PDA

View Full Version : Art By Bmburt

BMBURT
08-22-2004, 03:06 AM
I have had a few people on Wetscanvas contact me about seeing more work, and I am sorry it has taken me a little while to get respond. My wife and I recently bought a house and I am putting a new studio in and have been bogged down with electrical and other construction 'issues'. But here are a few older pieces, and a couple of more recent ones. Feel free to visit my website which is almost all the way up and running.

www.bmburt.com

Dark_Shades
08-22-2004, 05:26 AM
Well I went and checked your website to see what medium this was lol ........

WOW........so pleased you found a little time to post.... I hope you find even more time to come back in and talk about your work, style and processess.....

Im an immediate fan, and eagerly await your return :clap:

Kathryn Wilson
08-22-2004, 07:45 AM
Hi and Welcome to the Pastel Forum! We've heard so much about you here on the forum from your followers and I'm so pleased that you are able to join us on WC.

I also visited your web site Gallery and enjoyed looked through all the "treasures."

:)

E-J
08-22-2004, 10:18 AM
Welcome Brian, and thanks for posting the link to your beautiful still lifes! I'm with Dawn - excitedly looking forward to learning more about your methods and procedures :)

Khadres
08-22-2004, 10:49 AM
Welcome to the Wet Canvas! Pastel pandemonium area! Your work is wonderful! Can't wait to see more and good luck with that new studio!

K Taylor-Green
08-22-2004, 11:38 AM
I checked out your website. Stunning work. Welcome, welcome.

Paula Ford
08-22-2004, 12:51 PM
Welcome!!

Your works are wonderful!!

Paula

BMBURT
08-22-2004, 01:16 PM
Thanks for all the very gracious comments. I actually stubled onto this site by a mutual friend. . . Marc Hanson (I think he goes by paintbox1 or something close to that). I am always looking for new pieces that he is putting out and did a search and found his name popping up on Wetcanvas.com so I had to see what all the fuss was. This is a great site top to bottom for beginners to seasoned veterans. It's great that there is such a free sharing of information, this is so key to the learning process. I look forward to seeing all of your works on the site and if you ever have any questions, comments, or critiques (which can be the most helpful!) feel free.

SweetBabyJ
08-22-2004, 01:34 PM
I've studied your work before- nice to see you here and hopefully, you can help those of us who are striving for more realism with the medium. I note you, too, use Wallis nearly exclusively, but what brand of pastels do you employ- usually- as "I need THAT colour!" is more important than brand, I'd think?

Oh- and your figure work is exquisite.

BMBURT
08-22-2004, 02:16 PM
SweetBabyJ (I have to say I never thought I would be starting a response with that) anyhoo you are absolutely right about whatever color works theory. How far I am going to puch a piece will usually determine which brands I use the most of. In a way I work opposite of many noted pastelists, chiefly Daniel Greene who will start out with hard pastels and usually grade down in hardness as he moves to finish. I choose to work soft to hard using the soft pastels (Unison/Schminkce) as a "base coat" and then start to push it around with the harder ones (Nupastel/Carbothello/Pitt/etc...) but here is where what you said comes into play, stepping back if I feel that a softer pastel can better tell the color than the harder one I simply use that one with a very light touch. I am a firm believer in trying as many methods as you can and synthisizing all of what works best for you together and going from there. I have given alot of demos and I always seem to get asked about the start and I try to remember to take photos of a piece in stages but I always forget. I do have a photo of a portrait start that I did which I'll try to post.

SweetBabyJ
08-22-2004, 02:30 PM
ahhh- my nick's just a reminder to me to play well with others- although on some days I hafta wear a halo to hide the horn buds... gives one that old "crown of thorns" feeling, you know? A good reminder when you're feeling out of sorts with the world.

Nice to learn something I've been discovering on my own has been discovered by others- working soft to hard gives a lot more control, I've found. Although Senneliers sometimes have a bit of Diva-thng going on and don't enjoy being covered up. They bow eventually, though (or they get the brush- showing off is all well and good, but *I'll* choose which colours show-off, I'm the director here!)

Oh- and when you upload pics- you can make them up to 600 x 500 pixels in size (which isn't much for a large piece and tends to give some nasty hard edges in a big piece compressed too far) but we could then see more of your actual work. If you click "Quick Links" in that blue bar above here, and then choose "Image Uploader", you can navigate your hd to the file you wish, and upload the photo here with an html tag (wizardly, eh?) which will show as html in your message box, but once posted, will open as the pic. That way, we can see pieces as we reply, and a bit bigger would be nice. If you're worried about theft of images, well, can't say it would never happen, but even as large as this community is, it isn't a problem we have often- being artists ourselves, we all understand and find it reprehensible.

Again, welcome- look forward to exchanging thoughts with you.

dexonsbabe
08-22-2004, 06:20 PM
Have come across your web site and love your work as a new comer to soft pastels (normaly use pastel pencils) I look forward to seeing some of your WIP and learning all I can from you.......A BIG WELCOME :clap:

Cheena K
08-24-2004, 06:57 AM
Your work is MARVELLOUS!!! I hope I got the spellings right...I am so excited!!
Please visit more often, got to learn a lot from you and all the great people here on WC!!!