PDA

View Full Version : Waterlilies- Opinions needed

tonii
08-22-2004, 07:57 PM
Hi everyone,

I've decided to create a new thread (as the original was placed in the wrong forum).

It's been a long while since I touched this painting again...constantly been putting if off. But now I think I am getting closer to finishing it. Looking forward & dying to start on something new.....

C&C are needed ..please. Is there somewhere that you think needs more work? I'd love to know. Also, when completed, do you think it's better matted or unmatted? If matted, what colour would you choose for the matt? (I am so indecisive when it comes to matting).

Thanks in advance.

Cheers :)
Tanya

See below for ref pic etc....

Original link (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186263)

khourianya
08-22-2004, 10:04 PM
Wow. this is beautiful. good job! :clap:

I think it would look stunning double matted. White inside, a plummy-purpley colour outside... I dunno - that is just the colour note that this piece is calling out to me...

Kathryn Wilson
08-23-2004, 06:18 AM
This turned out wonderful - I like how you carried the pinks over into the leaves - it pulls the painting all together. :clap:

If you plan to show this in a gallery or enter a competition, your mat should be white or eggshell white. Other than that, I would have difficulty in suggesting anything else as matting, for me, takes a lot of testing different color combinations in real life.

Cheena K
08-23-2004, 07:33 AM
These are lovely :) :clap: :clap:
I have been hooked to the lilies too, painted a few lately...I bet you had great fun painting!

meowmeow
08-23-2004, 09:42 AM
Terrific lilies, Tanya.

I always prefer a mat and then usually white or off white...but it is really up to you and how you feel about it.

Sandy

K Taylor-Green
08-23-2004, 11:23 AM
Great lillies, Tanya. Lots of depth, and the colors work.
I usually go for neutral mats, especially for shows.

christmascarolnz
08-23-2004, 05:41 PM
Hi Tonii. What a lovely painting. Have you considered warming up the lily flowers? It's just that the paintng looks cold...or maybe that is just my screen and our winter talking.
Here is a link to a site Jacki Simmonds told us about a year or so ago. I had it saved in my favourites. You can see what your painting could look like before taking it to a framer. We all thought it was a great site back then... I hope it helps you with your decision making. I'm a real ditherer when it comes to choosing frames and matt board.
Cheers,
Carol
Virtual framing (http://www.pictureframes.com/scripts/WebObjects/PictureFrames.woa/wa/FrameShop)

tonii
08-24-2004, 08:32 PM
Thanks to everyone for giving me your suggestions. :wink2:

This will not be displayed for any show. It will be a gift for my sister in law for no particular reason.

Thanks Carol for that virtual framing link too. It's definately an assistance.
I tried to warm up the lilies but I found it quite hard. Perhaps because of my limited colours of pastels. When I tried to add more colours, the result ended up a little muddy rather than giving more depth.

It does project a coolness which I hope it would go with the calmness/ serenity of the piece. (The pads look more green in real life.).

Thanks to all for helping!

Cheers
Tanya :)