drawing paper - my parents will be happy hehe. I'm actually going to be working part-time once school starts so that I can buy my own art supplies.

I guess my biggest problem is that I have high expectations. I expect to look at a picture or someone start to draw them and boom, a caricature is created on the first try without mistakes. I'm expecting to run before learning to walk so to speak. I'm not a quitter - I'll keep plugging away until I get it right. I'll keep posting my attempts.

Thanks again,
Ricky :)