PDA

View Full Version : Angel Warrior

TedDawson
08-21-2004, 07:39 PM
My rendition of a character from the old Spawn comics. There's something not quite right about it. Comments and critiques welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Aug-2004/36907-angel_warrior.gif

Mr. Nauss
08-22-2004, 12:02 AM
Ah Angela.

I think the problem lies within the nose. Less is more when it comes to the nose. The greatest obsticals in drawing I've faced are the hands, feet and the nose. McFarlane being one of the greatest creative genius' of all time has all down to a science. But isn't it funny that Spawn has no nose.

Kathryn Wilson
08-22-2004, 07:00 AM
Hi Ted! I think I'll defer any comments on the character itself, because I'm not familiar with the Spawn comics - but I find the character's left thigh, especially the upper line, not to be quite right. It just doesn't look like it's connected to the body correctly. Also the folds in the fabic in the bottom left corner don't read well.

In fact, I think your character could do without that part of the costume? I'm also thinking that with the way the direction the character is "flying", that fabic would not be going in that direction.

Other than that, it's got good action and detail.

TedDawson
08-22-2004, 11:02 PM
I did a re-working of the figure through tracing, with the red lines showing the old figure. You're right about the left leg. The torso is off, too. I have this problem sometimes when I draw with ink and don't do any pencils first.

Regarding the fabrics, you'd laugh if you saw any of these old comic books. The cartoonist was infamous for drawing 30-yard-long capes and whatnot that swirled moodily and impossibly through the air. I suppose I was trying to retain some of that aspect. I really don't particularly like the way he drew but he was a good storyteller.

As far as the nose goes, what can I say... I dig chicks with sizeable schnozzes. ;)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Aug-2004/36907-angel_fig.jpg

Kathryn Wilson
08-22-2004, 11:09 PM
Cool, Ted, I think this is looking much more pulled together -

I'm also enjoying seeing your sketching lines - how you construct the body - very nice work. The thigh looks much better - :)

AFM159
08-24-2004, 12:25 AM
I was gonna point out the left leg too. But, looks like ya got it.

Ya know, that gets me thinkin', (and that's not neccessarily a good thing), but anyway, I was a thinkin', I haven't picked up a comic in more years than I would like to admit, but what I was a thinkin' or a wonderin' was - do most comics still adhear to the idealized figure?

ya know, in females, impossibly long legs and big ****s and in males rediculous muscles.

Ted, yours is not as idealized, as say the comics of the late '80's and early 90's, at least to my recolection. Or is this just your personal taste. Not that this is bad or anything, just curious is all.

I do like the image, though, and the reference to the original Spawn artist (man, if I was up on it I would remember his name) is obvious (at least to me). Although, I might make more of her hair in that regards.

Mcfarlane? Yes? HAH YES! Mcfarlane! Not too shabby, I must say!

TedDawson
08-24-2004, 10:07 AM
If anything, the "enhancement" of comic book characters has gotten ten times worse. It's no longer idealizing, it's just caricaturing. I'm not really up on my comics that much, and haven't bought anything since that first year of Spawn which I happened across while checking out Spider-man 2099. I never really liked McFarlane's style, but Spawn was good. I think he's quit drawing now and is a multi-millionaire tycoon.

I've run across some great trade paperbacks at our library. "Bone" by Jeff Smith is just awesome and has to be one of the best comics of all time. I think Spider-man is probably at the best it's been since the '70's. The library also has Hellboy and I enjoyed it.

I probably would have gone into comic books except that I hate drawing buildings. That's what separates the men from the boys, being able and willing to draw backgrounds.

I'd say you can't really draw a super-type without idealizing them in some way or another... if nothing else, the 8-heads-tall factor. The most amazing thing about the Spider-man movies, really, is that they've made it work with an actor who isn't 6'4".

I recommend checking out what your local library has. They've really been stocking up on the graphic novels and trades to attract young people. Some of the best books in the library are in the kids and/or Young Adult sections.

