PDA

View Full Version : Kerry Caricature

TedDawson
08-22-2004, 10:46 AM
A JFK caricature. My general goal is to use as few lines as necessary when it comes to caricatures. Someone pointed out that Kerry resembles a certain celebrity, so I thought I'd take it there. Comments, crits welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Aug-2004/36907-kerry.gif

designbyjen
08-22-2004, 06:50 PM
understand what yer trying to achieve but it's not kerry yet. defining characteristics are where you need to put those lines & the 'smilie' mouth is too simplified. lazy eyes...expressive eyebrows (this one you got), long face...the nose is sorta there. def. need less detail in the charlie garb cuz it's overpowering for what you say you're shoot'in for.
that's my 2 cents anyways...i sure couldn't even attempt to try what u r do'in.
thought of putting in any outside details?--do something w/ the charlie walking stick or inffuse some modern kerry element...w/ out putting a 'kerry' button on him-ha ha. course, any such detail could interject a new meaning so it'd have to be well thought to keep it 'on course'.
~~~jen

AFM159
08-24-2004, 01:05 AM
I see it and I don't.

Perhaps trying to pull off the double likeness, Laurel and Kerry, is the hard part?

I like the less is more approach, though, much like ...............arghhhh. ......uhhhh..........it'lll come.......ahhh...HAH....Hirschfeld!

TedDawson
08-24-2004, 09:45 AM
Well, I guess I'll work on it some more. Yeah, achieving the double-likeness is the challenge. Maybe what I need to do is include Edwards, a la Ollie. Maybe the mind is used to seeing those two together. Not sure if it'll work, but we'll see...

Yeah, I like Hirschfeld's stuff. I also like the work of political cartoonist Ann Telnaes.

AFM159
08-24-2004, 01:17 PM
Go for it man! I like the idea of adding Edwards as Ollie, would complete the pair.

I also like the work of political cartoonist Ann Telnaes.

I love political cartoons! I considered it briefly in college on the advice of an art instructor, but politics is such a quagmire I have never had the heart to really try. Plus I think he was more likely trying to get me to see the use of black in composition. Particularly how good political cartoonists use black as a counter weight to balance the work. Ann Telnaes work is a great example of that, and not only does she use black effectively, she makes good use of spot color as well.

designbyjen
08-30-2004, 09:45 AM
kudos to your brainstorming ted & dave! great ideas!
somebody sent me a digital tweaking of the 2 wearing superhero tights...it made me feel more sick then laugh at it--ack--i like your idea a lot better!
~~~jen