PDA

View Full Version : Dr. C Retires...

chookbrown
08-21-2004, 08:39 PM
This is our family orthodontist... DR. C. He has done three of our family members including myself and is the nicest man. A University of Nebraska College football player then distinguished professional, loving family and very giving to others. Not bad looking for a man in his late 60s I might add. :D I thought I would do this as a retirement gift for him. He was mightly suspicious though when I entered his surgery with my camera clicking.. :D:D

14 x 12 inch approx. on green Art Spectrum Colorfix.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Aug-2004/9218-DrClaridgeMed.jpg

All C & C most welcome.

Cheers and thanks for looking,

Colleen :D:D

khourianya
08-21-2004, 08:50 PM
What a beautiful gift! I am sure he'll be quite pleased to recieve it and know he meant so much to your family.

I think his jawline looks a bit too dark on the one side...could be my eyes, but maybe if it was blended a bit more it would not seem as sharp.

Other than that - i think you have done a gorgeous job on this!

judwal
08-21-2004, 10:12 PM
What a thoughtful gift. I'm sure he'll be pleased to get this.

chewie
08-21-2004, 10:29 PM
sign it, frame it, and don't forget to put your b.card on the back, you may get some jobs outta this! lovely work, i very much like the skin texture and tones.

Dyin
08-21-2004, 11:41 PM
teehee...you made me laugh, miss click away! I like your color choices, yellow to me brings out a sunny personality and your description sounds like that too. I'm sure he will really treasure this! I think you did a good job on the glasses...they're hard and these are very believeable. Agree on the harsh line...probably a little feathering there would soften it. But overall what you feel for this man came through very well, and in my book (or anyone's I'd think) that's what portraiture is all about! :clap:

prestonsega
08-21-2004, 11:53 PM
I like the solid green background...I am assuming that is the surface of the colored artspectrum.....am I correct...regardless, I think it is working for you. From my readings there seems to be no consensus as to whether colored papers should be left unpainted, I for one like the effect...clean and solid :clap:

crumbedbrains
08-22-2004, 12:28 AM
Hey Chook . .
Great gift this . . .doesn't get any more personal . .I did the same thing for my old boss and he still talks about it to this day . . be prepared though . . my boss cried when I gave it to him. So noce to do this stuff isn't it??
Crumby :)

Dark_Shades
08-22-2004, 10:41 AM
Im sure he will love it, and indeed you have captured he's personality ..... he comes across as a very nice man ..... lol even if he is an orthodontist :D

.... memories of ours, are all driller killers :)

K Taylor-Green
08-22-2004, 10:46 AM
What a great gift. He'll treasure it forever. Wonderful job on this, Colleen.

chookbrown
08-22-2004, 11:20 AM
Thanks Cori, will be revisiting that later today to check on it... I think you are right... I needed to step away for a bit and then go look again today. :D

Thank you Judy!!:D

Thanks Chewie! I hope you are right even tho I don't like commissions very much.. :D He probably moves in the right circles for getting more work. :D

Thanks Sue! Will be feathering that line as you and Cori suggested! He did have on that yellow shirt so I was a bit worried about it stealing the focus but I have lots of yellow tones in his skin... thank goodness he golfs, and has a tan!!:D

Thanks Preston! Yes, this is the untouched color of the Art Spectrum. I don't really like just plonking people in a painting without any background at all but this makes it a bit easier to get away with and I also sort of like the solid colors. The first portrait I did on green was Luvy (where is she??) at the bottom on my signature images. I was worried she would end up looking like a martian but I was happy with the outcome and thought I would try another.:D

Thanks Crumby! Yes I remember your bosses portrait, it was lovely and no wonder he cried!! I hope Dennis doesn't cry when I give him this... I'll just bolt..LOL.. too soft me. But it is nice to be able to do this for people! :D

Thank you Dawn! He is a lovely man but I do think he is better looking in real life!! I'll be sure to tell him that!! LOL Funny how bad memories of dentists and such stay with us!! :eek: :D

Thanks Kate! I hope he likes it.. :D

Cheers all and thank you for the feedback, much appreciated!!

Colleen :D:D