PDA

View Full Version : Alice Cooper Caricature

Art_man
08-22-2004, 12:31 AM
Hi,

I just uploaded a caricature I did (only took about 5 minutes) of Alice Cooper. I can't seem to get a good likeness in my caricatures. I don't know. Maybe I can't draw caricatures. Oh well,please, comments, feedback, and suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
Ricky :)

Mr. Nauss
08-22-2004, 12:37 AM
Wait until your 30 to judge wheteher or not you can or can't do something. I was 20 the first time I even tried to draw a charicature. If that only took you 5 minutes you'll be an award winner by that time. Keep it up, you got potential. Play with the nose and don't stop until your happy. Noses are hard but once mastered the face has no choice but to follow.

TedDawson
08-22-2004, 09:34 AM
Say, I thought Alice Cooper was a caricature!

I like all the contrast, and I think most people would know who this is. I think it's good to do quick caricatures like this. I'll usually do a few until I find one that's getting the look I want.

One thing about ol' Alice is that he has a really long nose. I find that it's hard to really see some features unless you have reference pics from different angles. For example, a profile would purvey the proportion of his proboscis.

I dunno about you, but I can't draw a caricature of anybody when I'm looking at a picture of them. It restricts my imagination. I do best when it's someone I've seen on TV a lot and have a "feel" for them... an idea of what they are in my head, rather than a snapshot of what they look like at one particular moment in time; which, to me, isn't indicative. Ever notice how we think most photos don't look like us or someone we know? We are not inanimate objects; we're constantly moving. Even our eyes move, whether we realize it or not, around 24 time a second (about the rate we process images, which is why we can watch a motion picture and see them as moving images rather than a succession of still images).

I also like to do a lot of sketching in pen. Then I can't erase and get bogged down on one drawing... I just move to a new one.

Now, of course, this is just me. I don't do the realistic, highly polished type of caricatures that folks like you and Jason do, which require that attention to detail. I can say one thing that helped me immensely when I was in school... one of our assignments was to go through a bunch of magazines and, for a couple of pages, draw (in pencil) nothing but eyes. Another, nothing but noses. And another, nothing but mouths. I'd had no idea that there could be so much variety in the minute details! This simple assignment was one of those that made a difference in the way I'd draw forever.

Another thing that gets the brain working in new ways is to do caricatures of things, rather than people. Figuring out what "personalities" they have.

I like seeing your drawings, whether you know it or not, you already have the beginnings of your own style; it's recognizeable as yours. Wonderful thing. Thing I've noticed is, Style is a process rather than an end result. Good art is good art, regardless of style. The You comes out in whatever you draw, and to me, that's better than Style.

It's early and half/half coffee is kicking in slowly, so I don't know what any of this means, except for the part that I like your work.

dcorc
08-22-2004, 10:10 AM
We're not worthy!

Definitely Mr Cooper, no doubt about it.

Jason's your man for advice on caricatures - so go with what he says - but I would have thought that doing straight portraits first would be good practice - as a caricature is essentially a distorted portrait - and the trick is being able to introduce the distortions which keeping the likeness.

Dave