AFM159
08-24-2004, 12:55 PM
If anything, the "enhancement" of comic book characters has gotten ten times worse. It's no longer idealizing, it's just caricaturing.

Yeah, I kinda felt that way the last time I was in a comic shop, musta been round about '97-'98 or so. But to be fair, I took a quick browse and didn't look that hard.

lol - at one time I thought I might do comics too. Teenage pipe dreams, I suppose. It wasn't where my strengths lay.

I think they've managed to pull off the Spiderman movies quite well. The concept behind Spiderman's superpowers fits the smaller figure.

I keep hopin' for someone to do a really good Ironman movie. I think that's another superhero that would do well with a regular sized person. A good story too, given his personal faults.

Our local library is in transition right now. The city is building a new multi-million dollar public library to be open this fall, I think. Makes our old library look like a run down used book shop! We're looking forward to it. I will definately check out what they have when they open.

LOU ZERR
08-28-2004, 11:43 AM
Well I guess you solved the problem with the leg... so I will chim in on the comic book.
I think you can use a smaller acter in Spider-man because in the comic he was supposed to be a unathletic book worm type of guy or as some may call him "a geek" (by the way Im 6'4"...Brag :wink2: ).
There is a Iron Man movie in the works and another midget :evil: Tom Cruise is supposed to play Tony Stark AKA Iron man.
if you want to see more realistic comics check out Alex Ross he is a painter and I love his work .

TedDawson
08-29-2004, 10:27 AM
I'd heard an Iron Man movie was in the works... Tom Cruise? Eh. Well, that means Iron Man's helment will be knocked off for half the movie so we can see Tom's beautiful mug. They always do that.

AFM159
08-30-2004, 01:55 PM
Hey now us short folk ain't got no business......wait that's not right........hummmmm....

Anyway, since Ted got his Angel Warrior worked out and we're off topic anyways.......

Ironman movie in the works? Awsome. Tom Cruise? I never woulda thought he could pull off the Vampire Lestat. But he did. So who knows? At least if thats so, the you know it'll be big budget and hopefully not the crap that was passed off for the Flash and Captain America.

Also, watched Hellboy over the weekend. Cool. Lotsa fun. Hellboy's character personality more closely resembled what I remember of Wolverine's. Not how Wolverine was portrayed in the movies, but how I remember him in the comics. Lotsa one liners, smokin a cigar, a real workin stiff.

Gonna try and check out the extras on the DVD tonight. Oughta be fun.

I've seen Alex Ross's work. Interesting. Nice work, no doubt. Wasn't he one of the first to do watercolors in comics and leave out the inkwork?

AFM159
08-30-2004, 01:58 PM
Oh hey, one other comment, and this one acctually sorta ties into the original topic.

Did you notice the parralells between the Spawn and Hellboy stories? At least in regards to the two movies.

TedDawson
09-02-2004, 09:07 PM
I rented Hellboy last night and yeah, there was something about it that reminded me of the Spawn movie. It's been several years, so I can't really remember the Spawn movie. Visually, I saw some similarities. The special effects weren't bad in Hellboy but had a dated look. And while it wasn't bad overall (the books are better), I think it would've crossed into the Bad zone if it weren't for Ron Perlman. He somehow made a potentially-completely ridiculous character believable.

I think I'm finally going to start working on my own graphic novel, which of course will be a blockbuster movie success one day. :cool:

TedDawson
09-02-2004, 09:10 PM
Oh, yeah, and the whole Son-of-the-Devil-Bringer-of-the-Apocolypse thing, too, I guess they shared. :angel:

AFM159
09-03-2004, 11:24 AM
Oh, yeah, and the whole Son-of-the-Devil-Bringer-of-the-Apocolypse thing, too, I guess they shared. :angel:

Yeah, thats what I was refering to more than anything. And yeah, Ron Perlman made the movie work.

LOU ZERR
09-04-2004, 12:12 PM
Hell boy was cool!!!
there is also supposed to be a Ghost rider movie in the works staring Nic Cage