PDA

View Full Version : Siamese

djstar
08-21-2004, 03:38 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Aug-2004/1730-SIAM.jpg
In the image library, this kitty is on red. I tried to find a piece in my suede but I thought the lovely gray lavendar was a boon. All these grays needed a little mellowing.
dj*

Khadres
08-21-2004, 05:35 PM
Awww, what a sweetie! Looks very mellow for a Siamese! Love it!

Artistammy
08-21-2004, 07:24 PM
Really nice. What did you use for those whiskers? I'm about to do a dog that has some whiskers. I would guess NuPastel or pastel pencil?

djstar
08-21-2004, 08:14 PM
Thanks!

Tammy, the whole thing is nupastel and cretacolor. I would suggest breaking a stick and using it on a flat razor edge for the lines. I was not really as crisp as I wished. Remember to keep the contrast deep enough to show the differentiation. I redid a lot of the light behind because it was too close in value.
dj*

pierak
08-21-2004, 08:49 PM
Hello,
Just wanted to say: WOW! Beautiful! And very inspiring to a novice! Thanks,
Piera

lawsportraits
08-22-2004, 09:39 AM
Hi DJ, I was wondering if you could show the ref pic. He's a cutie, but just wondering, 'cause structurally he looks more Tonkinese than Siamese. Most Siamese usually have larger ears and a more chiseled/angular/elegant face.

Also the strokes of hair on his face may need to be softened a bit. Is he lying on a pillow? His body looks a little awkward and scrunched. If so you could suggest the blanket or pillow he's lying on.

Sorry if i'm being too picky! :( :rolleyes: :p

Heather :D

djstar
08-22-2004, 09:51 AM
SEEE usually I only describe the cat.
Here is the library pic. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=29270&sort=1&cat=all&page=1) I suppose we need to contact Sheevuh and see what they think this cutie is!
dj*

Paula Ford
08-22-2004, 11:32 AM
This is absolutely gorgeous!!! My husband agrees!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Paula

bnoonan
08-22-2004, 01:27 PM
Nice work DJ - per usual -it's a treat to open your posts.

I have to ask... would you be willing to Jazz up those eyes a bit and add some colors and textures that just aren't in the photo? I seem to think of Siamese cats as mysterious and spell casting - it's the eyes that always do it for me.

If not - it's still a winner. Barb

djstar
08-22-2004, 01:33 PM
funny. Me too. There are three different blue sticks and white and black and gray in them now. I had them darker and brought them up again. There is a low key quality that I just love in this piece. The lack of hard pop is what I enjoyed. If you look at the reference, I was absolutly set on putting the red background in. I couldn't find a piece of red board so I started on this lovely gray violet. When I got to the eyes, I had strong colors and ended up giving up on the red, because it was too strong and going for the all over soft.
My himalayan was a lot different. She was asking for intensity in all that black. I will do a more. I have a photo from the library that is so cross-eyed one wonders how he can walk!! That little guy will probably end up more mysterious... if we don't end up laughing!
dj*

karenlee
08-23-2004, 01:32 PM
..he looks more Tonkinese than Siamese. Most Siamese usually have larger ears and a more chiseled/angular/elegant face.
Heather :D[/QUOTE]

I am entranced by the fine job on the eyes on your Siamese! Perfect Siamese eyes!

p.s. I have a Tonk, a Siamese and Burmese waiting for me to get home from work. KLK