PDA

View Full Version : new member questions

Marge Cline
08-22-2004, 11:39 AM
Hi. I can't begin to tell you how happy I am to find this site. Was thinking about taking a class this fall, but should be able to find help here I'm thinking. Besides a housebound husband (severe emphysema) keeps me pretty close to home these days. I am pretty much self taught, but have taken a few classes over the years. Have worked with acryllics, ink drawings, pencil portraits and then discovered pastels. Wow what gorgeuos colors one can achieve with these; I'm hooked now. Have a question.. Can anyone share ideas on how to store pastel paintings when not wanting to frame them for the time being. I don't want to fix them, I tried that once and was really unhappy :mad: Yet I cant think of an efficient yet safe way to keep them from smearing. Any ideas will be much appreciated. I will post my current WIP for comment asap. Nice to meetcha all. Marge Cline :wave:

SweetBabyJ
08-22-2004, 11:53 AM
If they are small, you can tear the pages from glossy magazines out and lay them in-between the paintings. Glassine is good for larger pieces- it's a very thin, light, static-free paper, kinda like waxed paper, but not quite. I buy glassine in 5 yard swatches and that saves time and money. Then, just stack them up- I go large to small- and lay them on a flat surface (under the bed is good, unless you have lively dust bunnies).

Someone was experimenting with these new-fangled "glassine envelopes" but I don't recall who, or whether or not it worked; I suppose if you buy glassine by the yard, it'd be easy enough to fashion your own.

Welcome- glad you found us, look forward to seeing your work, and if you've any questions, just ask. We have ALLLL the answers- sometimes we even make sure they match your question!

K Taylor-Green
08-22-2004, 12:01 PM
Welcome to pastels!! You have come to the right place for any artistic help you may need. I store mine as Julie (SBJ) does.
I'm looking forward to seeing your work.

Marge Cline
08-22-2004, 12:21 PM
Where does one find glassene? Like what kind of store..art supply? fabric? Never heard the term before. Thanks. Marge Cline

SweetBabyJ
08-22-2004, 12:40 PM
Any decent artist's supply store should carry glassine- Dick Blick's (a WC sponsor) ASW, Jerry's, Curry's- all of 'em Here's a link to Blick's http://www.dickblick.com/zz173/18/products.asp?param=0&ig_id=4501

I get mine locally off the roll, here's a link: http://webdb.com/retail/opasinc/shopping/searchresults.asp

Dark_Shades
08-22-2004, 05:58 PM
Hello Marge, welcome to the forum .......

think Mikki (1mpete) bought some see thru envelopes to store pastels, not sure how she got on with them, must ask, want to know myself lol

Diane Cutter
08-23-2004, 11:09 AM
Where does one find glassene? Like what kind of store..art supply? fabric? Never heard the term before. Thanks. Marge Cline
I get mine from the Light Impressions catalog. They sell it in various sizes, so I get a couple of different sizes because I'm lazy and I can never cut the larger pieces down nicely... http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.com/servlet/OnlineShopping?ACTN=80000&keyword=glassine&x=4&y=7