PDA

View Full Version : WIP - Stables

khourianya
08-21-2004, 08:44 PM
Last week I attended a wedding out in the country and was roaming around the yard before the ceremony...I heard a horse neigh in the trees behind the wedding location and went to investigate...lo and behold, there was this amazing row of stables back there. A quick snap of the camera was all i needed to bring the inspiration home with me.

C&C are most apreciated. this is still a work in progress and I would love to hear how you guys think I can make it better! Thanks in advance!

Approx 8X10 on Cream Strathmore paper, assorted pastels

khourianya
08-22-2004, 01:47 AM
Just thought I'd post an update. I added a bit of dimension to the fences and have started on the greenery.... It would seem this piece has you all finger-locked (as opposed to tongue-tied)...is that a good thing? :D

Paula Ford
08-22-2004, 11:47 AM
You have a terrific start on this!! Love the fence. It definately has some depth to it and your color choices work very well together.

When painting trees, think of mass and not every leaf, and use lots of darks to give depth and variation. May I suggest also varying the heights of the trees.

Keep going with this, I'd like to see the progress you make with it. Thanks for posting it!!

Paula

K Taylor-Green
08-22-2004, 11:56 AM
Great start on this, Cori. Paula has given you some good advice. Looking forward to updates.

bnoonan
08-22-2004, 01:24 PM
Keep going and keep us posted. YOu have selected a difficult composition here - it's effective but lots of lines and shapes. As such, I think you'll find things will pop if you just go with some solid values - light lights and really dark darks. Don't be afraid - just use that reference photo.

Barb

khourianya
08-22-2004, 01:45 PM
Paula, Katherine, and Barb - Thank you for all of your positive feedback!

For some reson it has been a struggle to get my colours right...I am thinking it is just my working with a very, VERY limited palette (after all, I am just starting out)...so now I am tempted to go shopping today :evil:

I will try to post an update today!

tampster1
08-22-2004, 02:08 PM
Cori a little color theory for first thing in the morning. Remember when doing your greenery that cool colors blue, green recede and warm colors like orange red yellow advance. and the closer you get the more detailed the farther away the more blurred.

khourianya
08-22-2004, 10:42 PM
Ok guys..thanks so much for all of your help. I think I am finally happy with this one (and eager to start on my next - lol) Let me know if you see anything glaring that should be fixed. the tree on the right still sucks (IMHO) but it is better than it was...

tampster1
08-22-2004, 10:46 PM
Cori, add some blue greens to the background trees and blur.. Think of the more as a color block than trees.. Then call it done. Also if you could use the image uploader locate in the blue bar under Quick links, we will be able to view your lovely piece as we are commenting. :) Kids say hi BTW

khourianya
08-22-2004, 11:00 PM
:cat: Hi M & P! :wave:

The blue-green may have to wait a bit. I don't really have one (yet). I am planning a run to the art supply store in the next day or so, though, so will pick one up and add it in then...

Ahhh..if only every colour would just magically appear on my table! :rolleyes: